ADVERTISEMENT

I guess I am curious which SEC teams TEXAS will beat ?

Before that Arky game the last 3 SEC teams we faced I feel like we won the LOS battle in all 3 of those games. I think we are overreacting to one game here.
LSU whipped us upfront. Now they didn't whip us in the 1st-- they did some in the 2nd. In the 3rd it was starting to get obvious. By the 4th, we were dead legged.

Ya but we both know that Saban doesn't front end load his classes. He sits back there on the back of the bus then Jan rolls around. Then BAM-- 20 5* guys just show up.
Saban and his staff also invest tremendously in player development. The rankings matter not as much as finding the players with the upside to develop into high impact players. Alex Leatherwood and Mac Jones were both 3 star recruits.

LSU whipped us upfront. Now they didn't whip us in the 1st-- they did some in the 2nd. In the 3rd it was starting to get obvious. By the 4th, we were dead legged.
We held them to under 4 yards a carry and had 4 sacks. I would hardly call that a whipping. It was pretty evenly matched the whole game.

We held them to under 4 yards a carry and had 4 sacks. I would hardly call that a whipping. It was pretty evenly matched the whole game.
He's just absolutely obsessed and determined to be right about the weakness of our OL. Sometimes you just have to let it go.

He's just absolutely obsessed and determined to be right about the weakness of our OL. Sometimes you just have to let it go.
I'm in no way trying to say our offensive line is very good at this point. I'm just simply stating that our last 3 games against SEC opponents before Arky we played really well in the trenches. That Georgia team we beat in the Sugar Bowl was averaging over 250 yards a game on the ground and we held them under 100 yards.

We held them to 3.5 ypc, yes. They held us to 3.3--- that isn't a win. They sacked us 5 times, not 4. We sacked them 4 times. Now, here's the subtle differences that we need to learn--

The majority of our sacks in that game came from deception. Dbs had sacks, LBs had sacks-- but we didn't have and down lineman line up and get to Joe 1 on 1.

Remember back in the 2000s when we'd play K State and somehow they'd blitz at just the right time and sack us and kill our drive? We had better guys in the trenches than k state did. Very rarely would you find a k state DE or NT that could just run by one of our oline- unless it was a busted play call-- so Purple Wizard would dial up some trickery, and he was masterful at it.

But smoke and mirrors will only get you so far. Arky was rushing 3 for most of the game. Both QBs were running for their lives from 3 down lineman being blocked by 5 Olineman. That means one of 2 things-

1. Arkys DL is full of beasts. (They aren't)
2. We are not any good upfront right now.

I'm going with 2. Now, were we playing the 2018 Clemson tigers Dline-- I'm going with #1. Those guys were flat out animals. But anytime you can rush 3 and send the QB running for his life consistently, you've either got a really good front 3, or a really weak front 5.

If we want to compete in the SEC we need 4 things.

1. A bunch of Ja'daveon Clowney looking defensive ends. 6'6 270-- speed off the edge, closing speed--
2. Some Casey Hampton nose guard type, and a Shaun Rogers 3 tech.
3. A left tackle that nobody gets by. A monster. A Jonathon Ogden monster that handles everything blind side.
4. Two guards built like Leonard Davis that can pull, get up the field and eat linebackers like hostess twinkies.

I can put a run of the mill right tackle out the along with a fair to midland center and I'm running all over your butt.

Arky is not full of beasts.I saw somebodies disection of our line play from that game and it showed total confusion on our part. There were some plays where we had 4 guys....FOUR! blocking ONE! Arky guy. I have to tell you that we blocked hell out of him and he never came close to sacking our QB.....but that didnt leave anyone else to block all the rest of them. Turns out our O line was totally unprepared for any line stunts. Arky didnt line up like we had practiced against.

Reactions: DHHorn
I'm in no way trying to say our offensive line is very good at this point. I'm just simply stating that our last 3 games against SEC opponents before Arky we played really well in the trenches. That Georgia team we beat in the Sugar Bowl was averaging over 250 yards a game on the ground and we held them under 100 yards.
Oh I agree with you for sure but I'm still living in 2005 and 2009.

Arky is not full of beasts.I saw somebodies disection of our line play from that game and it showed total confusion on our part. There were some plays where we had 4 guys....FOUR! blocking ONE! Arky guy. I have to tell you that we blocked hell out of him and he never came close to sacking our QB.....but that didnt leave anyone else to block all the rest of them. Turns out our O line was totally unprepared for any line stunts. Arky didnt line up like we had practiced against.
Yes, those thinking that Arky is a juggernaut will be disappointed. Arky was fired up to level 11 and was ready for a street fight. We were not prepared mentally for that environment.

Reactions: westx
We held them to 3.5 ypc, yes. They held us to 3.3--- that isn't a win. They sacked us 5 times, not 4. We sacked them 4 times. Now, here's the subtle differences that we need to learn--

The majority of our sacks in that game came from deception. Dbs had sacks, LBs had sacks-- but we didn't have and down lineman line up and get to Joe 1 on 1.

Remember back in the 2000s when we'd play K State and somehow they'd blitz at just the right time and sack us and kill our drive? We had better guys in the trenches than k state did. Very rarely would you find a k state DE or NT that could just run by one of our oline- unless it was a busted play call-- so Purple Wizard would dial up some trickery, and he was masterful at it.

But smoke and mirrors will only get you so far. Arky was rushing 3 for most of the game. Both QBs were running for their lives from 3 down lineman being blocked by 5 Olineman. That means one of 2 things-

1. Arkys DL is full of beasts. (They aren't)
2. We are not any good upfront right now.

I'm going with 2. Now, were we playing the 2018 Clemson tigers Dline-- I'm going with #1. Those guys were flat out animals. But anytime you can rush 3 and send the QB running for his life consistently, you've either got a really good front 3, or a really weak front 5.

If we want to compete in the SEC we need 4 things.

1. A bunch of Ja'daveon Clowney looking defensive ends. 6'6 270-- speed off the edge, closing speed--
2. Some Casey Hampton nose guard type, and a Shaun Rogers 3 tech.
3. A left tackle that nobody gets by. A monster. A Jonathon Ogden monster that handles everything blind side.
4. Two guards built like Leonard Davis that can pull, get up the field and eat linebackers like hostess twinkies.

I can put a run of the mill right tackle out the along with a fair to midland center and I'm running all over your butt.
If you look at the guys Sark has pulled in thus far in the 2022 class he is definitely trying to shore that defensive line up. We have 8 4 star defensive lineman committed thus far. The offensive line is what i'm worried about the most honestly. Who knows maybe some of the younger guys can play. I heard Acho say the other night they have re vamped the S&C program trying to focus more on explosiveness. Maybe those guys just need a good year in the weight room.

Last edited:
We will know a lot more about that Arky team come this Saturday. A&M has some studs on that defensive line.

I watched some of the Arky vs Georgia Southern. Arky didn't get as much presure on them as they did us. Does that mean Georgia Southern's line is better than ours? Probably not. Arky was pumped up when they played us and had some new schemes they didn't show vs Rice. You probably will not see them play that good again all year.

I watched some of the Arky vs Georgia Southern. Arky didn't get as much presure on them as they did us. Does that mean Georgia Southern's line is better than ours? Probably not. Arky was pumped up when they played us and had some new schemes they didn't show vs Rice. You probably will not see them play that good again all year.
I think worrying about what this team means for our transition to the SEC is a fools errand. First of all it is possible that no one on this roster right now plays a single SEC game depending on the timing of things

second no we don’t have SEC talent. That’s one of the reasons we are joining the SEC. Texas and OU both are losing some of the elite guys because of the level of play in the big 12 vs the SEC, so our transition to the SEC may have bumps for a year or two but the program will look different than it does today.

Texas fans realize that ARKIE is the bottom feeder of the SEC right ? OLE MISS and MISS ST wipe the floor with ARKIE.

Which teams is TEXAS going to beat ?

ARKANSAS ? NO !!
LSU ? NO !!
ALABAMA ? NO !!
AUBURN ? NO !!
FLORIDA ? NO !!
TENNESSEE ? NO !!
A&M ? NO !!
OKLAHOMA ? NO !!

OLE MISS ? Doubtful....they usually beat ARKIE
MISS ST ? Doubtful...they usually beat ARKIE too

Which ones will TEXAS beat ? VANDY maybe and thats about it folks. Maybe KENTUCKY but KU is way better now and plays ARKIE pretty even. Not sure TEXAS can even beat KENTUCKY !! Geeez !

Chances of TEXAS going 11-1 in the SEC = 0%
Chances of TEXAS ever making it into the CFP from the SEC = 0%
Chances of TEXAS going 4-8 most years in the SEC = 100%

You're dumb.

Reactions: oldhorn2 and clob94
Texas fans realize that ARKIE is the bottom feeder of the SEC right ? OLE MISS and MISS ST wipe the floor with ARKIE.

Which teams is TEXAS going to beat ?

ARKANSAS ? NO !!
LSU ? NO !!
ALABAMA ? NO !!
AUBURN ? NO !!
FLORIDA ? NO !!
TENNESSEE ? NO !!
A&M ? NO !!
OKLAHOMA ? NO !!

