ADVERTISEMENT

Has the state of Texas ever been dominated like that?

q1w2e3

Mar 2, 2005
UT signed six of the top seven and 11 of the top 15 players in Texas (composite rankings).

I did a brief check and I don't think anyone (in the last 20 years of internet recorded history) has done that. The Texas 2012, 2010, and 2002 were close. OU signed the top three and four total of the top 15 in 2008. The A&M self proclaimed #WRTS class in 2014 only had two of the top 10, three of the top 15, and only 6 in the entire top 25.

And to think this class was mostly built following three Charlie Strong losing seasons. Imagine if/when Herman starts winning big...

What if he gets dominated for another season like he did in 2017 and he can no longer recruit using Sumlin's hot seat and Bob Stoop's abrupt departure in the middle of the recruiting season? Fisher already has a big jump on the 2019 class? How could that have possibly happened when Fisher had only 2 weeks before the early signing period to start on his 2018 class? Herman had the vast majority of the 2018 class already signed before Christmas and all that time to get a jump on the 2019 class, yet Fisher is way out in front in 2019 and he was still able to close a strong 2018 class (8 signing day commits including two BAMA flips, 6 four stars and 6 out of state). What was Herman doing in January? Resting on his laurels, it looks like it, and he still hasn't won anything... what a wasted opportunity. Fisher has arrived with a NC in tow and Riley is fresh off a playoff appearance. 2019 is going to be a much more difficult situation for Tom.

@Dave Grohl

I will allow the first part of your argument. I agree.... a top 25 class for aggy in a transition year (albeit a very loud media splash transition with $75 million headlines) is still very respectable. Riley is fresh off a playoff, however, he has little excuse for any class out of the top five because though he may lack experience, his staff does not. So we'll call Oklahoma a wash.
With regard to Herman, yes, he did benefit from Sumlin being fired, as well as aggys poor bowl showing and texas' bowl win. But throw all this into a martini shaker, as some ice and shake well, and it still boils down to these simple, few facts:

If Herman wins, has texas in the conference champ fight, Texas will recruit better. If Herman wins 10 games--- it's over.
If he sh!ts the bed, all bets are off. But he can rally back because.... its texas

If jimbo wins, he's going to have a top15ish class. If jimbo wins 10, he will have a top 10 class.

If jimbo sh!ts the bed....... its going to be a long 10 years for ya'll.

You see..... when our downs are down, yes, they are bad. But when your downs are down.... they are 3-9 bad. Our highs are just historically higher than yours, and your lows are just historically lower than our lows.

I will agree that your highs have been higher than ours, but guys, you have had 8 losing seasons the last 35 years and we have had 4. I did not count 6-7 bowl loss years for either team. We both would have had a couple more if so. Your lows have been lower over that span...fact.

I will agree that your highs have been higher than ours, but guys, you have had 8 losing seasons the last 35 years and we have had 4. I did not count 6-7 bowl loss years for either team. We both would have had a couple more if so. Your lows have been lower over that span...fact.

Out of conference schedules make the difference.

This year was well done by Herman and staff. Relatively little drama and hit most targets.

Great class.

Now I believe next year is going to be one of the most interesting recruiting years in a long time. If Texas, OU, and aggy have good years it will be great to be a recruiting junkie. Aggy could have a year similar to what we had this year and still be a player. If we have a good year on the field we will have a great recruiting year.

Hopefully OU and the usual suspects who drop in and raid Texas talent will be shut out even more than they were this year.

@Dave Grohl

I will allow the first part of your argument. I agree.... a top 25 class for aggy in a transition year (albeit a very loud media splash transition with $75 million headlines) is still very respectable. Riley is fresh off a playoff, however, he has little excuse for any class out of the top five because though he may lack experience, his staff does not. So we'll call Oklahoma a wash.
With regard to Herman, yes, he did benefit from Sumlin being fired, as well as aggys poor bowl showing and texas' bowl win. But throw all this into a martini shaker, as some ice and shake well, and it still boils down to these simple, few facts:

If Herman wins, has texas in the conference champ fight, Texas will recruit better. If Herman wins 10 games--- it's over.
If he sh!ts the bed, all bets are off. But he can rally back because.... its texas

If jimbo wins, he's going to have a top15ish class. If jimbo wins 10, he will have a top 10 class.

If jimbo sh!ts the bed....... its going to be a long 10 years for ya'll.

You see..... when our downs are down, yes, they are bad. But when your downs are down.... they are 3-9 bad. Our highs are just historically higher than yours, and your lows are just historically lower than our lows.
A&M's last 3 win season was 1972... Nice try. Texas, on the other hand, has had losing seasons 3 out of the last 4 seasons, even with pretty good recruiting and in a very inferior conference. We fired a coach for 8 win seasons, you hired one hoping to get to that level and you're celebrating a 7-6 season and got there beating a Mizzou team that had no wins over bowl teams. Expectations are just higher in College Station...

A&M's last 3 win season was 1972... Nice try. Texas, on the other hand, has had losing seasons 3 out of the last 4 seasons, even with pretty good recruiting and in a very inferior conference. We fired a coach for 8 win seasons, you hired one hoping to get to that level and you're celebrating a 7-6 season and got there beating a Mizzou team that had no wins over bowl teams. Expectations are just higher in College Station...

Your last NC was closers to Abraham Lincolns death so let that sink in. The only win streak you had was when you cheated. So don't come here trying to tell us you expectations are higher in Collie Station. Even with our bad seasons kids prefer us over the aggie sheep f**kers. Collie station is so desperate they locked down a coach that went 7-6 for 75 mil guaranteed for 10 years. Nice...

Collie station is so desperate they locked down a coach that went 7-6 for 75 mil guaranteed for 10 years. Nice...

Correction. He went 5-6. The interim head coach won the last 2 games.

They locked down the 2017 Jimbo, not the 2013 NC winning coach. The 2017 version has allegedly found solace with his friend Evan Williams for several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: q1w2e3
in a very inferior conference.

Here we go again with the conference chest bumping from aggy. Dude YOUR SCHOOL is exactly what they were in the B12 and now in the sec sec sec. Medicore! Makes NO difference where you go it's the same results. Win an NC or just get into one then come here and speak about expectations. Your team hasn't added ANYTHING to the sec. So just stop!

Aggy conference record in the sec sec sec
2017 4-4
2016 4-4
2015 4-4
2014 3-5
2013 4-4
2012 6-2

Last edited:
I'll say it again. The difference between Texas and Aggy is simple..... University of Texas defines their conference and Texas Aggy is defined by their conference. This has been true since the dawn of time. They speak about other Teams successes to prop themselves up. They believe the success of those other Teams somehow reflects positively on them even though they have won nothing. This is a loser mentality or little brother syndrome that is used when you have an empty trophy case..Pathetic as usual..

What if he gets dominated for another season like he did in 2017 and he can no longer recruit using Sumlin's hot seat and Bob Stoop's abrupt departure in the middle of the recruiting season? Fisher already has a big jump on the 2019 class? How could that have possibly happened when Fisher had only 2 weeks before the early signing period to start on his 2018 class? Herman had the vast majority of the 2018 class already signed before Christmas and all that time to get a jump on the 2019 class, yet Fisher is way out in front in 2019 and he was still able to close a strong 2018 class (8 signing day commits including two BAMA flips, 6 four stars and 6 out of state). What was Herman doing in January? Resting on his laurels, it looks like it, and he still hasn't won anything... what a wasted opportunity. Fisher has arrived with a NC in tow and Riley is fresh off a playoff appearance. 2019 is going to be a much more difficult situation for Tom.

Dude, put down the pipe. aggy hasn't won anything of significance in forever, and you have the stones to run over here and puff your chest out like a&m is some power? aggy is nothing more than a conduit for the $EC to expand into the Texas market. You guys aren't competitive in the $EC and are being used, but you don't want to admit it. Get back to us when you win something. Until then, STFU.

I am not trying to flame but lately you have not defined anything except low expectations. We have been extremely mediocre at best but you have been worse, even though your expectations may be higher and you are supposed to be the flagship.

Nobody said we haven't been since Mack's departure. Your compadre Dave Grohl is over here saying Aggy expectations are higher and acting like a blue blood program with a winning pedigree. You have won nothing. The biggest win of your lifetime was a regular season win against Alabama.

When the day has been rough, it's always great to come to this forum and get a chuckle from you ol aggys that post on our site. I don't post there, but I gotta admit that I've gone to a texaggs site (I always look over my shoulder and around the corner to make sure no one sees me at that site)...some posts there even give me a bigger belly laugh. Please keep it coming!! :)

Reactions: outhereincali
I am not trying to flame but lately you have not defined anything except low expectations. We have been extremely mediocre at best but you have been worse, even though your expectations may be higher and you are supposed to be the flagship.

You're right we've been down but just Mack Brown's era has been better than all of aggy footballs existence so there's that.

The same conference that produced a Kansas State bowl game rout of Aggie a year ago? The same conference that the Aggies won exactly once in its 15 years, and even that was by a monumental upset? Just checking.

17ye3famk8pabjpg.jpg

This one pic sums up aggy in a nutshell...

i thought ag eqauted themselves well in recruiting, all things considered. better than herman did year 1, on paper at least-- if ehlinger becomes a star (opinions vary, but it's on the table). i DO NOT believe year2 over there goes as well as yr2 for herman. but hey, i bet bama will be good again this year. ya got that.

i thought ag eqauted themselves well in recruiting, all things considered. better than herman did year 1, on paper at least-- if ehlinger becomes a star (opinions vary, but it's on the table). i DO NOT believe year2 over there goes as well as yr2 for herman. but hey, i bet bama will be good again this year. ya got that.

You are right not a bad close for them, but it's hard to compare the two transition classes, yet. Herman was only left 5 commits by Strong. Sumlin left Fisher 15 (including Bobby Brown and Leon SloNeal).

Now Fisher and his staff has to recruit at a regional school in A&M that isn't a national brand like FSU. In addition he benefited from recruiting Florida in a time that Miami and UF were at the lowest of their lows along with conference mate Clemson not being Clemson yet. He now comes to a new region at a school that's a jag and the flagship school in that state has an elite recruiter. This new state is also heavily recruited by new SEC conference mates much higher up the totem pole.

All that said they will probably have a pretty good class in Fisher's free pass year. Long term will be interesting.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
I'll say it again. The difference between Texas and Aggy is simple..... University of Texas defines their conference
Dude, you better be kissing OU and TCU's ass because without them, the Big 12 wouldn't have been a pimple on the football landscape the last few years.

I don't deny that. And if you're intellectually honest, you'll go back and re-read the postings that I put on this board back when Steve Patterson was hired who in turn hired charlie strong. In point of fact, it was the first time I'd ever joined a chat board of any form because I could see this experiment (both AD and head coach) would fail miserably.

So taking into account that Texas hired a wisconsin carpet bagger, who openly admitted when he was fired that his main objective during his tenure was to hire coaches that were not white, this shows you how off the rails we became as a program. Before anybody jumps on me and starts barking about what I just said, take two minutes and Google patterson's last presser. He said, and I quote "I am most proud during my tenure, of my two historical hires in football and basketball."

Wtf is so historic about them? It's quite obvious what he meant. When we hire based on anything other than MERIT, we fail.... the majority of the time.

Given the historically catastrophic hiring of both Patterson and strong, a&m was given a MASSIVE window with which to make up decades of ground in recruiting and catching up to Texas. Instead, you wasted this time. You squandered your opportunity under strong to grasp hold of the state and dominate for years to come. During the worst stretch in modern texas football history, you guys basically made up no ground. Your window is still open. The jury is still out on Herman and aggy finally made an aggressive hire to capitalize BUT it could be too little too late.

Only time will tell.

Dude, you better be kissing OU and TCU's ass because without them, the Big 12 wouldn't have been a pimple on the football landscape the last few years.

Great logic!! Dude, you better be kissing Alabama and Georgia's ass because without them, the SEC wouldn't have a been a pimple on the football landscape the last few years.

come on! that team that lost to central florida and beat alabama by double digits was okay! of course, they did lose to central florida.

Great logic!! Dude, you better be kissing Alabama and Georgia's ass because without them, the SEC wouldn't have a been a pimple on the football landscape the last few years.
I didn't say A&M defined the SEC like the poster I responded to did regarding the Big 12

Reactions: q1w2e3
ADVERTISEMENT