ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Mr. Tom

Honestly it looks a lot like Rugby tackling.

Rugby tackling video

He won Natl Championships and sent a lotta guys to the NFL Rugby Tackling! I think them Lineman gloves keep them from getting a good hold on the runner...Gloves on a wide receiver , does that mean ya can't catch barehanded/ Shit! Even the Waterpeople and trainers wear gloves nowdays...except for Mr Tom!

Reactions: HornNation101
He won Natl Championships and sent a lotta guys to the NFL Rugby Tackling! I think them Lineman gloves keep them from getting a good hold on the runner...Gloves on a wide receiver , does that mean ya can't catch barehanded/ Shit! Even the Waterpeople and trainers wear gloves nowdays...except for Mr Tom!

You realize that rugby style tackling is what Ash teaches right? The players didn't get a normal spring and offseason to work on it and they obviously aren't good at it yet. Let's see if they improve as the year goes.

Lol, you realize Ash did the same thing this century, in the last 5 years using rugby tackling. You do realize that the football DKR coached in the 60's is no where close to todays game. Kids today are bigger, stronger, and much faster. Today's offenses are much more complex as are defenses. Most important is that rules of the game have changed so much that most people from back then wouldn't recognize it.

What you have to realize is that Rugby players don't wear pads and thus tackling is designed to be both effective and safe to the tackler. For football, it also prevents targeting and neck and head injuries.

Reactions: OhioHorn25
Lol, you realize Ash did the same thing this century, in the last 5 years using rugby tackling. You do realize that the football DKR coached in the 60's is no where close to todays game. Kids today are bigger, stronger, and much faster. Today's offenses are much more complex as are defenses. Most important is that rules of the game have changed so much that most people from back then wouldn't recognize it.

What you have to realize is that Rugby players don't wear pads and thus tackling is designed to be both effective and safe to the tackler. For football, it also prevents targeting and neck and head injuries.

Well, there is a million excises for not winning a game, football was tougher back then than it is now, a few teams from back then would whip the shit outa some today..in fact the SWC was tougher than Big 12 today, maybe being less complex and doing your job on the field is better than complex? You can't replace HEART!

Well, there is a million excises for not winning a game, football was tougher back then than it is now, a few teams from back then would whip the shit outa some today..in fact the SWC was tougher than Big 12 today, maybe being less complex and doing your job on the field is better than complex? You can't replace HEART!
No way in hell a team from the 60’s is beating any top 25 team from nowadays. Athletes are bigger, stronger and faster nowadays.

Reactions: OhioHorn25
No way in hell a team from the 60’s is beating any top 25 team from nowadays. Athletes are bigger, stronger and faster nowadays.

You maybe right! But, then again you haven't seen what I have since the 50's In Longhorn FB....I do tell ya one thing, most of the players were more interested in Graduating then going to NFL....

There is a video on youtube of Purdue Wide Receiver Rondale Moore in high school Squating over 600 lbs.

Tell me another WR from back in the 50's or 60's or 70's that could do that. It really wasn't until the 80's that guys started to take weight training serious. Kids today are freaks

Reactions: StrangerHorn
You maybe right! But, then again you haven't seen what I have since the 50's In Longhorn FB....I do tell ya one thing, most of the players were more interested in Graduating then going to NFL....

Because back then the degree was worth more than playing in the NFL. Now a contract to play in the NFL is worth millions.

You may be right....may....be..

I have to say that I wish to hell there was a time machine, because a 225 LB Tommy Nobis would still be the best line backer in college football today. Earl Campbell ( damn!....he was from the 70's) would still run wild today.

Lombardi may have been one of the best coaches ever and he said....football is 2 things....blocking and tackling! You do that better than the other team and you win!

He also said...."take away their hope early" you do that and you win

I have to say that I wish to hell there was a time machine, because a 225 LB Tommy Nobis would still be the best line backer in college football today. Earl Campbell ( damn!....he was from the 70's) would still run wild today.

Lombardi may have been one of the best coaches ever and he said....football is 2 things....blocking and tackling! You do that better than the other team and you win!

Most teams back then wouldn't be able to beat teams today. However, there are select players that could absolutely play today. Nobis and Campbell are two of them. Both were absolute freaks.

As fast as James Saxton was, He only weight 160, I would put him up against a lotta guys we have now, DKR said he ran like a Hmmingbird fast and Darting Fantasic info below, He was a tough little shit!

By 1961 Saxton is key to the offense, so Royal re-tools the offense to fit James Saxton's skills. Royal said Saxton was a darting hummingbird. James pulled us out of so many games. Look at the Oklahoma game of 1961 and you’d think his mother put it (the game film) together.

Though he never took a snap in high school, Texas coach Darrell Royal envisioned Saxton as a quarterback, and so during his freshman and sophomore years that was the position he played.[1] Though in 1959, Texas would have no fewer than 6 quarterbacks and Saxton would see the least playing time of all of them.

After the 1959 season, Royal asked Saxton to switch to Halfback, the prime running back in the Winged-T formation and Saxton agreed. The following season, he led the Longhorns in rushing.[1]

In his senior season, Saxton and the Longhorns broke out. That season, he set the school and Southwest Conference record for yards per carry, became Texas' first consensus All-American running back and finished third in Heisman voting behind Syracuse's Ernie Davis and Ohio State's Bob Ferguson. The Longhorns, meanwhile, were ranked #1 for only the 3rd time in school history and the 1961 team was the first in school history to hold the #1 ranking for two weeks. It was the first Royal team to contend for the National Championship and went 10-1. After beating everyone but Oklahoma by at least 3 touchdowns and with only two very beatable teams left on the schedule, they seemed to be a lock to finish the season ranked #1. But they suffered their only loss in a shocking 6-0 upset at the hands of 24-point underdog TCU on a trick play, in a game that Saxton had to leave after he was knocked unconscious on a controversial knee-to-the-head early in the game.[2] He finished his career with a win over Mississippi in the 1962 Cotton Bowl in which he set the school record for longest punt in a bowl game with a 73-yard quick kick.[1]

By the time he reached his senior season Saxton was all the way up to 160 pounds, but still as quick as a minnow. Royal decided during that summer that he needed to get Saxton the ball at least 20-25 times a game.

Texas was running the wing-T at the time and Royal didn't want Saxton spending half the game at wingback. Royal took it another step and decided that in order to simplify blocking assignments he would have the strongside (guard, tackle, end, wingback) all flip to whatever side of the field was called for. Royal felt it would make for less confusion on the offensive line.

The coaches found out that it meant the halfbacks and the linemen only needed to learn half the assignments, which in turn cut down on busted plays.

The biggest problem was making sure that the team could smoothly break out of the huddle. Since the new formation was put in after spring football, Royal was worried about how it would work.

So Royal asked several athletic department staffers to join him at Gregory Gym so they could practice getting to the line of scrimmage. Royal assumed that if a bunch of administrators could flip smoothly then surely his players could as well.

The Flip-Flop formation was born.

About that goal of getting Saxton the ball 20-25 times a game. Not so much.

Saxton carried the ball exactly 107 times in 1961, for 846 yards or an obscene 7.9 yards per carry.

Saxton gained 173 yards on just 16 carries against SMU and then followed that up with 171 yards against Baylor.

Saxton would end up 3rd in the Heisman voting in 1961, and might have actually had an even stronger case for the trophy if not for the infamous "Cockroach" game.

Nov. 18, 1961

Texas was unbeaten and #1 in the Nation when a 2-4-1 TCU came into Austin. The Horns were a 24-point favorite, but TCU had gone to Columbus earlier in the year and fought the #1 Buckeyes to a 7-7 tie.

Sonny Gibbs, the Horned Frogs 6-7 QB hit Buddy Iles for a quick early touchdown and TCU led 6-0. Texas came right back when Saxton took a swing pass from Mike Cotton all the way down to the Horned Frog 10-yard line. As he quickly jumped up to his feet, Bobby Plummer, pursuing the play for TCU slammed into Saxton, knocking him unconscious.

Texas stalled and Saxton said later he couldn't remember a single thing about the first half. He actually returned to try and play in the second half, picked up 35 yards on two carries -- but fumbled at the TCU 5-yard line. TCU won 6-0.

Texas finished 9-1 and #3 in the nation, and went on to defeat Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl. It was after the the loss that Royal uttered his famous quote, comparing TCU to a cockroach:

"It isn't what he eats or totes off, but what he falls into and messes up."

Hook'em

Reactions: HornNation101
Most teams back then wouldn't be able to beat teams today. However, there are select players that could absolutely play today. Nobis and Campbell are two of them. Both were absolute freaks.

No way Campbell would play today. Physically yes. However go to youtube and look at his highlights, he would have to change his style due to targeting rule. He was a battering ram and when he lowers his head like he did back then he would be gone from the game. Campbell is a classic example of someone that used his helmet as a weapon.

ADVERTISEMENT