ADVERTISEMENT

Is Bama always this slow?

HornsRuleU

Dec 5, 2005
Texas
It seems like Alabama is usually dominating the football recruiting. Are they doing something different this time? Only 2 recruits, and 4 stars. They're ranked #66 in team rankings by 247sports. (Ranked #62 by rivals, which I mention only since OB is on rivals.)

Secret commits? What's going on, here?

Someone enlighten me.

No, but they'll get theirs. I don't follow recruiting as close as I used to but Alabama reigned supreme for a long time as the top dog in national recruiting. Now OSU has claimed that title, and Bama is likely still adjusting. Also I think some SEC schools just got out to really fast starts but the long game still favors Bama if any of those recruits are on Bama's board.

Reactions: JMGIIIHORN75
Alabama will land a top 3 class like they always do. They don't recruit. They select. Texas will get back to that status when the Horns start winning again.

Reactions: Bruce Baker
No, but they'll get theirs. I don't follow recruiting as close as I used to but Alabama reigned supreme for a long time as the top dog in national recruiting. Now OSU has claimed that title, and Bama is likely still adjusting. Also I think some SEC schools just got out to really fast starts but the long game still favors Bama if any of those recruits are on Bama's board.

OSU most certainly has not overtaken Saban in recruiting. Not even close. Not only did Saban have the number 1 class in the nation last year it might have been the best class ever signed in the internet era. OSU has not finished ranked higher than Bama even one time since Saban showed up.

Saban has finished #1 in recruiting almost every single year since he showed up at Bama, literally. SEVEN straight years with the composite #1 class. And on Rivals.com going back to 2008 Saban's first class at Bama, he has finished #1 every single year since, except 2010 (#5), and 2015 (#2 to USC). 8 out of the last 10 years with the number one class on Rivals.

OSU most certainly has not overtaken Saban in recruiting. Not even close. Not only did Saban have the number 1 class in the nation last year it might have been the best class ever signed in the internet era. OSU has not finished ranked higher than Bama even one time since Saban showed up.

Saban has finished #1 in recruiting almost every single year since he showed up at Bama, literally. SEVEN straight years with the composite #1 class. And on Rivals.com going back to 2008 Saban's first class at Bama, he has finished #1 every single year since, except 2010 (#5), and 2015 (#2 to USC). 8 out of the last 10 years with the number one class on Rivals.

Rivals is a joke, I would use the composite on 247. But I was wrong regardless and you are right it's still bama as top dog. But they aren't alone any more as it used to be Bama and then a large delta for 2nd place, and now it's Bama and OSU then a large delta.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
They have been filling up later & later due to the high profile kids they are landing. Most of them want to be wined & dined by their "finalist list" then have the whole media fiasco the last possible moment to announce live with a hat dance.

Following the big show 35% won't finish the 1st year, 20% get a drug possession charge, 10% assault charges, 25% never see the field, 10% nfl bound.

Yes, I completely made all that up.

OSU's 2017 class is arguably better than Bama as they signed a smaller class 21 to bama's 29, but finished relatively close in the final points. That means OSU average was higher than bamas, but you could make an argument for either both epic classes.

As to the OP it's an anomaly. Something to watch but I imagine come signing day they'll have their guys.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
They have been filling up later & later due to the high profile kids they are landing. Most of them want to be wined & dined by their "finalist list" then have the whole media fiasco the last possible moment to announce live with a hat dance.

Following the big show 35% won't finish the 1st year, 20% get a drug possession charge, 10% assault charges, 25% never see the field, 10% nfl bound.

Yes, I completely made all that up.
Username checks out.

I think losing Kiffen is going to hurt 'bama a lot more than most people think.

Most people that follow football could tell there was a real love/hate relationship between Saban and LK.

When Saban put Sark in charge and let LK go, his ego got in the way of a National Championship. I believe it was Saban's game plan and it was designed to send a message to LK.

I'm not saying 'bama can't get recruits anymore, but the recruits understand what went down and it will make 'bamas recruiting a little more difficult.

I think losing Kiffen is going to hurt 'bama a lot more than most people think.

Most people that follow football could tell there was a real love/hate relationship between Saban and LK.

When Saban put Sark in charge and let LK go, his ego got in the way of a National Championship. I believe it was Saban's game plan and it was designed to send a message to LK.

I'm not saying 'bama can't get recruits anymore, but the recruits understand what went down and it will make 'bamas recruiting a little more difficult.
Losing or shall I say giving LK the boot, should hurt anyone's recruiting a bit. Mostly because he's a dirty rotten cheating under the table false promising snake oil selling SOB. No sources cited.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Losing or shall I say giving LK the boot, should hurt anyone's recruiting a bit. Mostly because he's a dirty rotten cheating under the table false promising snake oil selling SOB. No sources cited.

Don't disagree, but I think 'bama wins if LK calls the game.

Recruiting is easier if you win the National Championship.

