ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Popovich's wife has passed away

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
after a long illness. Erin Popovich was 67. She leaves behind 2 children and 2 grandkids. I read that that were married for more than 40 years. For a long time Pop was well known for being gruff/rude to reporters. But Erin made him out a stop to that and he became friendly to sideline reporters especially Doris Burke and Craig Sager. In fact he attended Sager's funeral.

It's been a long season for the San Antonio Spurs. They haven't won a road game since Feb 25th. They are the seventh seed and it appears that the Warriors will sweep them for the second straight year. It also appears that Kawhi Leonard will leave after the season. It's the first time since the Tim Duncan era it appears that the Spurs will not keep one of their superstars.

And with this development in his personal life it might be time for Greg Popovich to retire. He's had a career that only Phil Jackson can match. He's 69. He's going to coach the Olympic team in 2020 and he could have two years to prepare and he can cap of a remarkable career.

Rip
Erin Popovich

There's a college team an hour north that desperately needs a coach that can teach offense.

Pop is the best coach in all of sports for my money. Hang in there. RIP, Erin.

Being abrasive with the media or being highly critical of the president doesn't mean he is a bad person. He grew up in a working class neighborhood in Indiana, went to the Air force Academy, served 5 years of active duty and managed to stay married to the same woman for 40+ years. He also donates quite a bit of money and some of his time charity work that goes either under reported on not reported because he isn't a "hey look at me" type in either social media or the traditional media.

Being abrasive with the media or being highly critical of the president doesn't mean he is a bad person. He grew up in a working class neighborhood in Indiana, went to the Air force Academy, served 5 years of active duty and managed to stay married to the same woman for 40+ years. He also donates quite a bit of money and some of his time charity work that goes either under reported on not reported because he isn't a "hey look at me" type in either social media or the traditional media.

Word.

Reactions: outhereincali
i dont think hes a bad person.

i dont think hes a bad person.

So why aren't you a fan of him as a person? If you look at where he has come from and what he has done both professional and personally he is a pretty good dude. The summer between 8th and 9th grade (1991) I think I went to Spurs basketball camp and he was there working with kids. He talked about how he used basketball to stay out of trouble and the opportunities it provided him. In 92 or 93 (can't remember the exact year) the Spurs were part a plan that promoted literacy in San Antonio. Pop went around to local schools and read to students. I listened to him read the Tell Tale Heart in my high school's library and talk about his love for books and the importance of reading. He basically started the Midnight basketball program which morphed into the spurs youth basketball league, he has donated time and money to the SA food bank, is known to be a generous tipper and he donated a substantial amount of money to hurricane relief this year?

Respect pop as a coach and human, don't care about his political views. In the end, my vote means just as much as his.
Respect Kanye as a musician, don't care about his political views. In the end, my vote Meas just as much as his.
However, it is funny watching people's heads explode over what Kanye said today, and what pop said a few weeks ago. However, I Kanye is making waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more heads explode.

Reactions: LonghornMM
So Pop is a US military veteran and was highly offended and he took real exception with Trump lying about Obama and Bush never phoning the families of soldiers KIA. That is offensive and it was a lie. Not sure why that upsets conservatives so much who are vocally so pro military.

And when I stop to think about it in many ways Greg Popovich is a renaissance man. He majored in Soviet studies at the AFA. He speaks Russian and is well versed in world affairs. And as a matter of fact he had some lively discussions with his players especially Ginobili. He's well read and is a wine conaseur. His admirers say this about Phil Jackson, but so is Pop the difference is that Pop never brags about it.

Reactions: Scholz
I want Pop to Coach the Spurs! I don’t want Pop to tell me who to vote for or any short comings the President may have, Dem or Rep!

Reactions: LonghornMM
Just curious though do you say the same things about Trump supporters?

Clint Eastwood should just make movies and shut up.
I don't want Kid Rock or Ted Nugent to talk, just play music.
Bob Knight should only commentate about basketball, Mike Ditka football.
Dana White and Mike Tyson should only concern themselves with fights.

Their opinions mean nothin to me! Every last one so yea they can shut up also.

Exactly. I'm tired of these self-important Hollywood types, singers, coaches, etc. thinking that anyone cares about their political opinions. Just shut up and entertain us. You're view on politics is no better than anyone else's, and for these people to use their social status to spew their nonsense is BS. We don't give a damn about your political opinions!

I see what you're saying Scholz and trust me when I tell you--- I could care less who says what about whom-- I'm educated and if given facts, I am able to draw my own conclusions. I don't like keeping company that just spout canned phrases or party line marching orders.

Now I will admit this----- I do have a guilty pleasure--- and I readily admit, it is guilty, and I know I shouldn't enjoy this, and I do my best to keep it contained--- I fail from time to time, but I try..... my guilty pleasure is that I do soooo love watching people melt down over stupid sh!t or over other people's opinions..... especially "celebs" or sports figures. Seeing people absolutely lose their sh!t over something someone said (sometimes taken out of context) just entertains the sh!t out of me sometimes. Some people just freak the fvck out.

Now, as I age, I realize that sometimes this can be a bad thing because a few of those people losing their sh!t due to anger, pick up guns and start shooting people at baseball games, or drive rental trucks through city streets over people etc etc..... and that's wrong. But some folks are just such drama queens about sh!t that I can't help poking them at times for my own guilty pleasure (a$$hol-ish, I know) in the hopes of making them realize what a candy a$$ they are being (also asshol-ish, I know).

I'll bite. The political views are just icing. I never liked him because he fired a coach who lost David Robinson 10 games into the season due to injury, then named himself the head coach when he knew he was getting Duncan to go with Robinson. Then his "funny" smart a** answers to sideline reporters and post game interviewers. Comes across as very smug. I would say he earned the right to be smug, but see reason no. 1 - he planted himself in a can't lose situation.

That said, (a) he didn't screw it up, and (b) I don't dislike him such that I don't fee sympathy in his current plight. Rejoice in the good times you had with your wife Coach Pop - prayers for grief recovery.

It was 18 games into the season they were 3-15 and playing bad. The guys didn't trust him. Apparently he tried to get guys to snitch on each other because he didn't like guys going out on the road. Pop hired him when he couldn't get Don Nelson and there wasn't great chemistry between the two. That year they finished with the third worst record and lucked out in getting the #1 pick. Duncan wasn't a sure thing when he made the decision to fire Hill.

ADVERTISEMENT