ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Campbell

TX1972

Oct 31, 2012
Ate lunch at Schobel's in Columbus Tuesday. Saw him as I was driving the wife to Houston for a dr's appointment. Does anyone know why he needs that walker? If it was knees, couldn't he get them replaced? Does he have a back problem of some sort?

Earl only knew one way, he ran through you. Beast amongst beasts, imo. Tough sumbitch. One of my faves. He put his all on the line game after game. Dang, he's been hobblin close to 20 years now. At least he's still walkin. I buy his hotlinks every now and then.

Reactions: horn4life11
Bum Phillips knew they were killing him with all those carries, but he said ...how con you have Earl and not use him? Even more than that....Phillips said Earl was the best blocker in football....if they did a fake to Earl, all 11 men piled on...He never got a play away from contact.

Ate lunch at Schobel's in Columbus Tuesday. Saw him as I was driving the wife to Houston for a dr's appointment. Does anyone know why he needs that walker? If it was knees, couldn't he get them replaced? Does he have a back problem of some sort?
Earl was born with a degenerative back issue and the way he played exacerbated the problem tremendously. That’s the main reason he has trouble walking plus his knees have given him a hard time, also. I hate to see him struggle like he has to especially after being such an incredible athlete. Saw his last high school game when he was a senior at John Tyler and they beat the three time defending champion, Austin Reagan, 21-14. Saw him play many times with the Horns and countless times with the Love Ya Blue Oilers. He is my favorite player of all time at any position!

Bum Phillips knew they were killing him with all those carries, but he said ...how con you have Earl and not use him? Even more than that....Phillips said Earl was the best blocker in football....if they did a fake to Earl, all 11 men piled on...He never got a play away from contact.
I loved the comment that Bum made once when someone asked him if he ever got worried while watching Earl get up slowly after going down. His answer, “Not really. He goes down slow, also.”

I had heard a statement about Earl’s back and neck. It said that if UT had the medical technology then that we have now, Earl would not have been allowed to play football here. Probably the greatest to ever wear the orange and white.
I agree with Earl maybe being the greatest horn brother but, do you really think cfb or any university for that matter are really concerned with possible inherited hip/back/bone deficiencies? I seriously doubt any university's sports medical technology procedure goes that in depth with recruiting even to this day?

Last edited:
I loved the comment that Bum made once when someone asked him if he ever got worried while watching Earl get up slowly after going down. His answer, “Not really. He goes down slow, also.”
Got to see Bum and Earl once at Barton Creek on the driving range talking back and forth. It was one of the most glorious conversations I've ever been party to.

Earl, walks/limps over after hitting some balls and slowly sits down, very gingerly, and let's out slight groan/moan as he does so and then exhales.

"Bum!" He shouts. "BUM!" A little louder this time.
Bum looks back and says "what? I'm trying to hit some damn balls!"

Earl says "Bum..... my knees hurt. You know, you ran me too hard.... you know that."

Bum smiles and looks back down at his golf ball.
"Earl...." he says "I ran your black ass right into the hall of fame."

Earl dies laughing--- I almost choke on my Copenhagen.

Got to see Bum and Earl once at Barton Creek on the driving range talking back and forth. It was one of the most glorious conversations I've ever been party to.

Earl, walks/limps over after hitting some balls and slowly sits down, very gingerly, and let's out slight groan/moan as he does so and then exhales.

Earl says "Bum..... my knees hurt. You know, you ran me too hard.... you know that."

That is awesome!!!

Reactions: Oilfield

Jim Brown advised Earl to get up slowly after every carry. Brown was generally hated by most NFL players because he was black. Brown said he got up slowly after every play because he never wanted the defense to know when he was hurt.

Earl is my favorite athlete of all time. I was in junior high when Earl and John Tyler ripped through our 180lb. defensive tackles - talk about a mismatch. That John Tyler team had some talent. Ronnie Lee was a tight end that played for BU and the Dolphins for many years - huge.. Andrew Melontree was a 6'5"all conference DE at Baylor. Earl had younger twin brothers that also played at UT. To paraphrase Lee Corso - the game was over when the opponent saw these giants get off the bus. Greatest Texas HS of all time? Debate me.

Earl is my favorite athlete of all time. I was in junior high when Earl and John Tyler ripped through our 180lb. defensive tackles - talk about a mismatch. That John Tyler team had some talent. Ronnie Lee was a tight end that played for BU and the Dolphins for many years - huge.. Andrew Melontree was a 6'5"all conference DE at Baylor. Earl had younger twin brothers that also played at UT. To paraphrase Lee Corso - the game was over when the opponent saw these giants get off the bus. Greatest Texas HS of all time? Debate me.
I guess I will. But what a best team ever? best hs at producing talent?

If I'm understanding your question correctly than for me on both counts it would be Dallas Carter's 1988 team. They had 18 players that signed scholarships.

Reactions: horn4life11
If I could have a golf fivesome you can bet your ass I’d have Earl, Barry, John Daly, prolly DKR. And I don’t like UT!! But the stories that you could hear.....

Reactions: freeper
slow your roll on Earl being the best player ever....Not that I disagree with you....but Tommy Nobis was pure greatness. He made first team AA on defense AND offense. College and pros, his own team mates hated practicing with/against him because he hurt em so bad. He could never slow down.

After the 1963 RRS where OU came in at # 1 and UT at # 2, one of the OU players was interviewed. He said they were at the stadium before the game. They went to where the UT bus was rolling up to stand around and intimidate the UT players.Then he said "this kid gets off the bus and glares at us. We had never seen a neck like that.....I swear we lost that game then and there"

I agree with Earl maybe being the greatest horn brother but, do you really think cfb or any university for that matter are really concerned with possible inherited hip/back/bone deficiencies? I seriously doubt any university's sports medical technology procedure goes that in depth with recruiting even to this day?
DeGabriel Floyd would say, yeah

Reactions: Metcalf #2

Had to create a throwaway account to point out that this clown is lying once again. Not even a UT grad. Got booted out - hard. Embarrassing to behave this way at his age.

slow your roll on Earl being the best player ever....Not that I disagree with you....but Tommy Nobis was pure greatness. He made first team AA on defense AND offense. College and pros, his own team mates hated practicing with/against him because he hurt em so bad. He could never slow down.

After the 1963 RRS where OU came in at # 1 and UT at # 2, one of the OU players was interviewed. He said they were at the stadium before the game. They went to where the UT bus was rolling up to stand around and intimidate the UT players.Then he said "this kid gets off the bus and glares at us. We had never seen a neck like that.....I swear we lost that game then and the

look guys. all due respect. I SAID, ALL DUE RESPECT... but you're crazier than a kardashian at the nba all-star game if you think anybody except vince is our GOAT. for that matter, he's college football's GOAT. and i know earl was wonderful, but i've actually watched some of the games-- the hyperbole doesn't get through to me. ricky was also great (just as great?... better even?...maybe). but vince is the best college football player EVER.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Had to create a throwaway account to point out that this clown is lying once again. Not even a UT grad. Got booted out - hard. Embarrassing to behave this way at his age.
Interesting. Please provide documentation supporting your accusations.
Please do not destroy the living vicariously through the Clob!
In other words, GTFO!!

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I think James Saxton was the fastest of the running backs , him and Jamal Charles was neck and neck in my book...

so why create a fake account to make an accusation? If you have any balls just stand up under your own name and accuse away!

Hell, everyone here is already under an assumed name. You surely didnt try and look me up in the phone book under oldhorn? It is easy enough to find out Clobs true identidy....he is open for having a beer with anyone that bothers to accecpt his invitations which he makes frequently.

"not even a UT grad"...I am sure lots on here aren't either.....big deal...."got booted out"....again, so what? I damned near did myself.

Clob does not need me to defend him, but I do tend to get my hackles up when someone comes after .."one of our own"

Reactions: StrangerHorn
ADVERTISEMENT