ADVERTISEMENT

Fire this idiot !!!!

He admitted in his presser he could have gotten rid of the ball. Can't. Take. That. Sack. Period.

Cost the Horns the game.

Go back and watch the play and tell me where and when you think he could have gotten rid of the ball. While watching it, I need you to take into consideration that he's in the middle of the pocket, everyone has run off, and he's not going to be able to step into his throw because our RG got absolutely embarrassed. So he's going to have throw a pass 10 - 15 yards down field, out of bounds, and in the general vicinity of one of our receivers, flat footed. If he doesn't do all of those things, he's probably going to called for intentional grounding.

Instead of spouting off some coach speak cliches, you should go watch the play over again and help the rest of us understand why it was such a good call.

I'm not concerned about BMD's. I think they would have no problem giving UM full control of the program. It's the school administration and meddling professors plus Austin socially liberal elites that want to dictate their social justice garbage onto our football program. Just get the fvck out of the way and let UM run the whole show. The players answer to nobody but him and if they aren't committed to being all in with his vision from day one he should be allowed to cut them loose and look for another school. This program is a disaster and it will take a few years to get it turned into a culture of consistent excellence and leadership where players are accountable to each other. Our team has zero leadership and player accountability right now. We have too many guys trying to brand themselves as being down for social justice while being absolutely tone deaf to the fact that not everyone on the team believes in that nonsense and many are turned off by it. It's best to just keep that to yourself. It's like having a bunch of people who are constantly preaching their religious beliefs toward their teammates and fellow students. It's a big turn off if you over do it and you alienate those who don't necessarily agree with your constant preaching.
Good lord. Austin being liberal or players carrying about social justice isn’t why Texas is losing to Iowa state. Can we just stop with that nonsense.
Take Urban Meyer’s Florida teams for example. It’s amazing most of the guys weren’t in jail and half of them probably thought Tim Tebow was a joke with all his praying and religious stuff, but they still kicked ass on Saturday’s. Outside people are bothered more by the “politics” in sports than the athletes that are actually playing the games.

Good lord. Austin being liberal or players carrying about social justice isn’t why Texas is losing to Iowa state. Can we just stop with that nonsense.
Take Urban Meyer’s Florida teams for example. It’s amazing most of the guys weren’t in jail and half of them probably thought Tim Tebow was a joke with all his praying and religious stuff, but they still kicked ass on Saturday’s. Outside people are bothered more by the “politics” in sports than the athletes that are actually playing the games.

Why was Tebow a joke?

Thanks Clob for your insight. Let me ask you some question if you dont mind? If I remember correctly you played for Texas back in the days and went through the recruiting cycle and schools wowing you and family during your trips. In your honest opinion let's say UM says yes I want the job and the school has to come out publicly and state that TH will not return for another year. When is the right time to announce this information in your honest opinion? If UM says yes in your opinion do any recruits do a 180 and maybe start talking with Texas again? Do you believe that UM will keep most of the staff and let Hand go and bring in another online coach? What is your take on this and I know its different from your time to recruits now a days. I'm just trying to get a feel and maybe try to understand how much information like this is vital to big time recruits. I appreciate your time and answering my questions if you can.

The reason they kicked azz was because UM had everyone committed and all in with his direction for the program. Tim Tebow was the clear leader of those teams and UM had zero concerns with his religious beliefs because Tebow never went behind his back demanding that the University of Florida tear down statues and rename buildings and eliminate school songs. UM had 100% trust in Tebow and the rest of his players because he knew they would never do anything that was insubordinate and divisive to the program. That's the polar opposite of our entire athletics department today.

Decision to go for it on fourth down in fourth quarter
“It was a tough one. The analytics said to go for it. You go up there by two scores if you get it. You kick the field goal…you’re up by a touchdown. I felt confident in the play that was called and we didn’t get it.”

Analytics are what coaches blame things on when they don't go their way because most people are math stupid and don't get it. Well I get math, and I know football. The metric by which their analytics are based are completely wrong, or Tom is lying. You decide.

Thoughts on playcalling on second to last drive in fourth quarter
“We knew a couple of first downs wins us the game. We knew that after the first run that the box was going to be significantly loaded and we didn’t get the first down.”

So you ran it on first down and got 5 yards. But because you didn't get the first down ON first down, you decide to THROW IT two more times and burn hardly any clock? Let me guess, the analytics said you should throw it. So what if they had eight in the box. The box count doesn't block-- your offensive line does. You don't trust your OLine coach enough to put a body on the 8 guys and get 5 more yards in two chances? Sad.

Thoughts on play that ended in Ehlinger sack on last drive
“Four verticals and the back on the checkdown and was hoping to get the back on the checkdown to add some yardage before the field goal.”

So let me get this straight--- on 3rd down and while in FG range, the analytics told you to run four deep vertical routes and a bail out route into the flats to your RB? Are you taking fvcking crazy pills dude? No crossing route? No wheel route? No quick slant or curl for a bailout route? You're relying on your QB to look back to his left over his shoulder for a RB in the event that your four deep vertical routes are covered up. That's a fvcking brilliant play call. How about we call a play that is a little less risky Tom. Wait, you didn't call the play, the "analytics" did. My bad.
I remember a few years back when folks were saying the same thing about Strong and then a few years back about Brown. I thought Strong was a good hire but when he got rid of all those players and doghouse a few others had hurt him. Everyone was screaming for Herman. I wasn't sure on him because of the fact that i thought Strong should have had 4 years to finish out his first freshmen class. With Herman, have we improved? Have we declined? I think we have taken a slight step back as our recruiting have taken a big blow as of late. We were use to getting the 5 stars and upper 4 stars and now we are getting excited over 3 stars. That alone should tell everyone where we are at. If we are getting a coach, let's get one with some skins on the wall. We also need to have an identity.
my 2 cents.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
The reason they kicked azz was because UM had everyone committed and all in with his direction for the program. Tim Tebow was the clear leader of those teams and UM had zero concerns with his religious beliefs because Tebow never went behind his back demanding that the University of Florida tear down statues and rename buildings and eliminate school songs. UM had 100% trust in Tebow and the rest of his players because he knew they would never do anything that was insubordinate and divisive to the program. That's the polar opposite of our entire athletics department today.

they won for 2 reasons
Good coaching
NFL level talent.

that’s it. Texas is losing because of bad coaching and the talent level isn’t where it needs to be. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc dominate the first couple rounds of the NFL draft every year. The last time Texas had that level talent was probably the national title year with VY. That’s why the program is down. None of the other crap matters. Urban Meyer would fix it. I refuse to believe he is the only coach that could though. If that is true what we’re really saying is Texas football is over, and I don’t believe that.

Thanks Clob for your insight. Let me ask you some question if you dont mind? If I remember correctly you played for Texas back in the days and went through the recruiting cycle and schools wowing you and family during your trips. In your honest opinion let's say UM says yes I want the job and the school has to come out publicly and state that TH will not return for another year. When is the right time to announce this information in your honest opinion? If UM says yes in your opinion do any recruits do a 180 and maybe start talking with Texas again? Do you believe that UM will keep most of the staff and let Hand go and bring in another online coach? What is your take on this and I know its different from your time to recruits now a days. I'm just trying to get a feel and maybe try to understand how much information like this is vital to big time recruits. I appreciate your time and answering my questions if you can.
The kids of today, especially the top talented kids, "usually" come from middle class or lower economic back grounds. 25 years ago, playing in the NFL meant 2-3 million a year contracts. Now that's a lot of money, don't get me wrong--- but it wasn't generational money. Kids now see, with the rise of social media, that they can not only cash in on the NFL wealth, but also on the social media wealth. If you're the QB for a major college team and your Twitter account or YouTube or Instagram account has a million followers, you get paid. If you've got two million social media followers, you're building a brand. If you come out of college with two million followers and a brand, then Nike, Coca-Cola, Budweiser etc all know that if they want to sign you, they are going to have to pony up more money to do so, because they aren't creating your marketing footprint, they're paying for the one you've already created.

How does a kid create a huge following?

By going to a school that is in the hunt year in and year out for national titles.

Does Urban Meyer have the sort of reputation for creating winning teams and causing eye balls to look in his direction? Damn right he does. Saban is Saban. The shine is slowing starting to wear off on him. Still a great coach and program, but he doesn't have that new car smell anymore. Dabo is the "new" new car. He's at his peak right now. The only coach that could cause a stir like dabo is Urban. Kids will flock to that because they know, eventually (soon), Urban will put a quality product on the field and eyeballs will be glued to the top players. That equates to followers on social media-- which in the eyes of five star players destined for the NFL-- equates to more money for them over the long haul.

After 12/01, the buyout for Herman goes down by 5 million, if he is going to be fired, I see it happening very soon after that, no waiting for the season to end. I also think CDC has a guy in mind he wants and will go after. Dude knows how to find coaching talent so I have faith in him.

Ok, I waded through the filth at Surly to discern a few things that some people in the know are talking about over there. These are RUMORS so take them for what they are worth.

**** Apparently Tom Herman is a combination of Major Applewhite and Steve Sarkesian. They are implying that Herman is an alcoholic and has been sleeping around. If the University has proof is this, which some over there are implying, then Herman will be terminated soon. He may not see a red cent afterward. He is in much deeper trouble than just losing his job.

Replacement chatter:

1. Urban Meyer is still #1 and he has not said no.

2. Backup is Christobal.

Don't shoot the messenger. If you don't like what I have said, go to Surly and tell them why they are wrong. They are a welcoming lot.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I’ll just point this out... As Texas hired Tom Herman the “no brainer”. LSU and Baylor hired coach O and Matt Rhule. 4 years later coach O has a national title, Matt Rhule became an NFL coach, and Tom Herman is headed for the unemployment line. So if we’ve learned anything over the last 4 years it should be to keep an open mind and not get fixated on a name

You're about to see the real Coach O dude. Guy is not a HC.

Gene Chizik also won a natty. So did Larry Coker. Doesn't mean it was a good hire.

Thank you Clob. I forget that social media is big now a days for these players and if they have a big following and manage to get drafted then they are in a better position now than players were back 15 years ago. If the right coach is hired then the recruits will come. Let's say it UM do you see Texas making a turn around in a year 1 or maybe the 2nd year? We also need to take into account the transfer kids that may want to look at Texas if it is UM. I'm not sure if this is possible but does a coach like Kyle Shanahan being the same set of eye balls that UM does? I'm only asking just in case UM says no. Who are the realistic coaches that bring the same set or close to the same set of eye balls that UM would bring. This is all just in case UM says no.

Thank you Clob. I forget that social media is big now a days for these players and if they have a big following and manage to get drafted then they are in a better position now than players were back 15 years ago. If the right coach is hired then the recruits will come. Let's say it UM do you see Texas making a turn around in a year 1 or maybe the 2nd year? We also need to take into account the transfer kids that may want to look at Texas if it is UM. I'm not sure if this is possible but does a coach like Kyle Shanahan being the same set of eye balls that UM does? I'm only asking just in case UM says no. Who are the realistic coaches that bring the same set or close to the same set of eye balls that UM would bring. This is all just in case UM says no.
Shanahan isn't happening. Too big of a buy out. Could Urban pick up some top recruits in year one? Certainly. Kids want to play for him. Will the transfer portal help us? Likely, but not as much you think. Really good players don't usually leave their school unless there's a beef with the staff. His best bet is to comb the Juco players. But those kids usually come with their own sets of problems. Can he put 10 wins on the board year 1? Of course he can. Tom could have. The talent is here and the conference is ripe for a 10 win Texas team next year. You just have to have the right guy to put the pieces together.

I dont know that yall see things the way they really are....Should he have gone for it on 4th down?.....why a fake punt when you are ahead?......The fact is that these are the moments that define a program. these are the plays that make or break a program. Herman calls them, but he almost never makes them. DKR won a Natty with the dumbest call ever....down 14-8 .....time running out....4th and 3 or 4 I think it was.....and he calls a looonnng pass down the sideline into what will be certain double coverage....It is completed, Texas wins. The difference?....One play was called with confidence in the play, the training, and the players. One play(or both plays last week) was called out of desperation with both fingers crossed.....one play was what winners do. The others were what losers do.

A winner might not win every time, but a loser loses every. Damned. Time.

Tom.....you are no Darrel Royal!

Reactions: freeper
You and me both. And now my stepson's wife has covid19. And so does her daughter. And now my son has it. But my son and granddaughter and son are going to be fine. They're practicing the necessary quarantine. And this was only the 2nd full game I watched this year OSU being the other one. I saw the first half of OK and WV but that doesn't cause I had to youtube the full game when I got home.

Our boys played good enough to win but our coaches started coaching not to lose instead of coaching to win. Today we showed how much talent we have on both sides of the ball but the coaches screwed up. I am not going to get into a who should be the next coach I have to trust the powers that be.

Well it turns out my son had a false positive and Im relieved. But in the case of my daughter in law and granddaughter let me tell you significant. My son and his family live in a rural county in TN and in this 2nd wave of covid19 the places getting hit the hardest are rural counties.

You know I said something last month and everyone got mad at me. What I meant we don't know if the next coach will be a success or not. It's up to CDC and the athletic council to decide and we don't have a say in it.

Another thing is with this pandemic our athletic department has lost millions that we won't get back. Can we afford a very expensive buyout while we are losing and will continue to lose money as long as this pandemic has its grip on us? This is an important issue. But with Sam Cosmi deciding to opt out and I wonder if coach Herman has lost his team.

But in talking with my son on T day I was talking about everything that has happened this year. The pandemic, the violence in the streets, the POTUS election, and how I took all of this personally. My son was saying that there isn't much we can do about it. And he's right now I'm having to deal with the pandemic on a personal basis what's most important is family and my church. And with all of this going on it's really just fb.

Friday's game was for me the most disappointing loss for me in 20 years. We should have never lost this game. But with everything I've said here if the powers that be still feel a change has to be made than so be it. No matter what I'm always loyal to the horns.

Yeah, they did. I guess I don't understand your point, because Chizik/Coach O/Coker were not good hires overall.
Why wasn’t Coker a good hire? 3 conference titles, one national title. Worst year was 7-6. Wasn’t his fault the NCAA caught up with Miami.

my overall point though is win you win a title you can’t be a bad hire.

Wait until 12/1 to save the $5M, but offer back $1M of the savings to Tom for an LHN sanctioned 8 round boxing match with Zac Smith, held in Gregory Gym. Tom gets Herb Hand as his corner man, which means he won’t block a punch. Zac gets Peter Dinklage (the dramatic version from GOT, not the children’s book author from Elf) cuz it would be kind of funny. Between rounds, show a video montage of Tom “securing the bag” against Mizzou, going after Coach Gundy, flipping off the cameras, and head butting his players prior to the Beatdown he took from Baylor last year, all set to “Don’t Stop Believing.” Post-fight press conference mandatory.

Wait until 12/1 to save the $5M, but offer back $1M of the savings to Tom for an LHN sanctioned 8 round boxing match with Zac Smith, held in Gregory Gym. Tom gets Herb Hand as his corner man, which means he won’t block a punch. Zac gets Peter Dinklage (the dramatic version from GOT, not the children’s book author from Elf) cuz it would be kind of funny. Between rounds, show a video montage of Tom “securing the bag” against Mizzou, going after Coach Gundy, flipping off the cameras, and head butting his players prior to the Beatdown he took from Baylor last year, all set to “Don’t Stop Believing.” Post-fight press conference mandatory.
Fail.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Another thing is with this pandemic our athletic department has lost millions that we won't get back. Can we afford a very expensive buyout while we are losing and will continue to lose money as long as this pandemic has its grip on us? This is an important issue. But with Sam Cosmi deciding to opt out and I wonder if coach Herman has lost his team.

Can the program survive another year of Tom Herman? Our recruiting is pure crap right now, if we keep tom it will only get worse. That is the big issue. The money issue isn't an issue and will never be an issue. The BMDs will pay the buyouts and the salary of the new hire. It's always been that way. I've been around for 6 Texas hires and in every one it was the BMDs that wanted the move and made it happen with their check book.

Why wasn’t Coker a good hire? 3 conference titles, one national title. Worst year was 7-6. Wasn’t his fault the NCAA caught up with Miami.

my overall point though is win you win a title you can’t be a bad hire.

Coker won the title with players he didn't recruit, they were left over from the previous coach, the program began to fade quickly as those players graduated. The same thing with Chizik.

I will also say this, there are a lot of juniors I'm willing to bet hit the transfer portal to leave the program, lets face it, Herman has not prepared anyone for the next level. This was a top 3 class and they look anything but top 3 right now. Cosmi is just the first.

The kids of today, especially the top talented kids, "usually" come from middle class or lower economic back grounds. 25 years ago, playing in the NFL meant 2-3 million a year contracts. Now that's a lot of money, don't get me wrong--- but it wasn't generational money. Kids now see, with the rise of social media, that they can not only cash in on the NFL wealth, but also on the social media wealth. If you're the QB for a major college team and your Twitter account or YouTube or Instagram account has a million followers, you get paid. If you've got two million social media followers, you're building a brand. If you come out of college with two million followers and a brand, then Nike, Coca-Cola, Budweiser etc all know that if they want to sign you, they are going to have to pony up more money to do so, because they aren't creating your marketing footprint, they're paying for the one you've already created.

How does a kid create a huge following?

By going to a school that is in the hunt year in and year out for national titles.

Does Urban Meyer have the sort of reputation for creating winning teams and causing eye balls to look in his direction? Damn right he does. Saban is Saban. The shine is slowing starting to wear off on him. Still a great coach and program, but he doesn't have that new car smell anymore. Dabo is the "new" new car. He's at his peak right now. The only coach that could cause a stir like dabo is Urban. Kids will flock to that because they know, eventually (soon), Urban will put a quality product on the field and eyeballs will be glued to the top players. That equates to followers on social media-- which in the eyes of five star players destined for the NFL-- equates to more money for them over the long haul.

Very good analysis clob. Your insight is much appreciated on this board and is a big reason I read this forum daily. I also have much respect for many others who post here regularly. There's no better place on the web than here to get the best unfiltered Longhorn news and analysis. I'm amused by people who still actually pay for "insider" news.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. o_O

Reactions: weevilcatch
Very good analysis clob. Your insight is much appreciated on this board and is a big reason I read this forum daily. I also have much respect for many others who post here regularly. There's no better place on the web than here to get the best unfiltered Longhorn news and analysis. I'm amused by people who still actually pay for "insider" news.
Appreciate it.

It's difficult sometimes to see beyond just football in certain arenas. I know kids today seem scatter brained and all over the place (especially to baby boomers) but make no mistake, this generation is the most photographed and "look at me" generation to come along in world history. Do many of them make stupid ass decisions that would make Nero blush? Yes. Yes they do. Some of these dumb asses actually go out and commit crimes and then video said crime and then POST IT on their webpages--- hoping that they will garner enough attention to start collecting a check. You know, so they don't have to get a REAL job.
But one thing they ALL understand is the power of social media. We have to change with the times and if you want the best players, you have to give them a platform for attention.

Urban Meyer will be that platform.

Appreciate it.

It's difficult sometimes to see beyond just football in certain arenas. I know kids today seem scatter brained and all over the place (especially to baby boomers) but make no mistake, this generation is the most photographed and "look at me" generation to come along in world history. Do many of them make stupid ass decisions that would make Nero blush? Yes. Yes they do. Some of these dumb asses actually go out and commit crimes and then video said crime and then POST IT on their webpages--- hoping that they will garner enough attention to start collecting a check. You know, so they don't have to get a REAL job.
But one thing they ALL understand is the power of social media. We have to change with the times and if you want the best players, you have to give them a platform for attention.

Urban Meyer will be that platform.

Clob,
Care to predict how this goes? Does he get the axe tomorrow?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT