ADVERTISEMENT

D-LINE 2-DEEP???

horntony

Jan 7, 2012
I think we are deep everywhere except DE n DT which concerns me greatly. Can anyone post a projected 2-deep on our d-line please.

I think we are deep everywhere except DE n DT which concerns me greatly. Can anyone post a projected 2-deep on our d-line please.
thanx for all the replies guys.....LOL.

So this is how i c our 2-deep

DE-ROACH, OMENIHU
DT-FORD,CHRISTMAS
DT-NELSON,DANIELS
DE-HAGER,GRAHAM

Is that all we got?

Orlando's base defense is a 3-3-5 personnel look, with 3 down linemen, 3 LB's and 5 DB's. The 3 linemen consist of a 0-technique NT and 2 DE's. The LB's are the Mike, Rover and Buck (hybrid OLB/DE - N. Hughes' position). The 5 DB's consist of a field (side) corner, boundary corner, field safety, boundary safety, and nickleback (PJ Locke's position). The corners and safeties line up according to the wide (field) and short (boundary) sides of the field. They do not line up left and right, or shadow designated receivers.

The DE's align the same way in most cases. The field/strong-side DE is more like a traditional strong-side DE in a 4-down look, and will kick out to the outside shoulder of the OT when the Buck LB lines up on the opposite end of the LOS as a stand-up rusher. The other DE is like a hybrid 3-4 DE/4-3 '3-technique' DT, who will kick inside towards the OG in that same situation.

In the spring game, the strong-side DE's were (in order): 1) Roach 2) Omenihu 3) Fitzgerald
The opposite DE's (hybrid DE/3-technique) were: 1) Nelson 2) Wilbon 3) Christmas
The NT's were: 1) Ford 2) Elliott 3) Daniels

With the departures of Elliott and Southall, and the arrivals of the freshmen DE's and Jamari Chisholm, Gerald Wilbon is the most likely to slide over to NT on the 2nd-team line behind Poona Ford. Chris Daniels is not even remotely close to the requisite physical conditioning to contend for a spot in the rotation, and was completely gassed during the 2nd half of the spring game despite playing minimal snaps with the 3rd-team defense.

Last edited:
Hager has been stationed at MLB (Mike), competing with Anthony Wheeler. He could also be deployed at the Buck LB position as a rusher if injuries to Hughes and/or McCullough necessitated it. He definitely will not be a base DE in this defense.

Graham projects to the strong-side DE position (behind Roach, etc.). Chisholm and Cummins project to the other DE spot (hybrid DE/3-technique DT).

Reactions: HornsRuleU
ADVERTISEMENT