ADVERTISEMENT

Fanatic Perspective

curveball1

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2016
Houston
I'm going to post this link and then duck. Allow me to explain. I've been as vocal as anyone else over the last two losses that we have taken. When Ketch asked for a name equivalent for the presser today, my best idea was Photo Chopped. I was frustrated and ready to see a change at the helm. I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't fire or continue to retain Herman.

I do think that making decisions with emotions involved is a terrible idea, that is a fundamental principle in the business that I operate in today and tell clients on a daily basis. Sometimes OB can be a bit of a reverberation board and it isn't always helpful to the decision making process. All I am doing is posting something from an outside source that might give us a bit of perspective.

Please watch the video in the entirety before posting.

Link

Edit: I think the biggest topic that this video covers is that we need to not make a change for the sake of making a change, and instead, take a critical look at what is going on within the program before making that change.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
I am a fan of Steven. I always tell my son, who plays tennis, play through it. Things get bad sometimes more than others and that is nothing new. Just buckle down and keep playing. I have been a supporter of Tom Herman, but now, I no longer have an opinion.

This guys has 1500 YouTube views in 3 hours saying the same thing I've been saying for 8 years? And it took him 30 minutes to say it in what would have taken you 3 minutes to read it from my post?

I'm in the wrong business. MM-- how do I start a YouTube podcast thing?

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornMM
I think it's easy to see someone's mistakes and talk about them, Herman has made a bunch of them. He came into a tough situation where he replaced the first black coach at Texas who was very popular among his players. IMO, Herman did several things to try and win over the players that looking back probably caused him to lose respect from fans and now players. His BS is accepted when the results are there, but when you are losing they become a glaring problem.

Lets face it if he was winning national titles and flipped off the camera on signing day, we probably would have been all on board with how funny he was, but he doesn't have the skins on the wall to do stuff like that.

There is also the fact that he has run some of the hardest 2-a-days in preseason and that IMO has caused Texas to come into the season wore out, which in turn has lead to injuries.

He comes across as wanting to be a tough guy but he isn't and he looks foolish in the process.

I still think he is a good coach and might someday be a great coach, but he was not ready for this job and he should not be given another year IMO.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I think it's easy to see someone's mistakes and talk about them, Herman has made a bunch of them. He came into a tough situation where he replaced the first black coach at Texas who was very popular among his players. IMO, Herman did several things to try and win over the players that looking back probably caused him to lose respect from fans and now players. His BS is accepted when the results are there, but when you are losing they become a glaring problem.

Lets face it if he was winning national titles and flipped off the camera on signing day, we probably would have been all on board with how funny he was, but he doesn't have the skins on the wall to do stuff like that.

There is also the fact that he has run some of the hardest 2-a-days in preseason and that IMO has caused Texas to come into the season wore out, which in turn has lead to injuries.

He comes across as wanting to be a tough guy but he isn't and he looks foolish in the process.

I still think he is a good coach and might someday be a great coach, but he was not ready for this job and he should not be given another year IMO.

That is the thing though. What coach that has a winning pedigree taunts opposing players, flips off cameras, tries to fight other coaches, etc.? I can't think of any, and I'm being honest. Give me an example if you have one.

Winning is a byproduct of all other things, not the other way around.

I'm going to post this link and then duck. Allow me to explain. I've been as vocal as anyone else over the last two losses that we have taken. When Ketch asked for a name equivalent for the presser today, my best idea was Photo Chopped. I was frustrated and ready to see a change at the helm. I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't fire or continue to retain Herman.

I do think that making decisions with emotions involved is a terrible idea, that is a fundamental principle in the business that I operate in today and tell clients on a daily basis. Sometimes OB can be a bit of a reverberation board and it isn't always helpful to the decision making process. All I am doing is posting something from an outside source that might give us a bit of perspective.

Please watch the video in the entirety before posting.

Link

Edit: I think the biggest topic that this video covers is that we need to not make a change for the sake of making a change, and instead, take a critical look at what is going on within the program before making that change.
Pretty spot on with his statements.

That is the thing though. What coach that has a winning pedigree taunts opposing players, flips off cameras, tries to fight other coaches, etc.? I can't think of any, and I'm being honest. Give me an example if you have one.

Winning is a byproduct of all other things, not the other way around.

Woody Hayes comes to mind....

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I am sorry but I cant help feeling like I sold the farm and invested the money with Bernie Madoff! I was told Tom was smart. Mensa they said!....I was told Tom was a dead stickler for every last detail. I was told that he had total control of his programs and players. I was told he could recruit well.

What I see now is that Tom can recruit well. I am still waiting to see any evidence of all that other crap. Show me one shred of evidence that TH is smart....pays any attention to detail.....has any control whatever. I think we can fire him for breech of contract.

Great video, and culture is the broader perspective, look what happened to Miami years ago, the dominated and they created their own culture, albeit it was with some rough edges, the thing that made them successful was winning. I don’t like changing coaches and AD’s every 3-4 years it’s tremendously hard to create a culture. TH does need to be humbled, he needs to quit with all LHN crap and focus on his winning formula, but his arrogance has cost him and until he humbles himself and has a come to Jesus meeting with his inner self, he will not establish the thing he wants most and that is winning like a pro. You do that by paying so much to your house but preparing your team properly against the competition. You must have a primary, secondary and territary plan for each opponent.

Why all the concern about the LHN. How many hours are the players allowed to practice? About 3 hours a day. Throw in recruiting for another 2 hours and meetings and you have an 8 hour day. The LHN and media availability are all part of the same requirement so this is a terrible excuse. Lets not forget he has assistants helping his assistants. He has assistants scouting, planning, running game film.
The LHN isn't an excuse, there is no excuse not when you have a veteran team like Texas. This is all on the staff. Tom got a reset with his entire staff and he still can't get the job done, time to fix the real problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT