Instant Analysis: Celebrate a good night and move on in the morning...

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Groggy-Dog.jpg

Ultimately, it was a pretty good night for the No.1 ranked team in the country.

Arch Manning was able to put some money into the 2025 piggy bank without causing any hysteria. Jaydon Blue re-established himself as the no-doubt-about-it starting running back as conference play is set to begin. The defense made a bunch of big plays and kept the opponent out of the end zone.It doesn't seem like anyone was seriously injured (knock on wood for Deandre Moore).

The Horns covered.

There's nothing wrong with thrashing an opponent and simply moving on without there needing to be an ESPN 30 for 30 in the aftermath.

Texas is better for having played the game going into week 5 next week.

(Other thoughts on tonight's game)

* Arch Manning was fine. Not great. Not bad. Just fine. He'll learn from tonight and lessons will be learned without any hard occurring.

* Arch freaking loves throwing the ball down the field. He'd do it on every play if he could.

* I loved seeing Quinn Ewers lead the team from the sideline.

* I sure didn't think Jaydon Blue was going to get 25 carries in this game coming into tonight, but in truth, he needed the work. Getting his first 100-yard game of the season is a box that needed to be checked. Watch out, SEC. This kid is about to post some pretty huge numbers if he stays healthy.

* The Texas linebacker group as a whole was fan-freaking-tastic tonight. Anthony Hill, Leona Lefau and David Gbenda combined for 12 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss 2 sacks and an interception on the night.

* The Texas defense was determined to get that safety once they came on the field with the ball on the La-Monroe 2-yard line and I think the La-Monroe offensive line knew it.

* Man, these Texas cornerbacks don't give up anything in coverage.

* First-Half Targets (Wide receivers/tight ends)

Matthew Golden: 3
Silas Biolden: 2
Isaiah Bond: 2
Juan Davis: 2
Ryan Wingo: 2
Gunnar Helm: 1
Deandre Moore: 1

* The horse-collar tackle on Gunnar Helm is one of the first I've seen in a long time. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt on the play

* Anthony Hill having his pick-six taken off the board because of a penalty that occurred at the one-yard line felt completely unjust.

* None of the Booty playing quarterbacks have ever truly been any good at this level.

* Love seeing the Texas defense force a three and out with a sack on third down after a sudden change.

* Not sure how I feel about Anthony Hill's sack dance...

* Michael Taaffe was great tonight.

* Colin Simmons had a quiet night. I wasn't sure that was possible!

* Arch with a mistake on the opening drive interception that you would expect a player making his first career to make. This is what comes with in experience.

* Attaboy, Ryan Niblett. Two celebrations for the price of one!

* lulz

* OU is very, very, very beatable.

* This was really Colt McCoy's first game back in Austin since he stopped playing? Has he never been able to catch a game during a bye week? That's wild.

Last edited:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.