OLE MISS ? Doubtful....they usually beat ARKIE
MISS ST ? Doubtful...they usually beat ARKIE too

Which ones will TEXAS beat ? VANDY maybe and thats about it folks. Maybe KENTUCKY but KU is way better now and plays ARKIE pretty even. Not sure TEXAS can even beat KENTUCKY !! Geeez !

Chances of TEXAS going 11-1 in the SEC = 0%
Chances of TEXAS ever making it into the CFP from the SEC = 0%
Chances of TEXAS going 4-8 most years in the SEC = 100%
Are you a TT fan? Assuming you are even if we can only beat one SEC team that will be one more team than TT will beat.

See you on Saturday.

If you look at the guys Sark has pulled in thus far in the 2022 class he is definitely trying to shore that defensive line up. We have 8 4 star defensive lineman committed thus far. The offensive line is what i'm worried about the most honestly. Who knows maybe some of the younger guys can play. I heard Acho say the other night they have re vamped the S&C program trying to focus more on explosiveness. Maybe those guys just need a good year in the weight room.
Well right now there's a 5* ol Devon Campbell who is a TX lean lets hope he signs on the dotted line 12/15/21

Reactions: Drtxhorn
Some guys read the box score and use that to evaluate the oline.
I have access to the all 22 and go back and re watch every game at least once. I figured you were talking about me because I was referring to YPC and sack numbers.

Recruiting the O-Line will change once Texas is solidified in the SEC...meaning that they know WHEN they are going. A kid may not want to come right now thinking they won't play in the SEC. If the announcement is made that Texas will join next year, then let's see how that will affect the recruiting. Trenches guys LOVE the SEC. They are first round picks loaded with SEC linemen. Give this some time. I have no doubt Texas will be beefed up on both sides of the ball.

I have access to the all 22 and go back and re watch every game at least once. I figured you were talking about me because I was referring to YPC and sack numbers.
Oline were talking about our dline. If you watch all 22s, you know that Okafor does not seem to know his blocking assignment half the time, that majors has trouble with handling guys that are 320 plus, and that Jones looked like he was on skates vs arkansas.

Compound that with their penchant for getting holding penalties at the worst possible times and complete and told lack of any form of nastiness, and you have a serious problem.

Where are Hookfin, Johnson, and Ghimari? They can't beat these guys out?

Texas is paying Hand $1.1 million to fix this problem. He can't just make it happen but he dang sure better make that money through the transfer portal and recruiting............

Oline were talking about our dline. If you watch all 22s, you know that Okafor does not seem to know his blocking assignment half the time, that majors has trouble with handling guys that are 320 plus, and that Jones looked like he was on skates vs arkansas.

Compound that with their penchant for getting holding penalties at the worst possible times and complete and told lack of any form of nastiness, and you have a serious problem.

Okafor has been here for 6 years now and still doesn't know his assignments? And my thoughts on Kerstetter are well known on this board. I still have faith in Majors he's only a sophomore. And is Karic injured? But thank goodness Wiley is ready to play now. We finally have a te who can catch a ball behind the chains and convert into a first down.

Reactions: freeper

I agree with the issues of the offensive line. If you have read any of my previous posts I have been begging the coaches to let the younger guys get a shot. Majors is just a freshman though so I can understand his struggles. Okafor and Jones is a different story. Pretty much what you see from them now is what they are going to be.

I didn't expect these issues to be fixed in just one season though. Maybe another offseason in the re vamped S & C program will be just what these younger guys need.

Texas is paying Hand $1.1 million to fix this problem. He can't just make it happen but he dang sure better make that money through the transfer portal and recruiting............
Hand left when Herman got fired. That's old news.

Y'all don't get it. We can not compete in the SEC with the Oline we have right now. Period.
Take a break from the wine coolers. It will be 2 if not 3 years until we play SEC football and the guys have a chance to shore up our deficiencies by then

Hand left when Herman got fired. That's old news.
Thanks for keeping me honest. Flood. I'm still miffed that Hand couldn't bring in the legacy brothers. It was a long day and totally whiffed in my post..............

Thanks for keeping me honest. Flood. I'm still miffed that Hand couldn't bring in the legacy brothers. It was a long day and totally whiffed in my post..............
It's all good. Hopefully Flood can fix our troubles on the offensive line. It's going to take a little time though. Hand was a complete disaster in his time here.

Reactions: EWNHorn
I may be reaching, but it is possible that we improve each game with our existing OL. After all, our guys are as big or bigger as any other OL and Flood has a good reputation. This is just glass half full thinking, but I am sticking with it. I believe we will have a very good ground game this week and going forward which will give our passing game some life.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT