ADVERTISEMENT

Football

Unless you have some inside confirmed info on recruiting, the win-loss expectations have been covered.

And arby's sells pastrami now..... doesn't mean it's any good.
I was feeling good, not great, but good about Hager, Omenihu, Roach on the DL and a wait and see on Nelson/Wilbon/T. Graham/Chisolm on this inside of the DL. What are you not liking? Only guy not returning is Poona.

And arby's sells pastrami now..... doesn't mean it's any good.
No kidding, but whiffing on all 5 is pretty hard to do. Only point I was making was, if any are left, year 3 is when they should start making a meaningful contribution. Unless they are pastrami.

Reactions: DrinkToIt
And I heard that was one h*** of a team. I read somewhere that it was considered one of the ten best teams of all time.
Good or not, you have to tip your hat to anyone playing football with a loincloth on their head. Back when young men were ruff n tuff.

I tend to trust our man Clob.....but all the supposed smart guys say the DL will be the strongest unit on our team.

I take that to mean we are in trouble......

Speaking of position groups, I noticed we have seven scholarships tied up on running backs alone:

Young, Carter, Porter, K. Johsnon, T. Houston, Townsend, Ingram

And despite that not sure yet if there is a single game changer among the group?

I tend to trust our man Clob.....but all the supposed smart guys say the DL will be the strongest unit on our team.

I take that to mean we are in trouble......
Again, while at practice, watching the dline and Oline doing drills, it is easier to get an idea of our talent and shortcomings than when we scrimmage. Nobody wants to get hurt in the scrimmage so everybody stays high.

I know a monster dline when I see one..... we ain't got it. Serviceable? Perhaps. But no monster.

We have an olineman transferring in from rice who will start..... Rice..... there have been very few olineman in history from rice that, compared to Texas talent, would be able to get playing time in our line......
The cal running back transfer is another example. In the history of cal running backs, there's been only one that could have started at Texas----- beastmode.... marshawn lynch. Young doesn't impress me yet.

Young I think can be...and don't forget we have that Cal transfer coming in.
Oops, we have EIGHT schollies tied up in RB’s. Crazy.

I like Young, I think he runs downhill bigger and stronger than his size and has decent speed once he gets going. Nice find and eval by Herman as he was the best RB we had last season. I just wish he had a little more burst and wiggle and he would be an elite total package.

I’m still wondering what Carter’s got if he can hang on to the ball and get out of the doghouse.

Reactions: Cotton #12
In the history of cal running backs, there's been only one that could have started at Texas----- beastmode.... marshawn lynch. Young doesn't impress me yet.

Nah, sorry, that's not right at all. Cal has had a lot of good RBs in the 21st century -- in addition to Lynch, they've had J.J. Arrington, Jahvid Best, Justin Forsett, Shane Vereen, and maybe others I'm forgetting. All of those guys were drafted, and all of them would have started here in almost any season over the last decade.

hell....old as I am I was thinking Chuck Muncie

at any rate.....I stand by my statement that I trust our man Clob

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
The pressure is on. All the staff layoffs may be occurring because of a drop in football/basketball ticket sales. We need facilities upgrades so a big season is needed indeed. Clob's dissent as a former player is not encouraging. So far, it seems the criticism is of players and not the coaches. Amiright?

The pressure is on. All the staff layoffs may be occurring because of a drop in football/basketball ticket sales. We need facilities upgrades so a big season is needed indeed. Clob's dissent as a former player is not encouraging. So far, it seems the criticism is of players and not the coaches. Amiright?
There's not enough of a body of work yet for the coaches to be assessed. Year one is always a throw away. You see patterns developing in play calling, game plans, critical situations etc.
Remember year one when Greg Davis started throwing screen passes? By year 3 we were all like, "Oh, another screen pass....". So yes, the jury is still out on the coaches.

DL- Good. Not great, not very good, just good. We have the horses on the ends, DT has a lot to prove.

LB- could be great. Will not miss Malik. That's right, I said it. As much as I loved Malik, he was still out of position and ran himself out of plays far too often. We're loaded with studs at LB. Gary Johnson and Anthony Wheeler both could turn out to be as good or better than Malik. Shark and Fabio are no slouches, either.

DB-OMFG I can't wait.

As far as RB, don't sleep on Kirk Johnson. People seem to have forgotten, but he showed flashes of brilliance before his injury.

I hope so Metcalf....but poor ole Kirk....He stays so injured when guys are NOT tackling him that I fear what happens when they start to tackle him.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT