ADVERTISEMENT

itshappening.gif (meme)

easttx903

Sep 16, 2017

Even after a couple of years into Urban Meyer's "retirement,'' he remains one of the most alluring coaching names in college football. And with Tom Herman on the University of Texas hot seat—and with the Longhorns never shy about puffing out their chests at the attractiveness of Austin—it seems like Meyer may find the idea "alluring'' in return.
The buzz, per two sources close to the Longhorns/Meyer situation, is this: Meyer is putting in the work to assemble a "what-if'' staff should he decide to leave his FOX analyst job and re-enter the NCAA grind.
For UT, it would register as one of the greatest "gets'' of its kind; Meyer built an incredible legacy at Ohio State, left the game due to his health concerns, but is still viewed as so relentlessly talented that the Longhorns' return to prominence would be almost inevitable.
Meyer has a masterful talent for building programs, and for pushing the envelope (and even the rules) to achieve that goal. Star players in Texas and beyond would likely realize that and be magnetized to it.
READ MORE: Shouldn't Herman Fight For His Texas Coaching Life?
As we've chronicled above, there is a certain entitlement at Texas that causes supporters of the program to assume that because it spends so much money, and because of its storied history, and because, well, "It's Texas!,'' that national-championship contention is a birthright.
That's now how sports work.

Putting Urban Meyer in charge of all that financing, putting him in charge of the sales pitch of the tradition and the city and the rest ... that's what works.
Meyer's search for a "what-if'' coaching staff would allow him to pluck some of his proteges from Ohio State and elsewhere. It would allow Meyer and that staff to flex its recruiting muscle in one of the most fertile regions in America. And it would do this: Assistant coaches would see being a Meyer assistant at a successful Texas program as their own fast road to success.
And the recruits? As was the case at Ohio State, kids would see being a Meyer Longhorn as a fast road to NFL riches.
It so happens that Herman once traveled that fast road as a Meyer assistant at Ohio State; it's part of the reason he arrived in Austin. But that arrangement hasn't worked to the satisfaction of Longhorns Nation ... and even if it was working OK, Herman is no Meyer.
There's another wrinkle to the Meyer/Herman intersection worth noting: Privately, Herman thinks Meyer has used his catbird seat at FOX to take potshots at Herman's Austin regime. More damning: Privately, Meyer thinks Herman was the "tattletale'' who told damaging truths about the underbelly of the Buckeyes program.
The rumor of Mr. and Mrs. Meyer house-shopping in the vicinity of The Forty Acres? We don't know about that one. But the buzz about Urban Meyer being serious enough about coaching the Longhorns to be kicking it around with prospective assistants? That buzz is real.

The name I'm hearing on the rumor trail is Graham Harrell as his OC. Is Graham Harrell better than Mike Yurcich? I hope he keeps Chris Ash, Stan Drayton, Coleman Hultzer and maybe Hagen. Who do you think he calls for offensive line coach? Is there any other assistant coaches out there that are better than the ones I named?

p
The name I'm hearing on the rumor trail is Graham Harrell as his OC. Is Graham Harrell better than Mike Yurcich? I hope he keeps Chris Ash, Stan Drayton, Coleman Hultzer and maybe Hagen. Who do you think he calls for offensive line coach? Is there any other assistant coaches out there that are better than the ones I named?
graham Harrell would be a huge asset to Urban in the state. And a guy they can groom behind Urban. A la Ryan Day

Please let this come true.

The sooner we can make it happen the better. Maybe we can make one last push for the Brockermeyer twins to get the ball rolling. Then Ewers comes back and on and on and on for the next two decades!

I know I know...all just a dream for now. But certainly not impossible.

Please let this come true.

The sooner we can make it happen the better. Maybe we can make one last push for the Brockermeyer twins to get the ball rolling. Then Ewers comes back and on and on and on for the next two decades!

I know I know...all just a dream for now. But certainly not impossible.
I’m not on the inside of recruiting or anything, but I’d have to think of Urban Meyer is the HC guys like the Brockmeyer’s would have to have some second thoughts.

Brockmeyer's are gone and they will not sign with Texas. They will sign with Alabama. If we have a chance TH would have to be gone by this Sunday and from all the reports and inside sources that's not likely to happen. Looks like TH will coach the rest of the season out and we will miss on the 1st wave of recruiting and will have a chance with the 2nd wave in February. Plus UM would need to have a Oline coach that would pull the Brockmeyer's and that will not be in place. I get UM is a coach all recruits would gravitate to but position coaching will still be essential for a recruit.

Reactions: Cotton #12
Brockmeyer's are gone and they will not sign with Texas. They will sign with Alabama. If we have a chance TH would have to be gone by this Sunday and from all the reports and inside sources that's not likely to happen. Looks like TH will coach the rest of the season out and we will miss on the 1st wave of recruiting and will have a chance with the 2nd wave in February. Plus UM would need to have a Oline coach that would pull the Brockmeyer's and that will not be in place. I get UM is a coach all recruits would gravitate to but position coaching will still be essential for a recruit.
Meh I think most recruits are probably going to trust that Urban is going to put together a big time staff.

Who's the Oline coach and can he recruit?

The last 2 regime's both brought in highly touted Oline coaches and neither did shite. You can attribute a significant portion of our failure over the last decade to the inability to block.

Bevo....nothing against you as there is much similar sentiment being passed around.

My issue with this is that I do not understand why anyone is worried about keeping assistants from a failed staff. Let the new guy get whomever he wants! We are expecting to hire a top notch coach. Does anyone think that guy has not thought of every possibility that has been expressed board?...i.e....we need this coach to keep this guy?...Screw that!. The new coach knows who he wants and which players are worth keeping around. He also knows how to make that happen. Let the process continue....

Coaches like Urban and Saban always have good assistants because they are strong leaders. They coach their coaches and make them better assistants. Not worried who he would hire although it helps for him to get someone who already knows his culture.

Needs to retain Oscar Giles too

I love Giles, but he can be replaced. I'm hearing he will or has reached out the some of the staff at Ohio State, Oregon, and Bama. The Oline coaches at any of those places would be fantastic. Without a doubt, the dline coach at tOSU is the real prize, that dude has produced so many great linemen it's crazy.

Reactions: oldhorn2
giphy.gif

I don't that the assistant coaches under TH have been the problem. It's hard to coach players in an environment where the players do not have consequences for their actions. Based on what I've seen and read, Sterns believes he can say or do whatever he wants.

That will not happen under UM. If we can maintain some continuity in the process, it may make the transition less painful.

ADVERTISEMENT