ADVERTISEMENT

Feb Recruiting and Portal movements

They’re both 4 star recruits. LJ is typical of most recruits these days. They seek the path of least resistance. LJ was clearly intimidated by the idea of competing with Bijan and Brooks for playing time. Aggie can have him. I prefer players who aren’t afraid to compete.
Interesting take.

They’re both 4 star recruits. LJ is typical of most recruits these days. They seek the path of least resistance. LJ was clearly intimidated by the idea of competing with Bijan and Brooks for playing time. Aggie can have him. I prefer players who aren’t afraid to compete.
Also, Brooks was recently elevated to 4 stars like 8 points behind LJ. Brooks could turn out awesomely but calling them close to equal right now is misleading. Rivals considered LJ the 2nd best back in the nation...not that that matters.

Interesting take.

Do you think sitting between Bijan and Blue with Brooks in his same class didn't cross his mind? I have no clue how much it mattered but I bet it was something he thought about. The guy skipped enrolling early because he could not decide where he wanted to go. That tells me he was truly torn and was weighing every aspect of his decision. On one hand you have a team that just fired their head coach and has a crowded depth chart with a stud both in front and behind him. On the other hand there is a team who just finished 4th and has a pretty clear path to playing time. He took the safer option, good for him.

We can't have everyone even though Bama seems to get them. If LJ doesn't want to redshirt and wants to get drafted after his third year, I get it.

I don't follow closely enough, but what makes LJ a better recruit than Brooks? Why is he higher ranked?
Look, Brooks may prove to be better. I know recruiting rankings are far from perfect, but on paper, based on size, speed, explosion, physicality, not to mention playing in an extremely talented district, there is no comparison right now. Also, maybe he's scared of the competition. Who knows? But it might be because of recent issues there and uncertainty in the coaching staff. I think A&M IS the safer pick. Great OLine pipeline right now and a commitment to running the ball. It might be the wrong choice ultimately, but I don't see how you can second guess it right now.

Do you think sitting between Bijan and Blue with Brooks in his same class didn't cross his mind? I have no clue how much it mattered but I bet it was something he thought about. The guy skipped enrolling early because he could not decide where he wanted to go. That tells me he was truly torn and was weighing every aspect of his decision. On one hand you have a team that just fired their head coach and has a crowded depth chart with a stud both in front and behind him. On the other hand there is a team who just finished 4th and has a pretty clear path to playing time. He took the safer option, good for him.

I think Johnson had no issues with the talent at either school. As I understand it. Texas had two things that drew him it was Austin city and Coach D. The ags had a great season, a great oline class, and coaches he also liked.

In the end it Oline class was better and much more proven with the ags. End of story.

Hopefully I'll never have to say that again about our oline recruiting.

Look, Brooks may prove to be better. I know recruiting rankings are far from perfect, but on paper, based on size, speed, explosion, physicality, not to mention playing in an extremely talented district, there is no comparison right now. Also, maybe he's scared of the competition. Who knows? But it might be because of recent issues there and uncertainty in the coaching staff. I think A&M IS the safer pick. Great OLine pipeline right now and a commitment to running the ball. It might be the wrong choice ultimately, but I don't see how you can second guess it right now.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, but you seem to follow them more closely so I was looking for some measureables to point to. More talented district I knew. As far as size, speed, explosion, physicality are there numbers?

I honestly think RB is the most volatile position to rank, but I have nothing to back that up with other than half paying attention to recruiting and the draft

Bijan was the # 2 rated back behind Zack Evans....neither started the season as the starter.

Actually at the end of the 2019 season, Robinson was rated higher than Evans by Rivals. There is no comparison between the two backs, IMO. Evans has some baggage and ethical issues that Robinson does not have.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Actually at the end of the 2019 season, Robinson was rated higher than Evans by Rivals. There is no comparison between the two backs, IMO. Evans has some baggage and ethical issues that Robinson does not have.
I know some folks in AZ and they had some reservations about how successful Bijan would be at the next level despite his ranking. Their thinking was the high school video game stats were at least attributable to the lower level competition in AZ. Glad they were wrong.
He’s a well spoken young man. His high school - Salpointe Catholic - is one of the most academically challenging high schools in AZ.
So glad we avoided the Evans drama.

I agree. Robinson looks like a really good one.

I know some folks in AZ and they had some reservations about how successful Bijan would be at the next level despite his ranking. Their thinking was the high school video game stats were at least attributable to the lower level competition in AZ. Glad they were wrong.
He’s a well spoken young man. His high school - Salpointe Catholic - is one of the most academically challenging high schools in AZ.
So glad we avoided the Evans drama.

I had my own reservations about Bijan, but he proved in the camps that going against 5'star talent he was making them just look silly.

Brooks didn't have the opportunity to do the camps so he is still an unknown. I'm not concerned, by all accounts, Emmitt Smith shouldn't have been as good as he was on the college or pro level. He was never the biggest or fastest guy, but he was a Junk Yard Dog.

Amen brother!....No question we came out on the long end of that deal!....what I was saying( damned poorly apparently) was that who cares how these guys are rated coming out of HS.?

What I can’t figure out....why is little d_ _ _ syndrome over here trying to convince us LJ is better. Time will tell.

Haynes King is not a D1 QB. Not sure who else they have on their roster, but it wouldn't take much to upgrade over Mond, lol.

I could be wrong but I felt all along that because last season was dominated by the pandemic that some teams would underachieve (LSU and TX) and that some teams would overachieve (BYU and NC).

The cow college goes from 8/5 to 11/1, an OB victory, and finish ranked 4th. But assuming we will have a full season in 2021 schools like them and ISU have to prove that last season was for real.

Time will tell

I could be wrong but I felt all along that because last season was dominated by the pandemic that some teams would underachieve (LSU and TX) and that some teams would overachieve (BYU and NC).

The cow college goes from 8/5 to 11/1, an OB victory, and finish ranked 4th. But assuming we will have a full season in 2021 schools like them and ISU have to prove that last season was for real.

Time will tell
The scamdemic was just another distraction - e.g., injuries, coaching changes, star WR getting a DUI, etc.
Disciplined, focused programs can overcome distractions or adversity. Maybe we had better talent than 7-3. But, as a program, we were no better than 7-3 ... scamdemic or no scamdemic.

i coached against brooks the last two years (not his senior yr). for what it's worth, he's taller than he looks-- i know because i coached against him in hoops too. he kinda glides-- covers more ground than it looks like he's covering. the other thing is he has excellent hands-- can catch the ball in heavy traffic. just a perspective from a high school coach-- no idea how it translates to college. as far as the 3a vs 5a-- i don't know much about the district the other kid was in, but i've seen 5a districts that schools like blanco, hallettsville, yoakum, columbus, edna (those 3 years when they had real coaches), and shiner would win or come close to. i don't think brooks played blanco, but he played the rest. for whatever that is all worth.

5* QB Maleek Murphy out of CA visiting next week. Class of 2022. Texas is high on his list, if not the favorite. Crystal balls being given to us.
Sark not waiting around for a Ewers flip.

5* QB Maleek Murphy out of CA visiting next week. Class of 2022. Texas is high on his list, if not the favorite. Crystal balls being given to us.
Don't know anything about this kid. Never seen his scout reel. Anybody got some footage?

He’s out of Junipero Serra high school - no more than 20 minutes from the USC campus. Junipero Serra is typically a feeder to USC. The fact that this kid is high on UT speaks to the Sark’s pull in CA. Very nice sign.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Don't know anything about this kid. Never seen his scout reel. Anybody got some footage?

Didn't play his junior year due to California shut down for COVID. The last time he suited up was when he was a sophomore.

I guess they give rankings out by reputation.

ADVERTISEMENT