ADVERTISEMENT

Derrian Brown

Blood clot on the brain.

Prayers to the young man and his family.

That is terrible. Hope the young man has a fast and complete recovery.

Blood clot on the brain.

Prayers to the young man and his family.

Blood clot to the brain = ischemic stroke BTW. Very weird for an 18 year old to have, perhaps some underlying blood clotting disorder or arrhythmia, abnormal heart rhythm (just speculating).

Unverified but it sounds like they surgically removed the clot, which would seem to mean they caught things pretty quickly and thought they could save the brain tissue by removing the clot. In other words, if the brain tissue is already dead, no reason to treat the clot as you can't save what is already dead. Treating the clot means they felt that they could restore blood flow and save the brain tissue.

His dad tweeted today that things are better. Thats good news. If the brain tissue didn't die, ie infarct, his healthy young brain could probably recover without any loss of function. Let's hope that is the case for this young man.

The other aspect will be determining why this happened. If a clotting disorder or arrhythmia he may have to be on anticoagulation which may be enough of a reason to stop contact sports.

Time will tell. Most importantly, I hope Derrian makes a full recovery and this doesn't continue to impact him going forward. I would hate for this young man to lose his football career but that is secondary at this time.

Blood clot to the brain = ischemic stroke BTW. Very weird for an 18 year old to have, perhaps some underlying blood clotting disorder or arrhythmia, abnormal heart rhythm (just speculating).

Unverified but it sounds like they surgically removed the clot, which would seem to mean they caught things pretty quickly and thought they could save the brain tissue by removing the clot. In other words, if the brain tissue is already dead, no reason to treat the clot as you can't save what is already dead. Treating the clot means they felt that they could restore blood flow and save the brain tissue.

His dad tweeted today that things are better. Thats good news. If the brain tissue didn't die, ie infarct, his healthy young brain could probably recover without any loss of function. Let's hope that is the case for this young man.

The other aspect will be determining why this happened. If a clotting disorder or arrhythmia he may have to be on anticoagulation which may be enough of a reason to stop contact sports.

Time will tell. Most importantly, I hope Derrian makes a full recovery and this doesn't continue to impact him going forward. I would hate for this young man to lose his football career but that is secondary at this time.
I think a subarachnoid hemorrhage would be much more common. Yes, the clot needs to be removed. Perhaps a Berry aneurysm. Which many of us carry to our graves unnoticed.

I think a subarachnoid hemorrhage would be much more common. Yes, the clot needs to be removed. Perhaps a Berry aneurysm. Which many of us carry to our graves unnoticed.

Perhaps, I am not sure where the "blood clot" info came from but that it what has been speculated.

Subarachnoid would also better explain the reported seizures as blood is very irritating to the brain.

Either way, hoping for good news and a full recovery.

I'm curious if playing football had a direct impact on this. A kid at my high school died from a brain aneurysm back in 1982. A hit to the head triggered the aneurysm, so I'm wondering if this was the result of a hit to the head?

I'm curious if playing football had a direct impact on this. A kid at my high school died from a brain aneurysm back in 1982. A hit to the head triggered the aneurysm, so I'm wondering if this was the result of a hit to the head?

Doubtful considering that this doesn't seem to be related to a blow to the head.

Also, if this was a blood clot (I have seen the facebook post for what its worth) that would indicate this wasn't an aneurysm related stroke (subdural hemorrhagic stroke) but an ischemic stroke.

Okay, I'm no doctor, and I won't pretend I know what I'm talking about, but I did a little research on Ischemic Strokes and here is what I found.

Ischemic stroke is the most common type. It is usually caused by a blood clot that blocks or plugs a blood vessel in the brain. This keeps blood from flowing to the brain. Within minutes, brain cells begin to die. Another cause is stenosis, or narrowing of the artery.

What happens when you have a ischemic stroke?

Ischemic stroke can be divided into two main types: thrombotic and embolic. Deprived of oxygen and other nutrients, the brain suffers damage as a result of the stroke. A thrombotic stroke occurs when diseased or damaged cerebral arteries become blocked by the formation of a blood clot within the brain.

What are the effects of a ischemic stroke?

These are often due to complications related to high cholesterol, high blood pressure, smoking, and diabetes. A stroke can be caused by bleeding, known as a hemorrhagic stroke, or blocked blood flow called an ischemic stroke. A clot typically causes blocked blood flow strokes.

What is a ischemic stroke caused by?

Ischemic strokes occur when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow (ischemia). The most common ischemic strokes include: Thrombotic stroke. A thrombotic stroke occurs when a blood clot (thrombus) forms in one of the arteries that supply blood to your brain.

Can you recover from a ischemic stroke?

For patients with ischemic stroke who qualify, their path leads to treatment with tPA. ... The bulk of recovery occurs by about three months after the stroke, Cole says. After that, gains are incremental. Still, he says, people who are diligent with their rehabilitation can continue to improve for up to two years.

Who gets it?

Ischemic stroke is by far the most common kind of stroke, accounting for about 88 percent of all strokes. Stroke can affect people of all ages, including children. Many people with ischemic strokes are older (60 or more years old), and the risk of stroke increases with age. Each year, about 55,000 more women than men have a stroke, and it is more common among African-Americans than members of other ethnic groups. Many people with stroke have other problems or conditions which put them at higher risk for stroke, such as high blood pressure (hypertension), heart disease, smoking, or diabetes.

Doubtful considering that this doesn't seem to be related to a blow to the head.

Also, if this was a blood clot (I have seen the facebook post for what its worth) that would indicate this wasn't an aneurysm related stroke (subdural hemorrhagic stroke) but an ischemic stroke.
What? Blood clots eventually. Look up hemorrhagic stroke. By the way, I am a retired physician.

What? Blood clots eventually. Look up hemorrhagic stroke. By the way, I am a retired physician.

Agreed, but the treatment for a hemorrhagic stroke caused by aneurysm would be embolization of the bleeding vessel not thrombectomy. If the bleed was causing some mass effect, maybe you'd do a burr hole and evacuation of the clot. Also a physician by the way (Internal Medicine).

Again, the only report, and it's not a reliable one (random facebook post), is pointing towards thrombectomy so I would GUESS this was an embolic stroke. This could be an errant post, and aneurysm would definitely be a concern in a young man. If embolic, the question is why?

a side note here.....even on texags site which is as rabidly anti Texas as anyone , they are sending prayers and get well wishes out for Brown. Classy of them in my opinion no matter what I think of them.

To me, TAMU is a brother. You fight and argue but at the end of the day, that's your brother. Things have gotten a bit nastier since the conference changes, but still brothers. Nice to see things are still that way.

OU is a the red-headed brat down the street that you truly want to beat the crap out of.

Okay, I'm no doctor, and I won't pretend I know what I'm talking about, but I did a little research on Ischemic Strokes and here is what I found.

Ischemic stroke is the most common type. It is usually caused by a blood clot that blocks or plugs a blood vessel in the brain. This keeps blood from flowing to the brain. Within minutes, brain cells begin to die. Another cause is stenosis, or narrowing of the artery.

What happens when you have a ischemic stroke?

Ischemic stroke can be divided into two main types: thrombotic and embolic. Deprived of oxygen and other nutrients, the brain suffers damage as a result of the stroke. A thrombotic stroke occurs when diseased or damaged cerebral arteries become blocked by the formation of a blood clot within the brain.

What are the effects of a ischemic stroke?

These are often due to complications related to high cholesterol, high blood pressure, smoking, and diabetes. A stroke can be caused by bleeding, known as a hemorrhagic stroke, or blocked blood flow called an ischemic stroke. A clot typically causes blocked blood flow strokes.

What is a ischemic stroke caused by?

Ischemic strokes occur when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow (ischemia). The most common ischemic strokes include: Thrombotic stroke. A thrombotic stroke occurs when a blood clot (thrombus) forms in one of the arteries that supply blood to your brain.

Can you recover from a ischemic stroke?

For patients with ischemic stroke who qualify, their path leads to treatment with tPA. ... The bulk of recovery occurs by about three months after the stroke, Cole says. After that, gains are incremental. Still, he says, people who are diligent with their rehabilitation can continue to improve for up to two years.

Who gets it?

Ischemic stroke is by far the most common kind of stroke, accounting for about 88 percent of all strokes. Stroke can affect people of all ages, including children. Many people with ischemic strokes are older (60 or more years old), and the risk of stroke increases with age. Each year, about 55,000 more women than men have a stroke, and it is more common among African-Americans than members of other ethnic groups. Many people with stroke have other problems or conditions which put them at higher risk for stroke, such as high blood pressure (hypertension), heart disease, smoking, or diabetes.

This is pretty good info. The two questions for Derrian will be the recovery, does he have any permanent damage that would cause lasting weakness or dis-coordination.

And, the cause of the stroke. The listed factors above are the reasons older folks have strokes. The causes are very different for a teenager - and depending on what they determine for Derrian, it could be career ending even if he does physically recover.

To me, TAMU is a brother. You fight and argue but at the end of the day, that's your brother. Things have gotten a bit nastier since the conference changes, but still brothers. Nice to see things are still that way.

OU is a the red-headed brat down the street that you truly want to beat the crap out of.

If aggy was my brother, Ida dropped his little ass down a well a long time ago.

BBR, thank you for posting the gofundme link. That account is rolling along nicely.

BBR, we won't talk about that other goddamn weekend wrecker thread you posted today.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Perhaps, I am not sure where the "blood clot" info came from but that it what has been speculated.

Subarachnoid would also better explain the reported seizures as blood is very irritating to the brain.

Either way, hoping for good news and a full recovery.
You two fvckin nerds ;)

Pretty close....but they are the younger, annoying brother who was barely tolerable when living under the same roof. Now little brother has gotten himself married to this harridan bitch SEC. SEC is a good looking but shallow whore who is just going to take little brother for everything he is worth. We tried to warn him but like little brothers often do, he thinks with the wrong head. Now he runs around showing off his trophy wife and declining invitations to family gatherings.

I can’t believe you brought OU fans into this thread. The thread is about Derrian’s health. Why would a fan of any team not want the best for this kid? You guys are silly. Some dip shit on here wished an injury on Kyler Murray. That is class?

The thread is about Derrian’s health. Why would a fan of any team not want the best for this kid?
This.

The word "classy" is reserved for sophistication and style, not for doing what any normal human being ought to do.

I harbor no ill will towards any human, whether that person be Sooner, Aggie, other or non-graduate. Any race, faith, political party or sex. And neither should anyone wish ill upon Longhorns. That isn't being classy, but normal.

Reactions: q1w2e3 and mm42
Anyone know the latest on Derrian?

Only thing I've seen come out recently was a post, perhaps from a family member, talking about how happy they were to see him lifting his arm and leg up.

Seems like he probably had a pretty significant hemiparalysis (inability to move one side of the body) that was improving over a few days. Good news is that it was improving, bad news is that the injury started as pretty significant.

17 hours ago:

Derrian continues to fight like the champ he is. His swelling looks better today. Still following commands. He is even blinking once for yes and twice for no!! They will do a procedure in the morning to check his heart out thoroughly. So prayers that all goes well with that!!

26 minutes ago:

Good morning, update on Derrian, he had a good night, swelling went down alot from surgery they will be removing his chest tube today along with trying to decide on removing the tube from his mouth. The test on his heart isn't showing anymore than what we was told about it which is a GREAT THING. He has those BIG bright eyes open and watching every move. Continue to pour on thoses prayers. #DB3 STRONG

Report this morning is the physical therapist had Derrian up and walking today.

Great news. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he can fully recover his physical capabilities. Strokes tend to be all or none. The brain tissue is either dead or it's not dead. If it was dead, he wouldn't be able to move everything and walk this soon. Some damaged areas can heal and the brain (especially a young healthy brain) can do a lot of remarkable things in terms of parts of the brain taking over roles of other damaged parts.

The question now is what caused this and what treatment may he require? Could it be something like a blood thinner that prevents him from playing football (Ala Chris Bosh)?

^^^
From the little information out there about the tests that were being done post surgery medical people were speculating that the clot was elsewhere in the body and got dislodged. From what medical pundits are saying a year of no contact and blood thinners before you can start evaluating if he can return to football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT