ADVERTISEMENT

I'll tell you what worries me what if

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
Ruffin McNeil and Bob Diaco bring a dramatic improvement to OK's defense? Obviously not a top10 defense but a top 50 defense?

Let's face it they have an incredible offense. Considering who we were up against I thought our d played great for 3 quarters. But for whatever reason we hit a wall in and only 7 minutes they scored 21 points. Kyler Murray may be an s***head but the boy can ball.

They have 2 weeks to sort this thing out. Ruffin McNeill and Bob Diaco have decent resumes. And RM is a coach perhaps the only coach that Riley himself hired. It appears to me that McNeill and Riley have an excellent working relationship they did some positive things together when they were at East Carolina. And Diaco was a Broyles award finalist. You have to know they have a few decent players. We can speculate all we want my thoughts from what I've seen and heard is s that the players were tuning Mike Stoops out.

I doubt it will happen but KM might surprise us and get with the defensive coaches and ask what can the offense do to help out the d? You know be a leader. One of the biggest problems is time of possession. Joel Klatt was saying in their previous two games the OK d was on the field a total of 82 minutes. We had a decisive edge in top which is what our coaches were trying to do. Now I understand why their d was cramping up and limping off the field that and the weather

Let's face it this year the Big XII is TX, WV, OK, and everyone else. So there's a chance we will play these guys again. If they run the table then they're back in the title game. OK/WV play on the day after Turkey Day at Morgantown a spot in the Big XII title game will be at stake.

My .02 worth

Reactions: dsutton_85
Ruffin McNeil and Bob Diaco bring a dramatic improvement to OK's defense? Obviously not a top10 defense but a top 50 defense?

Let's face it they have an incredible offense. Considering who we were up against I thought our d played great for 3 quarters. But for whatever reason we hit a wall in and only 7 minutes they scored 21 points. Kyler Murray may be an s***head but the boy can ball.

They have 2 weeks to sort this thing out. Ruffin McNeill and Bob Diaco have decent resumes. And RM is a coach perhaps the only coach that Riley himself hired. It appears to me that McNeill and Riley have an excellent working relationship they did some positive things together when they were at East Carolina. And Diaco was a Broyles award finalist. You have to know they have a few decent players. We can speculate all we want my thoughts from what I've seen and heard is s that the players were tuning Mike Stoops out.

I doubt it will happen but KM might surprise us and get with the defensive coaches and ask what can the offense do to help out the d? You know be a leader. One of the biggest problems is time of possession. Joel Klatt was saying in their previous two games the OK d was on the field a total of 82 minutes. We had a decisive edge in top which is what our coaches were trying to do. Now I understand why their d was cramping up and limping off the field that and the weather

Let's face it this year the Big XII is TX, WV, OK, and everyone else. So there's a chance we will play these guys again. If they run the table then they're back in the title game. OK/WV play on the day after Turkey Day at Morgantown a spot in the Big XII title game will be at stake.

My .02 worth

I'm not concerned about blou. I don't think we see them again. i also think you're counting TCU out a little too early. If Cumbie gets a little improvement from Robinson they will be tough to beat. TCU can hang with ou and has a better defense. TCU was a couple plays away from beating an overrated tosu. I honestly thought TCU had it won. Not afraid of WVU.... they can't beat us at home. TTech will be much tougher than WVU especially if we have to play in Lubbock at night. Ever been to Lubbock for a Texas/Tech game? Don't believe me? Ask our resident aggys what they think about playing tech late in the season when they have nothing to play for except ruining Texas post season aspirations.

In my opinion Texas played about as well as they’ve played for the last 2 years imo. OU played nowhere near their best. Turnovers being one. OU has a ton to correct but you are right, if OU gets a 50/50 defense, round No. 2 could be another good one.

Oklahoma is at TCU this weekend and at WVU late. They won't win both, the refs will make sure of it. Letdown watch this weekend. Fatterson has tons of tape on ou and has had a week off to get ready.

Oklahoma is at TCU this weekend and at WVU late. They won't win both, the refs will make sure of it. Letdown watch this weekend. Fatterson has tons of tape on ou and has had a week off to get ready.

OK doesn't play TCU till 10/20 they're off this week. TCU plays TT this week.

It's only midseason and of course a lot can change but so far I'm not impressed by Shawn Robinson at all. TCU lost back to back to a**holeU and TX and they barely beat ISU. Maybe an off week will help them as well. But if it doesn't then I see TCU ending up with a losing record.

OK doesn't play TCU till 10/20 they're off this week. TCU plays TT this week.

It's only midseason and of course a lot can change but so far I'm not impressed by Shawn Robinson at all. TCU lost back to back to a**holeU and TX and they barely beat ISU. Maybe an off week will help them as well. But if it doesn't then I see TCU ending up with a losing record.

You are correct on the schedule. I still don't see ou winning @ TCU and @ WVU.

OU didn't beat ISU by much either. We were the low point for TCU this season. I really like Robinson. He is learning just like Sam was last year. He will be good. He has a great attitude and is a quality person as much as K Murray is not.

Reactions: Metcalf #2

OU didn't beat ISU by much either. We were the low point for TCU this season. I really like Robinson. He is learning just like Sam was last year. He will be good. He has a great attitude and is a quality person as much as K Murray is not.
Riley against Patterson is a gimme and proven twice decidedly last year. OU will be ready imo

Agreed, Robinson seems like a real good kid. No trash talk, good sport, and respectful. Did you guys see when he ran into the Texas sideline and knocked some guy on the Texas staff down? He stopped in the middle of all those Horns and helped the guy up. That speaks volumes. I'm pulling for that kid.

Neither game was in Ft Worth. Amiright? Can't deny the big 12 ref home cookin.
The second game was a neutral site. TCU should have been more than prepared since OU already rat-a-tat-tatted that ass earlier in the year but TCU got spanked just as bad the 2nd time. No home cookin' there just a straight up ass whippin', twice. Riley has had Patterson's number and I expect that to continue in 2 weeks.

Or this coaching change could have an opposite effect and could destroy OK's season. We'll have to wait and see.

The second game was a neutral site. TCU should have been more than prepared since OU already rat-a-tat-tatted that ass earlier in the year but TCU got spanked just as bad the 2nd time. No home cookin' there just a straight up ass whippin', twice. Riley has had Patterson's number and I expect that to continue in 2 weeks.

Ok, well we'll see. Texas having OU down by 3 scores is what mattered. We let you back in the game. Don't expect that again.

Last edited:
Ok, well we'll see. Texas having OU down by 3 scores is what mattered. We let you back in the game. Don't expect that again.

Exactly. We finally started stopping ourselves, since they couldn't, is the only reason they got back in it. Otherwise the final score is more like 59-31.

Riley against Patterson is a gimme and proven twice decidedly last year. OU will be ready imo

Not so fast Belldozer. Last year OK had a Heisman winner at qb. And as far as TCU is concerned with everything that has happened in the last 72 hours in Norman I have no idea who will win that game.

Not so fast Belldozer. Last year OK had a Heisman winner at qb. And as far as TCU is concerned with everything that has happened in the last 72 hours in Norman I have no idea who will win that game.
At the time OU spanked TCU last year they did not have a Heisman winner at .qb. Murray’s number are as good if not better than Mayfields were. OU wins, Patterson cries again. You’re acting as if we fired Riley with your “everything that’s happened in the last 72 hours” comment. LOL, no we fired the one person holding us back from stopping Opposing offenses from scoring every drive.

Last edited:
At the time OU spanked TCU last year they did not have a Heisman winner at .qb. Murray’s number are as good if not better than Mayfields were. OU wins, Patterson cries again. You’re acting as if we fired Riley with your “everything that’s happened in the last 72 hours” comment. LOL, no we fired the one person holding us back from stopping Opposing offenses from scoring every drive.

Oh man, that moment before fans realize it was not all the DC's fault, but that Texas Tech head coach and his tortilla tossin' system he brought with him.

Oh man, that moment before fans realize it was not all the DC's fault, but that Texas Tech head coach and his tortilla tossin' system he brought with him.
Metcalf we’ve been having this problem before Riley even arrived on the scene. It took Riley to start to admit there was an issue and hopefully attempt to start fixing it. Bob Stoops didn’t think there was a problem

ha! that dude said ruffin mcneal inprove a defense, with a straight face.
Trust me, he’s not my first choice and I’ve mentioned several times on here in the past that I feared this exact scenario would come to pass but as crappy as our D looks , I’m totally convinced that McNeil can do as good and hopefully better that what we’ve had. He’s been preaching fundamentals, tackling so we’ll see

Metcalf we’ve been having this problem before Riley even arrived on the scene. It took Riley to start to admit there was an issue and hopefully attempt to start fixing it. Bob Stoops didn’t think there was a problem

How long has Riley been at OU running that Red Raider offense? Defenses just struggle when offenses don't use any clock. Of course there may be exceptions, but that's the rule.

Hell just look at us under Strong. Fast offense, no defense to be found. All of a sudden, in comes Herman, determined to use clock even at the expense of the offense, and magically our defense dramatically improves almost immediately.

I believe the best thing that could happen to OU long term is Riley going to the Dallas Cowboys. As long he's there, you're basically sand aggy with better athletes, and I don't believe that's where you want to be.

Reactions: LonghornMM
How long has Riley been at OU running that Red Raider offense? Defenses just struggle when offenses don't use any clock. Of course there may be exceptions, but that's the rule.

Hell just look at us under Strong. Fast offense, no defense to be found. All of a sudden, in comes Herman, determined to use clock even at the expense of the offense, and magically our defense dramatically improves almost immediately.

I believe the best thing that could happen to OU long term is Riley going to the Dallas Cowboys. As long he's there, you're basically sand aggy with better athletes, and I don't believe that's where you want to be.
Let's be honest about one thing, Sand Aggie with better athletes is pretty darn scary. IF, and thats a big IF, they slowed down offensively even just a touch to get that defense some air. It could be scary to watch. But they way they are playing 7on7 offensively definitely hurts their defense.

Let's be honest about one thing, Sand Aggie with better athletes is pretty darn scary. IF, and thats a big IF, they slowed down offensively even just a touch to get that defense some air. It could be scary to watch. But they way they are playing 7on7 offensively definitely hurts their defense.

Oh yeah it's definitely scary, but it's most likely gonna cost them. At least once a year, you're gonna slip up and let somebody score more than you. It's happened last year against Georgia, and now already this year. When you're a team that wants to go undefeated and play for championships, this system is mighty risky.

Reactions: ASURAM2010

Without looking, I would venture to say we run the ball more than Tech. Riley is no doubt trying to win with offense because we have no defense. Look at Georgia game last year, we could have held the ball for 29 minutes of the first half but do you think our Defense would have stopped them scoring when they had the ball? No. Our D wasn't tired they just don't tackle and got run over. I guarantee fundamentals and bad tackling account for a ton of our defensive woes. Nobody is predicting we're going to be the 85' Bears from here on out but if McNeil can get these players to tackle better first off and then work on other technique and personnel moves, then at worst I see this as a lateral move with a ton of room to go up.

Last edited:
Without looking, I would venture to say we run the ball more than Tech. Riley is no doubt trying to win with offense because we have no defense. Look at Georgia game last year, we could have held the ball for 29 minutes of the first half but do you think our Defense would have stopped them scoring when they had the ball? No. Our D wasn't tired they just don't tackle and got run over. I guarantee fundamentals and bad tackling account for a ton of our defensive woes. Nobody is predicting we're going to be the 85' Bears from here on out but if McNeil can get these players to tackle better first off and then work on other technique and personnel moves, then at worst I see this as a lateral move with a ton of room to go up.

You can he's running that offense because he has no defense, I can say that offense is reason for no defense. Who knows? All I know is that most teams that run an offense like that struggle with defense. It's something to think about.

Say what you want, but the staff bag'o d!cks showed up in Norman with in 1999 was pretty salty. Yes, it was filled with pirates, fat men and little brothers.... but I give them credit....

The offense was Steve Spurrier's with a twist. The fun and gun.... that could run.

You can he's running that offense because he has no defense, I can say that offense is reason for no defense. Who knows? All I know is that most teams that run an offense like that struggle with defense. It's something to think about.
All I'm saying is that there is no way I accept our D players were tired in the first half of the RRS. They actually played somewhat better in the 2nd half. Did they take a nap at halftime? I think that whole D getting tired is a worn out excuse for not having one. These idiots train all year to not get tired, no way they are exhausted after 2 series. Especially considering they go against our offense every day. So playing a team like Georgia should be like a day off for them right? Weak players and weak scheme etc.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
All I'm saying is that there is no way I accept our D players were tired in the first half of the RRS. They actually played somewhat better in the 2nd half. Did they take a nap at halftime? I think that whole D getting tired is a worn out excuse for not having one. These idiots train all year to not get tired, no way they are exhausted after 2 series. Weak players and weak scheme etc.

I don't think they played any better in the second. We stopped two drives on our own with holding penalties, and went conservative. Don't let that fool you into thinking the OU defense stepped up. They didn't stop us all day.

I don't think they played any better in the second. We stopped two drives on our own with holding penalties, and went conservative. Don't let that fool you into thinking the OU defense stepped up. They didn't stop us all day.
You just proved my whole point.

ADVERTISEMENT