ADVERTISEMENT

Grass or Turf

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
Which ever keeps the injuries down, I think your feet will give more on grass, if it don't work than
Turf
we can always smoke the Grass..lol

Hook'em

I'm a field turf fan myself. Much more comfortable to run on than the old Astro turf. I played several games at UT back in the day, on that old stuff. That shit was a nightmare. Tore up both my ankles and lost a lot of elbow skin on that stuff. Literally felt like a thin carpet strip over a concrete slab.

The new field turf is so much better. Plus much less maintenance, and looks good in all weather. Rain doesn't effect the game like it would if it got all muddy.

I know most old school guys are all about grass. I'm just different. Love me some field turf.

With the money the University has we should have a world class grass field, and they can drain them pretty easily with the technology available today.

I never played on field turf so I can't make to much of an argument against it, but Metcalfe #2 is right, I believe it's an old school deal that we believe the elements are a part of the game. Not a fan of indoor stadiums or artificial turf, even though I'm pretty sure TV would be for them.

Now, if there is evidence was that field turf reduced injuries, that would be a a different story.

Grass looks so much better in person and on TV, is much cooler (temperature wise), and just as soft as field turf. Birds like it! Those black pellets spraying up look terrible. The grass fields nowadays don't really get muddy during a rain - it all drains away. Even in the 90s that was true. I am jealous every time I watch a game somewhere that has a natural grass field.

I'm old school football should be played on grass.

It's like this:
Baseball is meant to played in the summertime.
Basketball and hockey are meant to be played indoors.

And football is meant to be played on grass. In 1996 UT finally went back to a grass field. In 2009 they went back to turf mostly because it was what Mack wanted. What's irritating for me is that our hatred rival north of the red river went back to a grass field the same time we did. But they've kept it that way and wet didn't. And that galls me to no end.

You can take this any way you want. But over the last 20 years only one field turf team has won a nc, tOSU in 2014. In fact only four other field turf teams made it to the title game. Unfortunately we were one of them. Imo, you're better off on a grass field.

I'm sorry, but that championship argument don't hold water. All those grass teams that won it all also just happen to be from the south, where we all know football is better anyway, and grass fields are also more common due to weather.

Also, how many of those field turf teams still practice on grass? Meaning they spend a few hours a week on field turf at most, and still spend the vast majority of their time on grass.

Too many variables for such a blanket statement.

EDIT: it wasn't field turf that cost us the 2009 NC. It was a freak injury to our QB.

Btw, he got hurt on grass.

(Yeah I know the turf had nothing to do with his injury. I'm just responding to a ridiculous argument in kind)

Last edited:
While I'm not a fan of field turf, it is much, much better than Astroturf, and plays pretty close to the way real grass does. IMO, football and baseball should be played on real grass as much as possible, especially in climates where grass grows well. One of the main reasons why so many schools and NFL teams have gone to field turf is because it is low maintenance compared to grass. Also, you can conduct lots of other activities on field turf, where you can't on grass, as grass would get worn out with heavy activity. I understand that one of the main reasons why the Disch has had artificial turf for years is the UT band uses it extensively to practice on, and if the stadium had grass, it would prohibit that.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I don’t really have a preference either way. The fact that a lot of these high school, college and pro programs are spending money to overhaul their fields to field turf would suggest there is some postive data in favor of turf. I mean it’s not cheap, so theycertsinly aren’t doimg it on a whim.

As far as the title argument that’s s little silly. I mean I can’t really see coaches sitting in their AD’s office going “You know what Saban has that we don’t? Natural grass!!”

I don’t really have a preference either way. The fact that a lot of these high school, college and pro programs are spending money to overhaul their fields to field turf would suggest there is some postive data in favor of turf. I mean it’s not cheap, so theycertsinly aren’t doimg it on a whim.

As far as the title argument that’s s little silly. I mean I can’t really see coaches sitting in their AD’s office going “You know what Saban has that we don’t? Natural grass!!”

Water>Field Turf

That and the upkeep of grass are the main issue.

Field turf is WAY less expensive to maintain compared to grass.
Yeah. I think upkeep explains why a lot of high schools are going to it. These college programs and pro teams are making money hand over fist(the big ones anyway). They aren’t trying to save nickels. I’m sure there are some athletic performance type things they’ve studied and concluded that field turf is best

I would let the players who play the game have a vote,The fans and coaches are not playing on the field,let them tell you the direction to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT