ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the First Shoe to Drop?

diadevic

May 4, 2006
Stanford dropping 11 sports.

https://abc7news.com/sports/stanfor...discontinue 11 of,as part of this realignment.

Ivy League cancels football for fall.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ll-reevaluate-playing-sports-in-january-2021/

Are we getting primed for no football this fall? And then the fallout from schools missing the football revenue stream? Ivy League was the first to cancel its BBall tournament. Yes they don't matter, but they have all the "smart guys" that the Big 10 and Pac 12 administrators aspire to join. My personal odds just changed from 95% certainty we will have a full season of CFP to 50/50. Once one starts the push, the dominoes will fall. Bowlsby - be a leader!!!

After the latest "surge" in covid cases, once the public sees that the overall death count also did not surge, then we will have a better overall picture. Another 7 days will help in deciding where we are in Texas. I think the Ivy league is not a barometer we would use. I agree it is 50/50 now but in 7 days I am hoping it is more like 80/20 we have CFB.

Stanford dropping 11 sports.

https://abc7news.com/sports/stanford-university-says-it-will-cut-11-of-its-varsity-sports-programs/6307206/#:~:text=Stanford will discontinue 11 of,as part of this realignment.

Ivy League cancels football for fall.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ll-reevaluate-playing-sports-in-january-2021/

Are we getting primed for no football this fall? And then the fallout from schools missing the football revenue stream? Ivy League was the first to cancel its BBall tournament. Yes they don't matter, but they have all the "smart guys" that the Big 10 and Pac 12 administrators aspire to join. My personal odds just changed from 95% certainty we will have a full season of CFP to 50/50. Once one starts the push, the dominoes will fall. Bowlsby - be a leader!!!
It may in fact start a trend. I think it is wise to cut the fat. Other than wrestling, I am not sure how much of an impact those other sports have to the overall student body. Here is the list from your article that they are cutting.
"men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball, and wrestling"

It may in fact start a trend. I think it is wise to cut the fat. Other than wrestling, I am not sure how much of an impact those other sports have to the overall student body. Here is the list from your article that they are cutting.
"men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball, and wrestling"

Most of these sports you will only find at Ivy League, eastern schools, or elite schools like Stanford.

I think we still have it. The schools in the south depend on the revenue from sports. The revenue is a must.

As far as the damage done to this point, I don't think we have seen the real reality yet. We are going to lose some football programs.

If there is no football there will be a big reduction in the number of Olympic sports programs at colleges. It will be really sad. Everyone should be directing their anger at the chi-coms instead ripping America.

Texas has 16 sports teams, Stanford had 36, they now have 25. I think this is probably the first shoe to drop. Sports that are expensive, and don't have any possibility of generating significant revenue are going to be dropped. I can imagine there are group of 5 schools that will look at the minimum of 6 men's sport and 8 women's sports. Low major schools without football are going to be at minimum of 7 men's and 7 women's sports.

I don't see any Power 5 schools cutting football. Can't take the revenue hit. I can see some group of 5 schools looking at it or possibly sitting out next year. D2- and D3 no way. You are looking at 50-70 tuition paying kids at the D2 level. D3 is non-scholarship and sports are a way for those schools to boost enrollment. I doubt many schools will cut programs. I can see them cutting all non conference games to cut down on travel.

Whether they play or not this year college fb will survive and for that matter so will the NFL. College athletics will survive professional sports will survive.

I don't know when this pandemic will end but it will. And everyone will adjust.

Reactions: freeper
One last thing if the Ivy League has started something.

The Ivy League doesn't need fb
The Ivy League doesn't need bb
The Ivy League has no scholarship athletes.
The Ivy League consists of 8 schools that are croesus rich.

They are not a trend setters in college athletics and they don't try to be

One last thing if the Ivy League has started something.

The Ivy League doesn't need fb
The Ivy League doesn't need bb
The Ivy League has no scholarship athletes.
The Ivy League consists of 8 schools that are croesus rich.

They are not a trend setters in college athletics and they don't try to be
The Ivy League says it has no scholarship athletes. When I was in the honors track in high school, the Brown recruiter told us that he came to Texas to find someone who could pass: but not academically. I worked with an obstetrician whose son played point guard at Penn. He got an academic scholarship. They have underhanded ways to improve their teams.

The Ivy League says it has no scholarship athletes. When I was in the honors track in high school, the Brown recruiter told us that he came to Texas to find someone who could pass: but not academically. I worked with an obstetrician whose son played point guard at Penn. He got an academic scholarship. They have underhanded ways to improve their teams.

Well that's an interesting story. You know that's not against the rules and it sounds like that kid came out ahead. It doesn't get any better than an academic scholarship to an Ivy League school. And he gets to play bb. Here's something that always makes me laugh. The Ivy League guy is always the favorite for the elite job. But in professional sports he's always the underdog. That's why Jeremy Lin was a great story his rookie year. Against all odds the headlines said. And then there's the Wonderlic bullshit. Only one player got a player got a perfect score. He went to Harvard.

After the latest "surge" in covid cases, once the public sees that the overall death count also did not surge, then we will have a better overall picture. Another 7 days will help in deciding where we are in Texas. I think the Ivy league is not a barometer we would use. I agree it is 50/50 now but in 7 days I am hoping it is more like 80/20 we have CFB.

Death is a lagging indicator that shows what the infection rate was 4-6 weeks prior. It will be mid August before Fourth of July spread shows up in fatality rate.

Reactions: outhereincali
If there is no football there will be a big reduction in the number of Olympic sports programs at colleges. It will be really sad. Everyone should be directing their anger at the chi-coms instead ripping America.
Everything after we knew China was lying, back in March, is on American leadership.

Last edited:
Reactions: outhereincali
Death is a lagging indicator that shows what the infection rate was 4-6 weeks prior. It will be mid August before Fourth of July spread shows up in fatality rate.

lagging indicator...…...now that is funny!

Well, UT better not drop Quidditch! Texas was national champions a few years ago! Beat the aggies, I believe.

**Champions 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019

Did I need to spell out fatalities are a lagging indicator of infection rate/virus spread?
Using your math - 4-6 weeks ago was the big reopening at Memorial Day that has been railed upon - and no spike in deaths?

Whether they play or not this year college fb will survive and for that matter so will the NFL. College athletics will survive professional sports will survive.

I don't know when this pandemic will end but it will. And everyone will adjust.

Agree.

Professional sports like NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB should not get ANY federal help. They are not a critical business. They can figure out how to survive this year without overpaying athletes for not playing.
If poor workers cannot earn a living because of the lockdowns, these athletes and sport franchise owners can too.
They have enough to also pay for the workers who would not be able to earn money because of the cancellation of games/seasons.

Time for the players to suck it up and not try to earn millions without working for it.

Reactions: Lampasas
Dallas County reported 1,174 new cases yesterday. And 2 new deaths, both with pre-existing conditions. What do you think was the headline? Dallas County has gone from 9 to 6 to 4 to 2 deaths in the last four days. Is this the lagging indicator from the reopening at Memorial Day/demonstrations?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT