ADVERTISEMENT

De'Gabriel Floyd - Todd Orlando's newest weapon

Bwilk55

Jan 24, 2016
Not much chatter on here after a major commitment from California based OLB De'Gabriel Floyd. He is currently ranked as the number 40 player overall and the 3 highest ranked OLB. Very important pick up as the position is relatively weak in state. The young man is large at 6'2" and 220 pounds but moves incredibly well. The most impressive and illustrative thing about his game is his ability to play multiple positions.

For his high school he plays WR, wildcat QB, CB, Safety, LB and punt returner.

For Texas, he will be a great fit at the Rover position, a mix between a safety and a LB. He shows great ability to read and fill gaps against the run and blitz from the LB position. Further, he shows great coverage skills both sitting back as a safety and in 1 on 1 situations as a CB. His ability to do this, translates to a perfect rover candidate.

Check out his Junior highlights:

This isn't a question of his talent, but what level is his competition equivalent to here in Texas? I don't know enough about the way other states do their classifications. Some of the opponents in this video seem like they would more in line with a 2A or 3A high school.

Reactions: Cotton #12
This isn't a question of his talent, but what level is his competition equivalent to here in Texas? I don't know enough about the way other states do their classifications. Some of the opponents in this video seem like they would more in line with a 2A or 3A high school.

I live out here and believe me the competition is intense. Were talking about one of the top 3 states in producing top talent.

Now I live in northern CA but I do know that the L.A. area is right up there with Houston, Dallas, and Miami for top players.

If you're interested in the way they do it in northern CA is instead of districts they call them conferences. Of course they're grouped by size. And like LA the private schools and public schools play in the same conferences. They have three rounds in the playoffs the season usually ends the first weekend in December. In TX the playoffs are usually 6 rounds but CA is to big for that.

Now a few years ago they started a super league of sorts where there are 6 rounds. I live in the Sacramento area and a few years ago Folsom won the title. Keep an eye out for Jake Browning at WA this year. He qb'd that Folsom team to the title. I didn't see him in person but I saw him on the Friday night highlights and believe me that boy is the real deal. If he plays like he did his sophomore year he's a legitimate Heisman candidate.

And if I'm going to be honest about it the Sacramento area produces more P5 talent than my hometown of San Antonio. In terms of population they're both the same size but it's really not close.

Looks like the school has an enrollment of 2400. That's a pretty big school (bigger than my high school (Beaumont West Brook) and we played 5A division II back in my day, and I believe are 5A now under the new system). Given the high level of competition at the Texas 5A level, I would imagine similar competition in Cali.

Looks like the school has an enrollment of 2400. That's a pretty big school (bigger than my high school (Beaumont West Brook) and we played 5A division II back in my day, and I believe are 5A now under the new system). Given the high level of competition at the Texas 5A level, I would imagine similar competition in Cali.

Beaumont West Brook you say? Where James Brown went to hs. One of the top 3 qb's in the last 40 years at TX.

2 and 3a kids sometimes turn out to be pretty good. colt mccoy anyone? james washington?
Agreed, played basketball against Colt in high school, dude was dang good at that too! I wasn't saying this kid isn't good, just wasn't sure what kind of competition he was used to playing against. Sometimes that is the biggest hurdle for a kid is to take the step up in competition.

Reactions: RolloTomassi0309
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT