ADVERTISEMENT

Football Movie Tournament First Round Results

Where is a list of the movies? If Rudy isn't knocked off in the first round the whole tournament is bullcrap in my book. It's hype to payoff ratio makes it one of the worst ever.

Varsity Blues just because of the teacher that was a stripper and the big ass pig called bacon!

The original Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds. A classic.

Worst ever was - The Last Boy Scout with Damon Wayons. Opening scene a running back is running for a touchdown, reaches into his pants and pulls out a pistol and starts shooting. Seriously?

Gosh dang free agents ruined the game! Gimme, gimme, gimme...it's never enough with those assholes.

Reactions: diadevic
The original Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds. A classic.

Worst ever was - The Last Boy Scout with Damon Wayons. Opening scene a running back is running for a touchdown, reaches into his pants and pulls out a pistol and starts shooting. Seriously?

Also, when Milo calls you pretentiously by your first name and says you better start scoring touchdowns...damnit you're gonna do whatever you gotta do! A'int life a bitch?!?!

Reactions: diadevic
Both Longest Yard movies and Varsity Blues get my vote.
I give it..... a TEN! A fvckin TEN!

Side note, I was asked to be in that movie which was filmed in Elgin.
Other side note- Peter gardere was the qb that actually threw the balls.
Last side note- James venderbeek threw like a fvcking girl. Literally, Dawson's creek threw like a fvcking girl.

You know I've seen a lot of fb movies but not one that really stood out. Remember The Titans was my favorite, good acting, feel good story line.

But my favorite fb stories were novels, Semi Tough, and North Dallas Forty. Semi Tough was also the best sports novel ever.

ST came out in 1972 around the same time as Archie Bunker was on tv. Archie Bunker was the most iconic tv character of all time. And the protagonist in Semi Tough, Billy Clyde Puckett, was basically an ignorant, red neck jock version off Archie Bunker. But the book was hilarious. It came out in 1972 and some of the book might be outdated but the story of the starting lineup still makes me lmao.

The author of the book was Dan Jenkins. Imho, Dan Jenkins was the greatest sports writer of all time. He's written about a dozen sports related novels and I've read most of them. He's a TCU graduate and he still goes to their home games. He was a golfer at TCU and his best work was about golf. And he's 88 and still going strong. His daughter Sally is also a sportswriter and a good one.

North Dallas Forty hasn't aged as well for me. It came out the year after ST, and it had its moments, but now it sounds like too much psycho babble.

Long live Dan Jenkins and Billy Clyde Puckett.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
Dude.... Rudy for the win.

Write it down.
Every time I'm channel surfing and happen to run across that movie, I absolutely have to watch it. Great movie that stands the test of time, for me at least.

Waterboy???? Lol
Back in 1966, pick up sticks...
Momma, when did Ben Franklin invent electricity? --- That's nonsense! I invented electricity. Ben Franklin in the debil!
Bobby, day Eva catch dat gorilla dat busted outa da zoo and punched you in da eye? --No mama. The search continues.
Gaaaatorade....... H2O......Gaaaaaaatorade....water sucks, it really really sucks!
You can do it!

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
You know I've seen a lot of fb movies but not one that really stood out. Remember The Titans was my favorite, good acting, feel good story line.

But my favorite fb stories were novels, Semi Tough, and North Dallas Forty. Semi Tough was also the best sports novel ever.

ST came out in 1972 around the same time as Archie Bunker was on tv. Archie Bunker was the most iconic tv character of all time. And the protagonist in Semi Tough, Billy Clyde Puckett, was basically an ignorant, red neck jock version off Archie Bunker. But the book was hilarious. It came out in 1972 and some of the book might be outdated but the story of the starting lineup still makes me lmao.

The author of the book was Dan Jenkins. Imho, Dan Jenkins was the greatest sports writer of all time. He's written about a dozen sports related novels and I've read most of them. He's a TCU graduate and he still goes to their home games. He was a golfer at TCU and his best work was about golf. And he's 88 and still going strong. His daughter Sally is also a sportswriter and a good one.

North Dallas Forty hasn't aged as well for me. It came out the year after ST, and it had its moments, but now it sounds like too much psycho babble.

Long live Dan Jenkins and Billy Clyde Puckett.
Well if we are going to go into football books - Meat on the Hoof! A must for any Longhorn fan. I read it when I was a kid, because I worshipped the Longhorns. Got quite an education!

I just never could get into the Jerry Mcquire deal. Probably due to Tom Cruise being a dweeb imo. Seems like Gooding’s career has nosedived since then.
And he won a freaking Oscar in that movie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT