ADVERTISEMENT

Is Chris Ash the right guy for Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevo1979

Feb 26, 2007
Is Chris Ash the right guy to fix our defensive issues? I don't know much about him and his coaching techniques. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of his coaching techniques? From the articles I read about Chris Ash he is a defensive back coach. Can anyone shed some light on why so many people are high on Chris Ash being named our defensive coordinator?

Is Chris Ash the right guy to fix our defensive issues? I don't know much about him and his coaching techniques. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of his coaching techniques? From the articles I read about Chris Ash he is a defensive back coach. Can anyone shed some light on why so many people are high on Chris Ash being named our defensive coordinator?
When he was the co-DC at Ohio St, they produced one of the top defenses in all of football for multiple years. They put out a ton of top end NFL talent, especially at the DB position, apparently runs a multiple type scheme in that he can use talent multiple ways to get them in the best position for success. Also, based on the kids they signed at OSU, was a pretty good recruiter and developer of talent.

Reactions: horn4life11
I don’t know. His record at Rutgers speaks volumes to me. Look at how many 20 plus point blowout losses they had under his watch. He was there 3 years and went through 3 offensive coordinators. I would think Texas needs someone with some stability, I’m not really seeing it but could be wrong?

Last edited:
Nope! Ash isn't the one! Thats like bringing in someone from Pop Warner and let him coach a College team..

Everybody oughta stop this Ohio State shit as thats long gone and that was then and here we are at now. what can you do for me today?Maybe OHS will give him his job back after we fire him....

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with Ash's resume as a DC. People just don't like the thought of Herman hiring another one of his buddies.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Alabama’s OL Coach was the HC at Rutgers before Ash. He was fired. Using Rutgers as a gauge isn’t wise.

As a DC he was good at Wisconsin. Only at Ark 1 year. Did very well at tOSU. He’s as qualified a candidate as there is out there.
Wasn’t he a co-dc at OSU? Wisconsin is nothing like the Big 12 offenses. Looks like another buddy hire.ash may be a good position coach but I haven’t seen enough of him as a sole DC to know one way or the other

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Didn't you guys hire a co-DC from Ohio State...???
We did but he had verifiable success at Wash St. whose offense is much like Big 12 offenses. Ash can’t claim that. I’m not trying to prevent UT from throwing good money after bad just pointing out the obvious.

Nope! Ash isn't the one! Thats like bringing in someone from Pop Warner and let him coach a College team..

Everybody oughta stop this Ohio State shit as thats long gone and that was then and here we are at now. what can you do for me today?Maybe OHS will give him his job back after we fire him....
That’s a pretty dumb analogy comparing him to a pop warner coach. What he did at Rutgers is not a reflection of what kind of coach he is. Many great coordinators take head coaching jobs and fail. Just because they aren’t fit to be a head coach does not mean they can’t coach. Some guys are just better coordinators. It happens at the NFL level all the time.
With that being said I’m not really sure on Ash. I do know he is a lot better coach than you are making him out to be FBH.

Robinson was a great DC at Texas IMO. That got him the job as head coach at Syracuse, but he failed there. A fine example of the Peter Principal.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Not sure why his time as HC at Rutgers is an indictment on his ability to be a DC. Boom was a great DC in the SEC, as well as at Texas. His HC record in the SEC doesn’t reflect that. Neither does Chizick’s or Robinson’s. Or Pruitt’s. Being a HC is much more difficult than being in charge of one unit.

Not sure why his time as HC at Rutgers is an indictment on his ability to be a DC. Boom was a great DC in the SEC, as well as at Texas. His HC record in the SEC doesn’t reflect that. Neither does Chizick’s or Robinson’s. Or Pruitt’s. Being a HC is much more difficult than being in charge of one unit.
I don’t think Ash is anywhere near accomplished as a DC as Chizik and mushchamp were. Seems like ash was more of a position coach. 1 year and Arkansas and 1 year at Wisconsin as sole DC wouldn’t make me feel very warm and fuzzy as a fan that you’re getting an accomplished DC

I don’t think Ash is anywhere near accomplished as a DC as Chizik and mushchamp were. Seems like ash was more of a position coach. 1 year and Arkansas and 1 year at Wisconsin as sole DC wouldn’t make me feel very warm and fuzzy as a fan that you’re getting an accomplished DC
Actually Urban Meyer brought him in 2014 and they adopted his defensive scheme. He was a huge part in that defense helping OSU win the national championship. You are obviously using google to make a judgement about the guy. He is a great defensive mind and his head coaching record is indicative in his abilities as a coach.

Ohio State gave Ash more of an endorsement than Herman. The two only coached one year together so I wouldn’t say this is a comfort hire.

Reactions: Seminole1981
He was the DC at Wisconsin for 2 years and Co DC at Ohio State for 2 years. He was the architect and play caller for both defenses and their defense was ranked in the Top 15 all 4 years.

In addition, the basic tenants of his defense are sound regardless of what types of offense the opposition is running.

Reactions: Hoookem722
We did but he had verifiable success at Wash St. whose offense is much like Big 12 offenses. Ash can’t claim that. I’m not trying to prevent UT from throwing good money after bad just pointing out the obvious.

Sigh...

There is so much wrong with your position here. I barely have the energy to refute your ignorance, but I'm a glutton for idiotic debate so here we go...

From 2010-2016 Washington State was ranked 7-10 in any given year in the Pac 12 defensively. They were middle of the road before Grinch and after. The year that Wazzu was #2 (Grinch's 3rd year) the Pac 12 was really down. Their best team was a 3 loss USC. They were rated the 5th best conference, or last of the Power 5. However, Arizona who had the best O in the conference that year, put up 585 yards and 58 points.

So what "verifiable" success did Grinch have?

Just need someone with a good proven track record. well it rewally don't make a diff as he will be a 1 year coach

Actually Urban Meyer brought him in 2014 and they adopted his defensive scheme. He was a huge part in that defense helping OSU win the national championship. You are obviously using google to make a judgement about the guy. He is a great defensive mind and his head coaching record is indicative in his abilities as a coach.
Well if you insinuating that I was not in team meetings and don’t have insider info on him then you would be correct. I guess you’re just in the know regarding his resume:rolleyes:. He may be a great defensive mind but his head coaching record would in no way be indicative of that. Perhaps you should give google a go, his head coaching records sucks.

Well if you insinuating that I was not in team meetings and don’t have insider info on him then you would be correct. I guess you’re just in the know regarding his resume:rolleyes:. He may be a great defensive mind but his head coaching record would in no way be indicative of that. Perhaps you should give google a go, his head coaching records sucks.

Irrelevant

Just need someone with a good proven track record. well it rewally don't make a diff as he will be a 1 year coach
That is possible, but not likely. This team is set up well for success next season. A ton of talented players will be back on defense, as well as on offense. I would anticipate a Big XII championship appearance, at minimum. That, along with the fact that I believe they will give Tom a minimum of two years to right the ship with his new staff.

some of you guys think no coach that we hire should have ever had a losing season, even if it wasn't in the same capacity as the position we're hiring. they should never have coached a bad game, they should have multiple national championships. i'm so happy for you guys that all your women have perfect tits and asses, and your wallets won't fold because you have too many 20s in there. now, call coach saban and see if he'll come be our DC.

some of you guys think no coach that we hire should have ever had a losing season, even if it wasn't in the same capacity as the position we're hiring. they should never have coached a bad game, they should have multiple national championships. i'm so happy for you guys that all your women have perfect tits and asses, and your wallets won't fold because you have too many 20s in there. now, call coach saban and see if he'll come be our DC.

I doubt Saban would come here just to be DC...

Meh, Saban let Auburn score 48 on them. That is unacceptable.

Reactions: ElDiabloTejano
My point is that Texas has plenty of money which should afford them the opportunity to get the biggest and best, to me Ash seems like a 2nd rate choice imo. Seems like Texas should have their pick of the litter

Looks like Ash might hold out until Urban makes a decision on his next coaching gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT