ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Campbell

Earl Campbell did more for solving race relations in the State of Texas than any man, including Martin Luther King, Jr. , Jackie Robinson, Abe Lincoln or Ulysses S. Grant. We loved him at UT and the entire State of Texas (Aggies and Cowboys even) loved him as an Oiler....Everybody Loved Earl.

After Mack won the NC, before the next season he was honored at the Touchdown Club in Houston (which is a tremendously respected club and a great honor). On the head table were Mack, Darrell, Chris Gilbert and other UT football legends. Earl was not up there.

He arrived after the banquet began with a cane. The speaker stopped. The entire room stood up for Earl (including Mack and Darrell) for over 5 minutes. Nobody said a word. It was stone silence. He moved methodically and slowly and shook some hands as he walked to his table. I have never seen such reverence for any man in my entire life.

PS--I always suspected Earl was not at the head table because it would have required him to climb a short set of steps. It had nothing to do with any disrespect.

PPS--I always thought it was unusual DKR did not speak during the ceremony. After his death when it became public of his battle with Alzheimer's it became apparent why he had not.

look guys. all due respect. I SAID, ALL DUE RESPECT... but you're crazier than a kardashian at the nba all-star game if you think anybody except vince is our GOAT. for that matter, he's college football's GOAT. and i know earl was wonderful, but i've actually watched some of the games-- the hyperbole doesn't get through to me. ricky was also great (just as great?... better even?...maybe). but vince is the best college football player EVER.

I cant argue with that. I dont know if Earl or Tommy would argue with that either. There is no way to be any better at what the position required than Earl was or Nobis was....but QB is the master position and no one could be better at it than Vince.....said I respectfully....

look guys. all due respect. I SAID, ALL DUE RESPECT... but you're crazier than a kardashian at the nba all-star game if you think anybody except vince is our GOAT. for that matter, he's college football's GOAT. and i know earl was wonderful, but i've actually watched some of the games-- the hyperbole doesn't get through to me. ricky was also great (just as great?... better even?...maybe). but vince is the best college football player EVER.
Good lord son.

Earl Campbell did more for solving race relations in the State of Texas than any man, including Martin Luther King, Jr. , Jackie Robinson, Abe Lincoln or Ulysses S. Grant. We loved him at UT and the entire State of Texas (Aggies and Cowboys even) loved him as an Oiler....Everybody Loved Earl.

After Mack won the NC, before the next season he was honored at the Touchdown Club in Houston (which is a tremendously respected club and a great honor). On the head table were Mack, Darrell, Chris Gilbert and other UT football legends. Earl was not up there.

He arrived after the banquet began with a cane. The speaker stopped. The entire room stood up for Earl (including Mack and Darrell) for over 5 minutes. Nobody said a word. It was stone silence. He moved methodically and slowly and shook some hands as he walked to his table. I have never seen such reverence for any man in my entire life.

PS--I always suspected Earl was not at the head table because it would have required him to climb a short set of steps. It had nothing to do with any disrespect.

PPS--I always thought it was unusual DKR did not speak during the ceremony. After his death when it became public of his battle with Alzheimer's it became apparent why he had not.
Agreed

when DKR was recruiting Earl, DKR made the statement to Earl that there was a lot of money floating around for recruits and he needed to be careful to not get in trouble taking any. Earl looked him in the eye and said.."my people were bought and sold for over 200 years....ain't nobody buying Earl Campbel"

I saw the same games. But calling VY the goat of cfb is a long stretch my man. We all have our favorites though, nothing wrong with that.

Earl Campbell was an absolute badass, but I still haven't seen anyone put an offense on his shoulders and win games the way Vince Young did.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Look I’m not going to comment on the gist of your post but your first zinger about the Kardashian’s at an NBA all star game is pretty funny....and true

i've actually watched some of the games.
So I was out and about this weekend and I see Jim Carola who may or may not be a neighbor of mine in NB and may or not be currently selling his house but that’s a whole other convo.. Jim was the longtime announcer for the Oilers at the Astrodome and Texans at NRG as well as a radio sports personality.
Anyway I figured Jim would have a pretty good take and his favorite was obviously Earl but could see how both were the best during their respective college playing career. So, that’s a pretty balanced answer I thought.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT