ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone here follow horse racing?

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
The Kentucky Derby is this Saturday the first of the Triple Crown. I don't follow horse racing myself but I always try to make time to watch the Derby. The Super Bowl is by far the biggest single event in American Sports. It's gotten to the point where it's now SB week and there's big parties for the well heeled, celebrities etc... But the Derby is the same way those box seats probably cost as much as a ticket for the Super Bowl. And the stadiums are huge I think Churchill Downs holds 150,000. Really. For reasons that I don't understand I like watching the women in their derby hats :)

But that's the extent of my knowledge. I don't have the slightest idea about how to bet on the horses. I do realize that the thoroughbreds are magnificent creatures, people say they are great athletes, and they probably are. They say that the jockeys are good athletes but I wouldn't know.

But for 2 and a half minutes it is exciting.

If there is anyone on here who knows something about horse racing I'd like to learn something from you.

The Kentucky Derby is this Saturday the first of the Triple Crown. I don't follow horse racing myself but I always try to make time to watch the Derby. The Super Bowl is by far the biggest single event in American Sports. It's gotten to the point where it's now SB week and there's big parties for the well heeled, celebrities etc... But the Derby is the same way those box seats probably cost as much as a ticket for the Super Bowl. And the stadiums are huge I think Churchill Downs holds 150,000. Really. For reasons that I don't understand I like watching the women in their derby hats :)

But that's the extent of my knowledge. I don't have the slightest idea about how to bet on the horses. I do realize that the thoroughbreds are magnificent creatures, people say they are great athletes, and they probably are. They say that the jockeys are good athletes but I wouldn't know.

But for 2 and a half minutes it is exciting.

If there is anyone on here who knows something about horse racing I'd like to learn something from you.
All I recall from my years in Lou ah vull, is get a good racing form look at the lineage... has the horse stepped up in class and done well....strong finish is big also (last quarter mile)
Otherwise I just bet the gray...lol
And an occasional filly (they are overdue)

Horse racing fanatic here. The Triple Crown (esp the Derby) is my Super Bowl. The Derby is the longest running 'sporting' event in the US, so there is a lot of history and idiosyncrasies to the race. I will preface by stating that I cannot help you with the betting aspect of it, as I am not a gambler by any measure, however, I will try and fit in two plus decades of following horse racing into this condensed post:

Three races make up the Triple Crown for the best crop of 3 year olds, beginning with the Derby the first Saturday in May, then to the Preakness (Baltimore) two weeks after and the shortest of the three, then three weeks after the running of the Preakness is the Belmont in NY the longest of the three. (The Great Sandy has claimed the hopes of many great Triple Crown hopefuls.) Then the largest purse in North America is the Breeder's Cup Classic run during football season (so it doesn't get too much coverage but the winner gets a nice $5 million boost and bragging rights.)

Specifically relating to the Derby, the main race is the very last, but there are many undercard races of general interest run throughout the day. The Kentucky Oaks is run on the Friday before the Derby and is reserved for the best crop of 3 year old fillies. (Songbird was blazing through toward a Oaks win last year, however, she was pulled because of an illness.)

Typically one can gauge some early-on favorites by the graded stakes run to qualify for the Derby. They recently (two years ago, if memory serves right) changed the point system, but either way, look for the Juvenile Breeder's champ to be the early favorite coming into the new season. Last year's champion was Classic Empire out of Pioneerof The Nile (also studding the last Triple Crown Winner, American Pharoah). He can be a bit rank, but has the talent. The horse making a ton of noise out of the Florida Derby is Always Dreaming who logged a time that was comparable to the great Alydar, a colt from the famed and troubled Calumet Farms. (Side note: Alydar was the only horse to finish 2nd in all three Triple Crown races to the great Affirmed.) With that being said, the track for the FL Derby has had some trouble with time keeping, so many in the racing world is quite suspicious of the official time. Then there is Irish War Cry (name alone is enough for me) but he is out of the great Curlin whose earnings won him the title of the winningest North American racehorse, and was only surpassed by the lovable California Chrome only last year.

One should not rest upon the laurels of previous races. There are a great amount of variables and come with each race. Gate position is a huge factor. Breaking from gate 20 or 1 in a 20 horse field (the size of the typical Derby field barring scratches and such which is a problem in and of itself) puts the horse in a great disadvantage. (The ideal is 5-15.) If your favorite pony draws post 17, good luck. No horse has ever won from that post.

People tend to gauge a horse by its trainer as well. Baffert has been dominate of late. However, his best bet this year, Mastery, was pulled from Derby talk after sustaining a none life threatening injury this spring. Todd Pletcher is always a one to keep an eye on, and also Desormeaux is making a name for himself.

Churchill Downs itself doesn't quite seat all 130K+, they permit attendance in the infield. As for the boxes, well, there are a few areas unabashedly called 'Millions Row', tickets are definitely hard to come by and the airport is always filled with private jets. (Think the scene of when the Horns traveled to Ole Miss.) But it is a place to be seen, no doubt. The grounds of Churchill Downs has the placard with all the past Derby winners hung along the perimeter of the main building, with the Triple Crown winners' names in yellow instead of standard white.

The food associated with the Derby is of course the Hot Brown sandwich named after the fantastic Brown Hotel. (Certainly worth the visit, and then head to the Seelbach Hotel down the way, a haunt of famous folks from Al Capone to F. Scott Fitzgerald.)

Derby hats and bowties are of course the standard, but if you ever want to check out something even more incredible, try out the Ascot run in England. Do they take it over the top.

There have been a few great fillies in the past decade or so to run in one of the Triple Crown races: the tragic 8 Belles (who lost her life after placing against Big Brown) and of course Oaks winner Rachel Alexandra who jockey Calvin Borel chose to ride over Derby winner Mine that Bird in the Preakness. (Still my thought that if Borel rode Mine that Bird, the Triple Crown drought would have be ended that year.)

The variables are incredible to have any shot to even qualify for the Derby, but the race itself is full of intrigue that at times things can go wrong for the favorite and things can go right for a 91-1 underdog (Donerail, 1913). It is so much fun to place your hopes on a horse and go from there.

Hope this post helps a little.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this poster is looking to make a couple of bucks, not breed thoroughbreds. If that's the case, it works out in the long run to just bet on decent horses to place...that is, not long shots or favorites. Good, solid 4 to 10-1 horses to come in first or second.

I generally bet on the horse that takes a poop on the way to the starting gate. I'm an expert. o_O

Is there anyone here besides me who thinks Cedric the Entertainer is funny? Try and youtube a concert he did on HBO/Showtime can't remember which one. It's called Cedric Taking You Higher. Anyway one of his shticks is what if black people were involved with sports you don't associate with black people. He does a thing where black people own and are naming the horses in the Kentucky Derby but with black sounding names. Check it out it was hilarious.

I do know the Triple Crown is a remarkable achievment one that is rarely done. I remember Secretariat winning it. I was a teenager but thinking what a remarkable animal he was. When he won the Belmont, the third leg of the triple derby, it wasn't even close.

I can't remember his name but there was a horse who won the TC in 1978. Then came the drought. In 2014 there was California Chrome who won the first two but he lost the Belmont by a nose. I was yelling, cheering him on to win it, I felt bad for the horse and the jockey they came so close.

Finally in 2015 the drought was broken when American Pharaoh pulled it off.

A fun sport to watch. I remember when the Retama Race track first came to my home town of San Antonio. When it opened every night was like a mob for the first few months. There it's quarter horses and it was fun to watch.

Reactions: westx
I always watch looking for that great horse and the event to me goes better with with some coke,ice and Kentucky made bourbon for the occasion.

Last edited:
I do know the Triple Crown is a remarkable achievment one that is rarely done. I remember Secretariat winning it. I was a teenager but thinking what a remarkable animal he was. When he won the Belmont, the third leg of the triple derby, it wasn't even close.

I can't remember his name but there was a horse who won the TC in 1978. Then came the drought. In 2014 there was California Chrome who won the first two but he lost the Belmont by a nose. I was yelling, cheering him on to win it, I felt bad for the horse and the jockey they came so close.

A fun sport to watch. I remember when the Retama Race track first came to my home town of San Antonio. When it opened every night was like a mob for the first few months. There it's quarter horses and it was fun to watch.

Watching American Pharaoh win the Triple Crown was fun. It's an exciting 2-3 minutes.
I've been to Retama Park a few times, actually took my pregnant wife with our first child. I was bummed because across the street Linkin Park was playing a concert and I couldn't go.

That Secretriat Belmont was something of a marvel. No owner wanted to race their horse against Secretrariat and that is why there was only a 5 horse field. Sham, a great horse in his own right and like Alydar who would have been a Triple Crown winner in any other year, gave up in that race.

Affirmed was the last Triple Crown winner before Pharoah broke the drought.

California Chrome came back and ran amazing Dubai Cup (twice) along with a Breeder's Cup win. He was undefeated last season going into his second Breeder's Cup Classic, but Arrogate took him in the final moments. I believe Chrome is now onto studding duties. For Belmont, there has been much talk of the qualifications and how the owners prep their horses for it. Horses who forgo the Triple Crown chase can still qualify for the second or third leg. With the Belmont, the winner of the Peter Pan Stakes typically enter. That gives the horse two advantages: 1. knowing the track and 2. more refreshed than the Triple Crown contender. And many owners who had a horse that did not win the Derby will choose to rest their horse and pull out of the Preakness so that their horse will be fresher for the Belmont, putting the Triple Crown contender at a stark disadvantage. Chrome's Belmont was the first case, where Tonalist - the Peter Pan Stakes winner - came in fresher and more keen on the track he had already won on and took the race.

If you remember Smarty Jones, his Belmont was pretty much the same. He was fighting his jockey all the way down the far turn and wound up expending too much. Touch Gold did the same to Silver Charm, and Real Quiet had the same result in the Belmont as well.

Did someone say horse racing? Is Sarah Jessica Parker racing Chelsea Clinton?

(Jeez I wish I knew how to post photos on here)

1. Always Dreaming
2. Lookin at Lee
3. Battle of Midway
4. Classic Empire
5. Practical Joke

Okay. Preakness time. Favorites by odds are:
1. Always Dreaming
2. classic Empire
3. Lookin at Lee
4. Conquest Mo Money (my personal favorite)
5. Gunnevera
6. Coud Computing
7. Multiplier
8. Hence
9. Senior Investment
10. Term of Art

That was interesting (and fun to watch since I wasn’t involved).
Can you explain further?

That was interesting (and fun to watch since I wasn’t involved).
Can you explain further?

The video shows one man punch another in the back of the head before others pile in in chaotic scenes.

A group of women are shown desperately trying to break-up the melee before security finally arrive.

Even then the brawl continues as security staff struggle to pull about the fighting punters.

Two people were injured in the fight, which took place yesterday.

Witnesses said the violence spilled out from Ascot and continued up a nearby street.

A spokesman for ascot confirmed two people were hurt while others were ejected from the racecourse.

He said: “Sadly, an irresponsible minority can impact on the majority.

It is believed the fight may have been between rival groups of football fans, as those involved were heard singing football-related chants at each other before the outbreak of violence. Fighting was later reported on Ascot high street. Thames Valley police, which had officers outside the track, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Still looking for the horse race between Sarah Jessica Parker and Chelsea Clinton.....

I do not miss the Belmont Stakes if there is a chance for a Triple Crown Winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT