ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring unproven coaching

2300 Nueces

Sep 27, 2015
I said this last year. If we are going to hire an unproven coach, contract should be 2 years at 1mil.. max. I have a feeling these 5 year deals are creating a false sense of security and we are getting lazy efforts. See current staff for proof and the last one.... It's time to start bullying wins again.

I don’t think Tom Herman has a sense of security. I think he’s trying to figure out how to be a head coach. The guy is on his 4th season as s head coach, and for a lot of his time in Houston he was trying to decide if he wanted to go to LSU, Texas or USC.

When he came here he had one move the swagger, tough guy, we’re gonna kick ass act. That works at Houston when your 12-0. Now that he’s getting his ass licked that doesn’t work anymore, and he doesn’t know what to do. If you are learning how to be a HC at Texas you will get buried and that is what is happening to Tom Herman.

I don’t think Tom Herman has a sense of security. I think he’s trying to figure out how to be a head coach. The guy is on his 4th season as s head coach, and for a lot of his time in Houston he was trying to decide if he wanted to go to LSU, Texas or USC.

When he came here he had one move the swagger, tough guy, we’re gonna kick ass act. That works at Houston when your 12-0. Now that he’s getting his ass licked that doesn’t work anymore, and he doesn’t know what to do. If you are learning how to be a HC at Texas you will get buried and that is what is happening to Tom Herman.

Which BMD was responsible for bringing him in? This person should be banned from any future coaching hires.

Which BMD was responsible for bringing him in? This person should be banned from any future coaching hires.
I don’t know, but if didn’t help that there wasn’t a true AD in place. I mean Mike Perin is a nice man, very successful in his arena, but wasn’t an AD.

Something to keep an eye out for. If he wins next week there is a very good chance major wins 10-12 games at Houston. If that happens someone in the donor class is going to start rumbling “you know what we need we need a “Texas guy”. Hopefully with a solid AD in place he can kind of put a wet blanket in stuff like that

Texas has changed presidents, athletic directors, head coaches, assistant coaches and players have come and gone and not much has changed over the last 10 years. I honestly don't know what the issue or answer is. Its frustrating to see the Alabamas, Ohio States, Clemsons, Georgias, Oklahomas and a couple of others have great success and not Texas. I'm at a loss. Tom Herman was a hot commodity when Texas hired him and I liked the hire. For those that didn't like the hire, its not like there was a known, proven coach that was willing to take the job, or if another name would have been hired that he would have been successful either. At this point, I think Herman gets one more year to turn the corner. If he doesn't, we're back to another coaching search.

Texas has changed presidents, athletic directors, head coaches, assistant coaches and players have come and gone and not much has changed over the last 10 years. I honestly don't know what the issue or answer is. Its frustrating to see the Alabamas, Ohio States, Clemsons, Georgias, Oklahomas and a couple of others have great success and not Texas. I'm at a loss. Tom Herman was a hot commodity when Texas hired him and I liked the hire. For those that didn't like the hire, its not like there was a known, proven coach that was willing to take the job, or if another name would have been hired that he would have been successful either. At this point, I think Herman gets one more year to turn the corner. If he doesn't, we're back to another coaching search.

I agree 100%. I have to apologize to Ryan and FB because the were correct on Herman. This team is so soft. It's buttery soft..... The breck girl tweet should have clued us in.

My point being.... the 5 year deal is not the answer for an unproven coach. It's a disaster. I say 2 years max at low pay... If we get a 180 in play and wins, then pay the man. If not, cut bait and start over. Recruiting has already turned south on Herman. There is nothing short of making the playoff that will turn it around at this point.

I'm not ready to give up on Herman yet. I had high hopes after the Missouri game last year but I do have my concerns. I hope we aren't looking for a new coach next year because if we are that means things went horribly wrong. But if we were looking I would go back to what I said last time. Go after a power 5 coach that has over perfomed his schools history. The top of my list would be the pirate.

Dabo went 6-7 in year 3 and people were questioning him. I think it’s early to talk coaching search but here you go anyway...

Justin Fuente
Matt Campbell
James Franklin
Chip Kelly
Gus Malzahn

That’s your short list based on the criteria in the thread

Reactions: westx
Dabo went 6-7 in year 3 and people were questioning him. I think it’s early to talk coaching search but here you go anyway...

Justin Fuente
Matt Campbell
James Franklin
Chip Kelly
Gus Malzahn

Trying not to be cynical but the current pay for play environment in CFB is such that a coach is worth only what the players do on the field. We know that rampant cheating exists. Coaches are managers and play callers. It's not THAT difficult. If any of those dudes above would take a 2 year contract at 500k per year, sign them up. Take the difference and PAY the PLAYERS.

Justin Fuente
Matt Campbell
James Franklin
Chip Kelly
Gus Malzahn

Yeah, Dabo isn't leaving Clemson for Texas. My choice from that list would be Fuente. Texas would never hire Chip Kelly or Mike Leach.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Chris Del Conte(AD) spent 8 years at TCU watching Gary Patterson prepare his teams and win games and I think he will see a difference at Texas and he will become impatient if Texas does not turn the corner soon and changes will be made.

We have to back off of the ledge for now. I think Herman made many right decisions in running this program like it should be run. He has put a new foundation in place. Just my opinion, but, I want to give credit to clob, horn wild and others that have harped on the defensive line talent. Those dudes are fighting hard, it is just they are inferior talent (save Omenihu). Nonetheless, if we had a more dominant or at least an above average defensive line, this season would look quite a bit different. Next year will be in decent shape in all position groups except the DL again. We just don't have the big ugly pipeline going and it takes time.

We have to back off of the ledge for now. I think Herman made many right decisions in running this program like it should be run. He has put a new foundation in place. Just my opinion, but, I want to give credit to clob, horn wild and others that have harped on the defensive line talent. Those dudes are fighting hard, it is just they are inferior talent (save Omenihu). Nonetheless, if we had a more dominant or at least an above average defensive line, this season would look quite a bit different. Next year will be in decent shape in all position groups except the DL again. We just don't have the big ugly pipeline going and it takes time.

The pipeline is going through the kennel (Lassieville) atm. They are paying. We don't need a big name coach, we need big time players.

Your current circumstances remind me of the 90's @ OU. Promoting the loyal assistant; panicking and going after a "name" coach; taking the biased opinion of a former legendary coach. Finally, a smart AD...Joe Castiglione made a wise and inciteful decision and the rest is history. Del Conte is the key. He will pick the next guy.

Your current circumstances remind me of the 90's @ OU. Promoting the loyal assistant; panicking and going after a "name" coach; taking the biased opinion of a former legendary coach. Finally, a smart AD...Joe Castiglione made a wise and inciteful decision and the rest is history. Del Conte is the key. He will pick the next guy.

Yes, it looks like CDC is the best UT hire in a quarter century. I'm still hoping that TH can turn it around but the cracks are already showing. Letting BMD's/Boosters hire coaches is never a good idea.

Good grief people get a grip. The season just started. And the SC team were playing on Saturday is not as good as the team we saw last year. And as average as we were that team barely beat us. One last thing JT Daniels is just as unproven as Ehlinger.

And hey a blue blood is coming Memorial Stadium on Saturday night. Our biggest rivalry as we all know is played at a neutral site. The last time a blue blood came to Memorial Stadium was tOSU and that was 12 years ago.

And when it comes to the Texas Longhorns the most meaningless thing is good as your last game. Now HookemHorns and let's get pumped. I sure hope that SC brings the song girls to Austin. There are good looking cheerleaders then there are the song girls :)

Last edited:
I said this last year. If we are going to hire an unproven coach, contract should be 2 years at 1mil.. max. I have a feeling these 5 year deals are creating a false sense of security and we are getting lazy efforts. See current staff for proof and the last one.... It's time to start bullying wins again.
The coaching carousel is a real thing my friend.

Agree. Just my take, but it's the culture. Not Austin or UT, but specifically the athletic dept. I can't say I follow much outside men's fball/bball, but haven't all our teams been under performing for almost 10 years? Regarding football, we just stopped being a meritocracy and developing players . Coaches/players are just riding schollys and collecting checks. Our players were recruited by other top programs, right? It's like our 4/5* guys are playing video games or on Facebook while 4/5* guys at the other schools lifting, training, being coached year round. Look at how almost every QB since Gilbert progressive fades the longer they are on campus. Swoopes in 2014, Heard in 2015, Buchele 2016, and now Ehlinger. All show promise as freshman, only to be moved, benched, etc...

That said, every week is a new week. From 15 games under Herman, we can beat or get beaten by anyone on our schedule. Barring a major Paterno-Pitino type scandal, he should get at the end of 2019 and go from there.

every QB since Gilbert progressive fades the longer they are on campus. Swoopes in 2014, Heard in 2015, Buchele 2016, and now Ehlinger. All show promise as freshman, only to be moved, benched, etc...

Maybe somebody got too obsessed with Westlake and a few other schools? I know therer are some guys that can play the hell outa ya in HS and can't play worth a shit at college level!

Hook'em

ADVERTISEMENT