ADVERTISEMENT

Filling out the coaching staff

Bwilk55

Jan 24, 2016
I wanted to create a thread for us to discuss the potential coaching holdovers and new hires at each position coach.

Offense:
QB - Mike Yurcich (OC)
RB - Stan Drayton - By multiple reports he will be retained as RB coach.
TE - Open. I have not heard many candidate's names at this point. Tim Brewster was thrown around casually but he just took a raise at UNC and isn't leaving Mack.
WR - Open - Top candidates Emmet Jones (Kansas WR coach, prev TTech, Dallas ties), Tyron Carrier (Houston WR coach, prev WVU, from Houston) basically a younger and less proven version of Jones.
OL - Herb Hand - By multiple reports he will be retained as OL coach

Defense:
DT - Open. Frank Okam (UT alum) is the name I am hearing the most. With Rhule leaving Baylor and the early career success of Okam, this could make a lot of sense. Also, pairing a younger coach with Giles would be good for recruiting
DE - Oscar Giles - By multiple reports he is likely to be retained
LB - Open. Another spot where there have not been many candidates names thrown around yet
CB - Jason Washington could potentially stay. Folks have mentioned Akina as a replacement. I haven't heard much else.
S - Chris Ash (DC) - this has been his position group in the past and would make the most sense for the position he coaches in addition to his DC role. Could he also coach CB if he wanted to keep Navair?

I have been wondering about this topic myself. I know bringing back loved players is generally not a good idea, but I would love to have Jordan Shipley at WR coach.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I have been wondering about this topic myself. I know bringing back loved players is generally not a good idea, but I would love to have Jordan Shipley at WR coach.
Why is Okam and Shipley being considered but not VY or Colt?

Okam has been coaching for a few years after his 4 year NFL career.
Shipley isn't a coach, not sure why he was brought up.
Colt is still playing in the NFL and probably will for another 5-6 years. Backup QB is a pretty sweet gig.
What in the hell would VY coach? He isn't going to coach QBs. He isn't even a coach.

VY doesn’t have the maturity/responsibility to lead young men as a coach (yet)

Colt and/or Jordan are sons of coaches, understand the game. They would be fantastic coaches at any level

Reactions: HornsRuleU
Okam has been coaching for a few years after his 4 year NFL career.
Shipley isn't a coach, not sure why he was brought up.
Colt is still playing in the NFL and probably will for another 5-6 years. Backup QB is a pretty sweet gig.
What in the hell would VY coach? He isn't going to coach QBs. He isn't even a coach.
It was a really bad troll attempt.

VY doesn’t have the maturity/responsibility to lead young men as a coach (yet)

Colt and/or Jordan are sons of coaches, understand the game. They would be fantastic coaches at any level
I don't think being a coach's son automatically makes you a teacher / trainer / inspirer / drill sergeant / coach. That's a DNA thing. More likely, if your dad is a *great* coach? Sure. What's your mom like?

Nor is being a favorite player either make you a good or bad coach. You might be entitled at Texas, and waste time and money. Maybe figure like you deserve it. Or you might take the legacy seriously and stick with it. It's up to the individual.

Jordan Shipley or Colt McCoy? I can see them applying themselves, from my very limited angle. But I thought the same of Major Applewhite.

Cannot imagine VY turning things around yet, or having the attributes necessary to be a good example. He's a bad example in terms of discipline whose transcendant talents overcame it. He needs to find Jesus for real or something. (Not that I don't have my own issues.)

If we are talking former players as coaches

QB/OC coach - Kyle Shanahan
RB Coach - Priest Holmes
WR - Jordan Shipley
OL - Blake Brockermeyer

Dline - Okam, Giles
LB - Derek Johnson
CB - Bryant Westbrook
S - Blake Gideon
DC - Jerry Gray

I have no idea who would be our head coach?

Reactions: Bwilk55

RB Coach - Priest Holmes
WR - Jordan Shipley
OL - Blake Brockermeyer

Dline - Okam, Giles
LB - Derek Johnson
CB - Bryant Westbrook
S - Blake Gideon
DC - Jerry Gray

I'm sure Gideon is a nice guy and all but I'd have to take a pass on the original charcoal as a coach.

I'm sure Gideon is a nice guy and all but I'd have to take a pass on the original charcoal as a coach.
I have that memory of him dropping that interception in Lubbock that would have sealed the game and probably would have sent us to the national championship that year too.

I wanted to create a thread for us to discuss the potential coaching holdovers and new hires at each position coach.

Offense:
QB - Mike Yurcich (OC)
RB - Stan Drayton - By multiple reports he will be retained as RB coach.
TE - Open. I have not heard many candidate's names at this point. Tim Brewster was thrown around casually but he just took a raise at UNC and isn't leaving Mack.
WR - Open - Top candidates Emmet Jones (Kansas WR coach, prev TTech, Dallas ties), Tyron Carrier (Houston WR coach, prev WVU, from Houston) basically a younger and less proven version of Jones.
OL - Herb Hand - By multiple reports he will be retained as OL coach

Defense:
DT - Open. Frank Okam (UT alum) is the name I am hearing the most. With Rhule leaving Baylor and the early career success of Okam, this could make a lot of sense. Also, pairing a younger coach with Giles would be good for recruiting
DE - Oscar Giles - By multiple reports he is likely to be retained
LB - Open. Another spot where there have not been many candidates names thrown around yet
CB - Jason Washington could potentially stay. Folks have mentioned Akina as a replacement. I haven't heard much else.
S - Chris Ash (DC) - this has been his position group in the past and would make the most sense for the position he coaches in addition to his DC role. Could he also coach CB if he wanted to keep Navair?
We need someone outstanding for TE's. That's a position that is typically hurting. You get someone who can't block or they can't catch, and they can't seem to learn the other thing. Would Jason Witten be a good coach, and would he coach for the "other" UT? Would Tom have the confidence to hire him?

RB Coach - Priest Holmes
WR - Jordan Shipley
OL - Blake Brockermeyer

Dline - Okam, Giles
LB - Derek Johnson
CB - Bryant Westbrook
S - Blake Gideon
DC - Jerry Gray

I don't think Shanahan is going to leave his HC gig at SF to be our OC

I have that memory of him dropping that interception in Lubbock that would have sealed the game and probably would have sent us to the national championship that year too.

No probably to it

I am not as interested in how good a player someone was...I am interested in how good a coach they are. Gideon has a solid gold resume. I take him in a minute.

And for Bell.... we will take VY for a coach as soon as y’all take Kyler or Mayfield.

Reactions: westx
No probably to it

I am not as interested in how good a player someone was...I am interested in how good a coach they are. Gideon has a solid gold resume. I take him in a minute.

And for Bell.... we will take VY for a coach as soon as y’all take Kyler or Mayfield.

OU should hire The Boz

Reactions: oldhorn2
It was a really bad troll attempt.
I haven’t seen a post from you as bad as this one since you tried to insinuate that I was referencing Paul Thompson as being the brother of your current backup qb . You’re really up on your football facts. Perhaps you should do your homework before posting.

Since another poster brought up Shipley as a potential coach, since he isn’t a coach, got me thinking about Colt and VY as potential coaches. I’m thinking if this armchair qb thing doesn’t work out for you, and by all appearances it’s not, then maybe you could take your comedy act on the road?

I don't think being a coach's son automatically makes you a teacher / trainer / inspirer / drill sergeant / coach.
Very true. But, if the passion is there to coach, then it is something that is an intangible or added benefit. Somebody that is from a coaching family has information passed on directly and indirectly just by being around it. It would take years of trial and error to just stumble upon this information that is probably talked about at the dinner table. To me, if I am doing the hiring, it would be something that I would have firmly in the plus column.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
Hell guys, I love to coach when i'm sitting on my couch, watching the Horns . . . and working on my 4th beer! You guys should hear the great advice that comes out of my mouth!

Does this make me eligible to be a Horns coach too? ;)

Hell they may make good coaches one day?
Last I saw, Cale Gundy and Josh Heupel are not doing to shabby in the coaching ranks. I have been watching Colt and Shipley play and in the media for over 10 years. They have the knowledge and the temperament of a quality coach

I haven’t seen a post from you as bad as this one since you tried to insinuate that I was referencing Paul Thompson as being the brother of your current backup qb . You’re really up on your football facts. Perhaps you should do your homework before posting.

Since another poster brought up Shipley as a potential coach, since he isn’t a coach, got me thinking about Colt and VY as potential coaches. I’m thinking if this armchair qb thing doesn’t work out for you, and by all appearances it’s not, then maybe you could take your comedy act on the road?
Weak

Very true. But, if the passion is there to coach, then it is something that is an intangible or added benefit. Somebody that is from a coaching family has information passed on directly and indirectly just by being around it. It would take years of trial and error to just stumble upon this information that is probably talked about at the dinner table. To me, if I am doing the hiring, it would be something that I would have firmly in the plus column.
I agree with what you're saying, but we're talking about different things, maybe? As I see it, you're talking about knowledge. Hanging around dad and his buddies, or just discussions about dad's day at the dinner table (do they still have those?), gives you a leg up on others. Sure.

My focus is on being a gifted teacher. Being able to package and transmit the information uniquely, for each athlete, so that he can grasp it and quickly begin to apply that technique. So he can become an expert at it, and defeat even physically-superior opponents with it.

If player development is going to improve, Herman's staff needs to have both. He can hire extra staff with wider knowledge, but the number of coaches is limited. They have to be good teachers.

Last edited:
Reactions: outhereincali
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT