ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Take: Bob Stoops to Trojans

That doesn't sound like a guy who seems dead set on keeping his desk job. Why not just say "no"?
Exactly. But, I just don't see Stoops on the USC sideline or in SoCal. Just doesn't seem like a cultural fit to me. Football-wise, he goes into any store or restaurant in Norman and people are padding him on the back. In SoCal, no one will know who he is in public - maybe he doesn't care.

Sure, his wife can find a nice mansion somewhere in Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Pacific Palisades or Brentwood to live, but they can't escape the wasteland the area has become. From any of those nice enclaves you will pass countless tent cities on the drive to campus. Norman is no paradise but it also doesn't have tent cities and druggies everywhere - literally everywhere.

Reactions: freeper

Joel Klatt Names The 5 Coaches He Would Call If He Were In Charge Of USC Search​

College Spun Media
MATT AUDILET
September 14, 2021, 7:34 PM
Joel Klatt at a conference.

Just two weeks into the 2021-22 college football season, one of the most highly sought-after jobs in the country is up for grabs.
After an embarrassing 42-28 home loss to Stanford, the USC Trojans fired longtime head coach Clay Helton. Now, the program is on the hunt for its next leader — and some big-time names are being thrown into the mix.
On Tuesday evening, college football insider Joe Klatt revealed who he thinks the USC program should reach out to as their potential future head coach.
Klatt feels the Trojans should shoot high on their search, reaching out to some of the premier current and former college football coaches.
  • Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley
  • Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney
  • Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly
  • former Florida/Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer
  • Ohio State head coach Ryan Day

After making these coaches say “no,” Klatt suggested a secondary group of coaches for USC to gun for.

• Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal
  • Penn State head coach James Franklin
  • Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley
  • Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy
  • New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels
While the USC football coaching gig is certainly an enticing job, most of these coaches (especially on the first list) would be more than a long shot to leave their current situations.
Riley, Swinney, Kelly and Day all have well-established programs with history of recent success, Meyer is currently notching his first NFL season with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Cristobal has his Pac 12 program positioned as a top-five team in the nation.
The only name on this list that has officially been reported as a potential candidate is Bieniemy. The longtime NFL assistant, a former native of Southern California, has previously noted that the USC job is the only gig that could persuade him back into the college ranks.
As of right now, interim head coach duties fall on Donte Williams.

Exactly. But, I just don't see Stoops on the USC sideline or in SoCal. Just doesn't seem like a cultural fit to me. Football-wise, he goes into any store or restaurant in Norman and people are padding him on the back. In SoCal, no one will know who he is in public - maybe he doesn't care.

Sure, his wife can find a nice mansion somewhere in Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Pacific Palisades or Brentwood to live, but they can't escape the wasteland the area has become. From any of those nice enclaves you will pass countless tent cities on the drive to campus. Norman is no paradise but it also doesn't have tent cities and druggies everywhere - literally everywhere.
Ok--- Urban Meyer when asked immediately said "no way, no how. I'm staying in jacksonville."

Stoops was wishy washy. Why? Fox won't get into a salary bidding war for Bob. Doesn't work that way. Fox won't bid. So he knows he can't hustle a raise out of them.

Yet, he did not say "no" one time.

Ok--- Urban Meyer when asked immediately said "no way, no how. I'm staying in jacksonville."

Stoops was wishy washy. Why? Fox won't get into a salary bidding war for Bob. Doesn't work that way. Fox won't bid. So he knows he can't hustle a raise out of them.

clob, I'm tellin' ya my man, Stoops ain't taking the USC job.

Then explain to me why he didn't say no.

Anybody give me a rational explanation that can be backed up, and I'll listen.

Of course I don't know Stoops personally, but you can see it in his body language and tone of his voice in interviews. I saw that loud and clear when he was coaching the Dallas Renegades last year. He's done. I just don't think that he has the burning desire to coach anymore. USC would be making a huge mistake if they gave the HC job to Stoops.

I could see them money whipping Kyle Whittingham.

He's had several chances to leave Utah and turned them all down. He's a Morman and is settled in at Utah. I don't see him leaving there. The list of candidates from Joel Klatt that I posted above make a lot of sense.

The one thing I noticed about Stoops on TV so far is every time he refers to OU he uses the term "we". I think he is a Sooner always at heart and is not interested in coaching again. Of course that's just my opinion and could be totally wrong.

Reactions: Belldozer1
He's had several chances to leave Utah and turned them all down. He's a Morman and is settled in at Utah. I don't see him leaving there. The list of candidates from Joel Klatt that I posted above make a lot of sense.
I could see Chris Peterson possibly.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Of course I don't know Stoops personally, but you can see it in his body language and tone of his voice in interviews. I saw that loud and clear when he was coaching the Dallas Renegades last year. He's done. I just don't think that he has the burning desire to coach anymore. USC would be making a huge mistake if they gave the HC job to Stoops.
Then WHY did he not say no? You have not addressed that, my man.

Joel Klatt is right about 1 in 10.

Maybe he saw his name come up and he’s liking the attention. Everyone likes to feel wanted. He’ll let the attention die on its own. I don’t have anything else.

Maybe he saw his name come up and he’s liking the attention. Everyone likes to feel wanted. He’ll let the attention die on its own. I don’t have anything else.
My man, that guys name has come up for every NFL, major college job every year for over a decade. Homeboy is passed all that.

My man, that guys name has come up for every NFL, major college job every year for over a decade. Homeboy is passed all that.
Hell, I still feel like a giddy 25 year-old when I get hit up with a new job opportunity every 3-4 months or so.

Last edited:

Joel Klatt Names The 5 Coaches He Would Call If He Were In Charge Of USC Search​

College Spun Media
MATT AUDILET
September 14, 2021, 7:34 PM

Just two weeks into the 2021-22 college football season, one of the most highly sought-after jobs in the country is up for grabs.
After an embarrassing 42-28 home loss to Stanford, the USC Trojans fired longtime head coach Clay Helton. Now, the program is on the hunt for its next leader — and some big-time names are being thrown into the mix.
On Tuesday evening, college football insider Joe Klatt revealed who he thinks the USC program should reach out to as their potential future head coach.
Klatt feels the Trojans should shoot high on their search, reaching out to some of the premier current and former college football coaches.
  • Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley
  • Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney
  • Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly
  • former Florida/Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer
  • Ohio State head coach Ryan Day

After making these coaches say “no,” Klatt suggested a secondary group of coaches for USC to gun for.

• Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal
  • Penn State head coach James Franklin
  • Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley
  • Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy
  • New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels
While the USC football coaching gig is certainly an enticing job, most of these coaches (especially on the first list) would be more than a long shot to leave their current situations.
Riley, Swinney, Kelly and Day all have well-established programs with history of recent success, Meyer is currently notching his first NFL season with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Cristobal has his Pac 12 program positioned as a top-five team in the nation.
The only name on this list that has officially been reported as a potential candidate is Bieniemy. The longtime NFL assistant, a former native of Southern California, has previously noted that the USC job is the only gig that could persuade him back into the college ranks.
As of right now, interim head coach duties fall on Donte Williams.
The 1st list doesn’t make sense to me. However, the the second does looks more realistic. I predict James Franklin will be the next coach with Eric Bienemy as the 1st alternate. I think either one would do well. Btw, whatever happened to John Harbaugh secretly interested in USC from a couple of years ago when we hired Herman?

My brother has a source who said that Urban has already worn out his welcome in Jacksonville. He's screaming at everyone players, coaches, you name it.

The 1st list doesn’t make sense to me. However, the the second does looks more realistic. I predict James Franklin will be the next coach with Eric Bienemy as the 1st alternate. I think either one would do well. Btw, whatever happened to John Harbaugh secretly interested in USC from a couple of years ago when we hired Herman?
I don't have any one name but if you think about it most college coaches were from the region that they're coaching. Take the Big X Ryan Day and PJ Fleck are Midwestern guys they cut their teeth on Midwestern fb. And its usually like that all over the country.

So when it comes to USC maybe there's a big name successful coach from the west coast who might be the ideal coach. And one other thing about USC. I think you need to be a high profile with a I love LA kind of personality. You know like Pete Carroll.

Imo

Frentz shouldn’t be. He has been overrated for the last decade. He is WAY overpaid for the results he has given them. Never understood what he is still doing there.
Should Iowa follow the horn plan for coaching? Is Ferentz really overpaid? Serious question. 😉

A lot of these guys don’t want to coach, but they like being courted. I think Urban was like that, Gruden for awhile. And I think stoops is doing that.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT