ADVERTISEMENT

Fishing 17

StrangerHorn

Jan 6, 2020
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX — Saturday's fishing report comes from one of the best fishing guides in the Coastal Bend.

Joey Farah grew up along the Texas Coast, and breaks down what you need to know to have a successful fishing Saturday.

"The beach this weekend is the hot spot, we've got light winds and light sea conditions. The reds are up in the first and second guts, at high tide and at dawn and dusk," said Farah.

"All you gotta do is come out with a cast net and cast net the stream of those finger mullet in the first few guts. You can let the kids play and get out there and do some serious fishing."

If you're looking to do some jetty fishing, Port Aransas or Packery Channel Jetties are going to be your best bet.

"Again with finger mullet for the reds. At night, the big cut mullet during the day with live shrimp and pop and corks, with a long drop underneath it for the trout drifting along the rocks, and Spanish Mackerel are thick on silver spoons."

If you're taking the boat out, there will be light winds. Farah said to hit the gas wells near Corpus Christi Bay and Aransas Bay.

"They're really good right now for sand trout and speckled trout with live shrimp. A little split shot on there to keep it midway down, you're gonna tear them up. And then the rocks in Baffin are still good if you can get your hands on live Croaker we're catching limits of trout down in Baffin Bay."

So, I’m going to be down there in October. Will be fishing mostly in the flats and passes out of my kayak. I’d like to try to catch trout in the surf at some point as well, if there are any calm days. Question: What are generally the conditions that cause the surf to lay down flat? North wind, no wind, tidal swings?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT