ADVERTISEMENT

First memory of Texas-ou

okiehorn

May 29, 2001
First of all I am 75. I didn't know anything about the Texas-ou rivalry. Was about four years old. We were in a park in Amarillo. Some guy says he is for ou. He said they were mostly from Texas anyway. I thought, well where are the Texas players from. Probably not from Oklahoma. Four year old reasoning. That is all.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
First of all I am 75. I didn't know anything about the Texas-ou rivalry. Was about four years old. We were in a park in Amarillo. Some guy says he is for ou. He said they were mostly from Texas anyway. I thought, well where are the Texas players from. Probably not from Oklahoma. Four year old reasoning. That is all.

Mine was the 1959 Cotton Bowl with Syracuse, with Cotton and Davis for the Orangemen, helluva game

Earliest memory is the "interception that was not" game of 84. That one really stoked my dislike for the UT program.

Earliest memory is the "interception that was not" game of 84. That one really stoked my dislike for the UT program.

Now I know why OU has such a strong football program. They never give up no matter what!...That game was played 36 years ago and they are STILL trying to win it....

Hey!....thats a joke I couldnt resist. I also agree with you that the refs blew that call all to hell...Then again, it is balanced by the fact that OU sucks...

Best Game I ever seen, everyone was leaving the Stadium and thought we lost and then Cotton Spreyer hauled ii in....about 2:38..

Reactions: diadevic
Not my earliest memory, but an amazement anyway....Back in the day ( this was '65) all cars had generators, not alternators. A car at idle ran down the battery.(context)....so we are heading downtown to the convention hall to listen to the HotNuts and rub elbows with OU fans at the big Friday party. As we head toward Dealy Plaza there is one last traffic light to negotiate to clear the incredible traffic jam. It had taken us about an hour to go 1/4 mile and we were the second car at the light. Just before the light turned green this dead drunk guy comes staggering accross the road. As he totters along he turns and places both hands on the hood of the car in front of us. As soon as he did the light turned green....the car in front of us floored it and ran right over the guy! We jum,ped out to drag him off( cars behind us honking like mad), but the drunk gets up.....dusts himself off and staggered away. Away to the party we went.

I was 10, 1968 . Back then you could still get on field after the game and dad and I walked up the tunnel and into the Texas locker room . I got several horn autographs, Street, Worster and of course DKR among others . Program is framed at in my dads longhorn museum which is in his house .

Best Game I ever seen, everyone was leaving the Stadium and thought we lost and then Cotton Spreyer hauled ii in....about 2:38..

Stranger my first sports consciousness moment was the 1969 UT/Arkansas game. When this UCLA game was played in 1970, I had never experienced a UT loss. We were in my back yard, listening on the radio, Dad was grilling burgers for dinner, and things were looking pretty grim. My first sports tears were welling up. Then Cotton Speyer saved the day in the last seconds. One of the reasons I fell in love with sports!

Last edited:
My first memory was sitting with my dad and uncles watching the 77 game and just amazed at Earl's ability to crush people. It started my love of the game.

Biggest memory was being in Dallas a couple years later when a fight broke out between fans on Market street, must have been about a hundred guys from each side duking it out. I was 10 or 11 at the time and I wanted to jump out of my parents car and kick someones ass.

Best memory was Stonie Clark goal line tackle. Stonie might never do another thing in life and he will still drink for free in Austin for the rest of his life.

Reactions: diadevic
watching ou get stomped by you guys in '70. my older cousin donnie from houston walked by and saw the score and said what else is new. never really liked him much after that

First one in '57. Dad too cheap to pay the ticket hustlers so we watched the game on black and white TV at the fair. Royal's first year. OU won, 21-7 I think. Then disaster 6 weeks later when Notre Dame came to Norman. Next year changed the rivalry completely. 8 years after that my second trip to the Cotton Bowl as an OU student. So got into the game. God bless Bob Warmack. And the field goal kicker whose name I will never remember but won the Nebraska game later than year and then screwed the pooch in '67. After that just remember Wooster winning "68 for Horns in the last seconds and then Street blowing it up in '69. Then the military and never saw another one. Some day. Maybe after Sam E. is gone and Rattler still playing. What a rivalry.

When I was a kid,someone in the neighborhood was a relative of a member of the longhorn band who was in charge of the Texas Big Bertha large drum to be used in the Texas/OU game the next day in the Cotton Bowl.It was parked in a quiet neighborhood in the driveway.In the middle on the night someone had taken a can of red spray paint and sprayed OU in big letters on both sides of the drum.The drum did not make the game.But as a kid,I knew from that day on the game was a big deal and routing for the Horns ever since I saw that drum. Time:early sixties in Arlington,Texas

When I was a kid,someone in the neighborhood was a relative of a member of the longhorn band who was in charge of the Texas Big Bertha large drum to be used in the Texas/OU game the next day in the Cotton Bowl.It was parked in a quiet neighborhood in the driveway.In the middle on the night someone had taken a can of red spray paint and sprayed OU in big letters on both sides of the drum.The drum did not make the game.But as a kid,I knew from that day on the game was a big deal and routing for the Horns ever since I saw that drum. Time:early sixties in Arlington,Texas

Back in them days, there was a on going conspiracy to kidnap Revelie and vice versa to kidnap Bevo, the Silver boys was guarding with shotguns and the Sheriff all night with the Bevo..we lost a lotta Traditions when we stopped playing AGGSY, plus the drunk Texas and OU fans falling outa a hotel window and big time fight before the TX-OU game

Reactions: Cotton #12
ADVERTISEMENT