ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Jenkins 1928/2019

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
This might be more for guys like me, oldmanastro, and the other posters on here that are my age. But imo Dan Jenkins was the greatest sportswriter of all time. His specialties were golf and college fb and when it came to the latter he had no peer.

He wrote numerous novels the best known was semi tough. Written 47 years ago a lot of it still holds up well. The story of the starting lineup still makes me lmao. Semi Tough turned into a trilogy. He wrote numerous novels. Fort Worth born and raised and a TCU horn frog through and through he captured the essence of Texas better than anyone. Try to goggle his fake interview with Tiger Woods he put that ahole in his place. Another great piece, maybe his best, written in SI in 1965 was the glory game at goat hills it's still a great read.

Long live Billy Clyde Puckett
Long live Semi Tough
Long live Dead Solid Perfect
Long live the 10 stages of drunkenness
Long live Dan Jenkins, HBO, and the 1960 US Open
Thanks for the memories Dan Jenkins
The best sportswriter of all time.
Dan Jenkins was 90

Heading out your way Cali this weekend taking the family to Newport Beach for spring break.
Any suggestions?

Just damn....I used to read Dan Jenkin's columns in SI when I was a kid just for laughs. First novel of his I ever read was "Life It's Ownself"....I was hooked. I have every book he ever wrote and I have given away several copies of "Baja Oklahoma" to country music fans. He probably knew more about college football than the entire staff of ESPN. It's a sad day. Jenkins made countless people fall in love in Texas, I was one of them.

Reactions: outhereincali
Just damn....I used to read Dan Jenkin's columns in SI when I was a kid just for laughs. First novel of his I ever read was "Life It's Ownself"....I was hooked. I have every book he ever wrote and I have given away several copies of "Baja Oklahoma" to country music fans. He probably knew more about college football than the entire staff of ESPN. It's a sad day. Jenkins made countless people fall in love in Texas, I was one of them.

You know it's bill**it when guys like Todd McShay or taking heads like Colin Cowherd and Steven A Smith are considered "experts" on college fb. Actually with a couple of exceptions they're all like that the internet is flooded with them. The best thing about college fb is tradition only baseball can match college fb for tradition and by that I mean for how long. Nobody understood that better than Dan Jenkins. Today's people have no regards whatsoever for that they think a long time ago was Ricky Williams. And you're right Dan Jenkins knows more than all of them combined that's not an exaggeration.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT