ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Strangerhorn, what do you know about this tune?

westx

Dec 6, 2009
I have been following a blockchain technology company named Ripple Labs for qite some time now and they apparently named the company after this Grateful Dead song in 2012. It is a good song and I enjoyed it. What do you know about the meaning? I looked it up and it was off of their 1970 “Truckin” album. I don’t know much about the Grateful Dead other than they had a good size cult following, they used two drummers (which is a little weird) and that I kind of like their song Touch of Gray @StrangerHorn

I posted this version because I liked it better than the original with Jerry Garcia.

Last edited:
Reactions: StrangerHorn
I have been following a blockchain technology company named Ripple Labs for qite some time now and they apparently named the company after this Grateful Dead song in 2012. It is a good song and I enjoyed it. What do you know about the meaning? I looked it up and it was off of their 1970 “Truckin” album. I don’t know much about the Grateful Dead other than they had a good size cult following, they used two drummers (which is a little weird) and that I kind of like their song Touch of Gray @StrangerHorn

I posted this version because I liked it better than the original with Jerry Garcia.

I know the band but, just didn't follow them but, the Deadheads are still going without Jerry and go on and on...LOL

Absolute legends and still going strong with John Mayer (coming to TX in October)... music covers every imaginable genre but if you listen to 1970 to 1972 albums (Workingman's Dead, American Beauty) and concerts (most famous is Europe '72) those are their most "mainstream" friendly rock n roll years. Plenty of others for the more hardcore fans but if you want a good introduction that's the best place to start.

Reactions: westx
Absolute legends and still going strong with John Mayer (coming to TX in October)... music covers every imaginable genre but if you listen to 1970 to 1972 albums (Workingman's Dead, American Beauty) and concerts (most famous is Europe '72) those are their most "mainstream" friendly rock n roll years. Plenty of others for the more hardcore fans but if you want a good introduction that's the best place to start.
You dropped acid in the 70s. Didn't ya...... ;)

R. Hunter said it was about the still water in Psalm23. But the Dead believed what their songs meant to the listener was as just as valid as what they meant to the band.

There are a lot of Christian under meanings in Dead songs. Uncle John’s Band is easy to connect to being about John the Baptist. Greatest Story Ever Told has Moses, Abraham, Issac, Gideon, and other references.

Hunter was the Dead main songwriter and great great grandson of poet Robert Burns.

Hart was the percussionist, with the tribal rhythms, and Kreutzmann was the drummer, with a jazz background. Kreutzmann’s maternal grandfather was none other than football coach Clark Shaughnessy who introduced the forward pass and T formation to football.

Last edited:
R. Hunter said it was about the still water in Psalm23. But the Dead believed what their songs meant to the listener was as just as valid as what they meant to the band.

There are a lot of Christian under meanings in Dead songs. Uncle John’s Band is easy to connect to being about John the Baptist. Greatest Story Ever Told has Moses, Abraham, Issac, Gideon, and other references.

Hunter was the Dead main songwriter and great great grandson of poet Robert Burns.

Hart was the percussionist, with the tribal rhythms, and Kreutzmann was the drummer, with a jazz background. Kreutzmann’s maternal grandfather was none other than football coach Clark Shaughnessy who introduced the forward pass and T formation to football.
I don’t know if you listened to the version, I posted with Jimmy Buffer, David Crosby and David Hidalgo, but if you did, what do you think of it?

I don’t know if you listened to the version, I posted with Jimmy Buffer, David Crosby and David Hidalgo, but if you did, what do you think of it?
Not a Buffet nor Crosby guy so it’s not for me.

I still have my Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators, I still listen to on 45 rpm and Moody Blues. Dire Straights, Eric Clapton and a couple recordings from the Armadillo, back then ya had Garage Bands playing Frat Parties, Jst Halls, KC..etc and them dudes was good. I used to go to the Jade Room and listen to the Rhythm sort of a jazz place then on to close the night out at Ferrari subs and the Warehouse.....for Square Pizza,,,LOL

Good Times!

I still have my Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators, I still listen to on 45 rpm and Moody Blues. Dire Straights, Eric Clapton and a couple recordings from the Armadillo, back then ya had Garage Bands playing Frat Parties, Jst Halls, KC..etc and them dudes was good. I used to go to the Jade Room and listen to the Rhythm sort of a jazz place then on to close the night out at Ferrari subs and the Warehouse.....for Square Pizza,,,LOL

Good Times!
Ahhh, the Moody Blues. One of my all time favorite bands. Saw them once at an outdoor theater in Denver back in ‘88 when I lived in Vail for 2 years right out of college. It was awesome and a trip…..if you know what I mean.

Good Times!
Shiva's Head Band had their own "Ripple." Do you have "Take me to the Mountains?

Good Times!
Late 80s I toked with a neighbors’ dad a few times. Found out a few years later it was Roky.

Late 80s I toked with a neighbors’ dad a few times. Found out a few years later it was Roky.
A friend of mine from high school and college was starting a bar band in 1973. They auditioned Roky, but he couldn't remember the words to his own songs.

A friend of mine from high school and college was starting a bar band in 1973. They auditioned Roky, but he couldn't remember the words to his own songs.

That's Roky for ya! He also did a stint at Rusk State Hospital... he was crazy as a LoonI remember going to see Rusty Weir and the BabyCakes and Revised Edition at the Jade Room, good music all over town at that time...

He also set a record for the Travis County Jail for being busted...

That's Roky for ya! He also did a stint at Rusk State Hospital... he was crazy as a LoonI remember going to see Rusty Weir and the BabyCakes and Revised Edition at the Jade Room, good music all over town at that time...

He also set a record for the Travis County Jail for being busted...

I checked him out a while back when you first mentioned it. He has some dark lyrics on a couple if songs. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time listening to all of his music, but I did listen to a few of them

I checked him out a while back when you first mentioned it. He has some dark lyrics on a couple if songs. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time listening to all of his music, but I did listen to a few of them
He was a space cadet for sure West, i heard the real story with him and drugs, he started good then the drug took him over...too much heroin ...

ADVERTISEMENT