Maybe recruits feel Saban at his age wins one more National Championship and he retires and will not be around four or five years.

I think Saban wins another Championship, but if he runs the same offense he did against Clemson it will be harder to recruit.

Saban will be able to get the big time linemen and the good RB, but Clemson's o'line & d'line could play with 'bama, the difference in the game was the QB and that bad ass receiver Clemson had.

Take a look at the OSU 2018 class and take a look at the avg rating per player..several more 5 stars coming in soon this will finish as the number 1 class
and greatest class in OSU history you can book it.

It seems like Alabama is usually dominating the football recruiting. Are they doing something different this time? Only 2 recruits, and 4 stars. They're ranked #66 in team rankings by 247sports. (Ranked #62 by rivals, which I mention only since OB is on rivals.)

Secret commits? What's going on, here?

Someone enlighten me.
Maybe it's because of Herman and he's going to force Saban into retirement too?

Maybe it's because of Herman and he's going to force Saban into retirement too?

Bell you must be bi-polar...sometimes you can be thick as a slab....and others(like that quote above) you can be very insightful.Excellent observation on your part.

Reactions: learnsome

Wrong ! I use the 247 Sports composite - it's simply the best one out there as it combines and averages all 4 major recruiting services and their individual biases. If you look at the 2017 rankings, yes, Alabama won the title over OSU but strictly due to numbers that were taken: 29 to 21. OSU's 2017 class actually had the highest 247 composite average/recruit in history.

If you now look at OSU's 2018 class, well, it could/should end up being the best in CF history. They currently have 10 top 100 kids (out of their 14 commits) and are projected to have 16 to 18 top 100 kids when all is said and done with the 2018 class. LET THAT SINK IN. Some recruiting analysts are pointing to Urban's 2017 and 2018 classes as being the 2 best back-to-back classes in CF history. He's had some great talent in his first 5 years in Columbus, but nothing like what he's starting to bring in with his most recent classes. He's at the point where OSU can truly state that they just reload every year - especially going forward. Don't know if they could say that in the past as even last year they missed some of those NFL high draft picks.

This is not to take anything away from Alabama as they've been at the top of the recruiting world for awhile now. But to say it's not close is absurd. OSU is here to stay when it comes to landing at the top - or very close to it - of the recruiting rankings.

you make a good point. Meyer could start at tOSU with a pedigree that few if any new coaches in history

could ever match. Couple that with a storied program that was just somewhat down and add in the first season there....undefeated. Stir all that up and you have an absolutely perfect storm going forward.

What does that mean for us? Well....we have a chance to become that if we win big right from the start.However, the only way to match that pedigree is to....well...match it. Sort of reminds me of that old Chinese curse.....may you live in interesting times.

Wrong ! I use the 247 Sports composite - it's simply the best one out there as it combines and averages all 4 major recruiting services and their individual biases. If you look at the 2017 rankings, yes, Alabama won the title over OSU but strictly due to numbers that were taken: 29 to 21. OSU's 2017 class actually had the highest 247 composite average/recruit in history.

If you now look at OSU's 2018 class, well, it could/should end up being the best in CF history. They currently have 10 top 100 kids (out of their 14 commits) and are projected to have 16 to 18 top 100 kids when all is said and done with the 2018 class. LET THAT SINK IN. Some recruiting analysts are pointing to Urban's 2017 and 2018 classes as being the 2 best back-to-back classes in CF history. He's had some great talent in his first 5 years in Columbus, but nothing like what he's starting to bring in with his most recent classes. He's at the point where OSU can truly state that they just reload every year - especially going forward. Don't know if they could say that in the past as even last year they missed some of those NFL high draft picks.

This is not to take anything away from Alabama as they've been at the top of the recruiting world for awhile now. But to say it's not close is absurd. OSU is here to stay when it comes to landing at the top - or very close to it - of the recruiting rankings.

I agree, but disagree. Yes, OSU is "here to stay" as long as Meyer is the coach. However, when he and Saban leave, things will change. They always do. Nothing is guaranteed or a sure thing. OSU and Bama will fall off of their perch at some point.

I agree, but disagree. Yes, OSU is "here to stay" as long as Meyer is the coach. However, when he and Saban leave, things will change. They always do. Nothing is guaranteed or a sure thing. OSU and Bama will fall off of their perch at some point.

Agree, no argument here ! You're saying what I've been saying for years: it all boils down to the coach and his staff. Although, even after both Saban and Meyer leave, I still look for both of those schools to compete for championships - just not at the level they're at now. I guess you could say that for just about any of the "blueblood" schools.....OSU, Bama, Texas, USC, Oklahoma.....I could name a few more but a select few will always be in the thick of the championship talk no matter who the coach is (for the most part).

In reality, the top/sick recruiting classes - like Bama, OSU, FSU - really don't guarantee championships. Proof: Alabama has won only 1 out of the last 4 NCs yet won 7 straight
recruiting titles in a row. IMHO, all those super classes only guarantee that the school will be one of the final handful of schools competing at the end for the championship. No team is exempt from a stinker/clunker game and that's all it takes.

He has hired Kendall Briles as his offensive coordinator. Women of Florida beware!

OSU had a great class last year. But Saban was #1 again and has been for 7 straight years and that IS composite rankings. Saban's class last year had more 5 stars and more 4 stars than OSU's as well. OSU's avr. ranking was barely higher due to Alabama having a couple three stars and a very very low ranked long snapper in addition to a low ranked kicker.

Yes, OSU may end up with the #1 rated class this year, we'll have to wait and see. But if so it would be the first time, and the first time even finishing ahead of Saban one time since he showed up at Bama. So, until then Saban's still #1...and will be until it happens more than once.

OSU had a great class last year. But Saban was #1 again and has been for 7 straight years and that IS composite rankings. Saban's class last year had more 5 stars and more 4 stars than OSU's as well. OSU's avr. ranking was barely higher due to Alabama having a couple three stars and a very very low ranked long snapper in addition to a low ranked kicker.

Yes, OSU may end up with the #1 rated class this year, we'll have to wait and see. But if so it would be the first time, and the first time even finishing ahead of Saban one time since he showed up at Bama. So, until then Saban's still #1...and will be until it happens more than once.

Keep in mind, that when you can constantly sign 27 to 30 year after year, like Alabama and many SEC teams, you have the distinct luxury of covering up some of the lower ranked (3 stars) in the final point totals whereas some of the smaller classes/schools don't have that luxury and have to turn away some high ranked recruits. Again, yes, Alabama has been the recruiting king - no doubt - but it doesn't look like they're in on as many top players this year as they have been in the past. No doubt, they'll finish in the top 5 but I have a feeling that OSU, USC, and Texas could all possibly finish ahead of them in 2018.

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
Ou star rating not so impressive, in a little over two weeks you'll be behind Texas and outside the top 10

Ou star rating not so impressive, in a little over two weeks you'll be behind Texas and outside the top 10
Hmmmm...not the feeling I get talking with some of the guys who follow recruiting pretty hard. They're of the belief we're getting ready to sky rocket. We could possibly fall behind Texas as I can see you guys skyrocketing once you start picking up more commitments (you guys are only at 11 while we're at 14). But we just received a commitment from the #4 QB for 2019, so I think most of the concerns about replacing Stoops costing us recruits/momentum has passed. We're still in on several big time recruits. I think we jump up more than we fall back.

We'll just have to see how it turns out.

Hmmmm...not the feeling I get talking with some of the guys who follow recruiting pretty hard. They're of the belief we're getting ready to sky rocket. We could possibly fall behind Texas as I can see you guys skyrocketing once you start picking up more commitments (you guys are only at 11 while we're at 14). But we just received a commitment from the #4 QB for 2019, so I think most of the concerns about replacing Stoops costing us recruits/momentum has passed. We're still in on several big time recruits. I think we jump up more than we fall back.

We'll just have to see how it turns out.

Both teams will have really solid recruiting classes. It is silly to really dig into the rankings at this point given how early it is. Really, the only ranking that matters is the final one. The important thing is that both school are off to a good start and have already had plenty of talented players sign on, most of those guys will stay committed.

Texas has limited spots this year and that will probably be the only thing holding us back rankings wise. Looking at the top talent we are still likely to add, our avg star rating ranking will probably be higher than our overall ranking. And it will probably be higher than OUs avg star ranking.

Both teams will have really solid recruiting classes. It is silly to really dig into the rankings at this point given how early it is. Really, the only ranking that matters is the final one. The important thing is that both school are off to a good start and have already had plenty of talented players sign on, most of those guys will stay committed.
Bwilk, I agree. That's why I said we'll just have to wait and see. You never know who a surprise signee might be, or who seems solid but might flip to someone else down the road.

Both OU and tx have the same number of 5 star and 4 star commits. You have some inside knowledge or something? You must have inside knowledge on both texas and Ou recruiting to know that. Well and some inside knowlege on other teams too, since you know they'll be ahead of OU who will somehow drop out of the to p10. Ou is about to flip proctor and are in real good with trout and redmond, woodbey and perkins. Surely anything can happen and Ou has a big recruiting event coming up in july and that can flip get things going too as momentum has been building ever since the Riley promotion. Looks like the infusion of youth has really been a boon for recruiting for both programs. We all know OU will be good next season, part of recruiting is not losing commits during the season, so tx has to actually have a decent season to keep that going. Lucky for you, and not so lucky for the rest of the big 12 it doesnt take much for tx to get the recruiting train rolling, most of these kids grew up texas fans in spite of their complete lack of success at football for the last half a dozen years. Gonna be scary once they put together a couple good seasons

Reactions: oldhorn2
ADVERTISEMENT