ADVERTISEMENT

Jameis Winston or Jamarcus Russell?

I'd take Winston all day every day over Russell. Russell never showed poise or accuracy in college. He merely had a big arm to go along with his gut and his love of purple drank.

Not sure Winson is a sure fire guy that will pan out. But he doesn't have bust written all over him like Russell did. That guy won the lotto though by impressing Al Davis. You simply need speed or arm strength and that does the trick for the Raaaaaaidahs.

Biggest concern with Winston is he threw too many pics. You just can't turn the ball over in the NFL and win. But Winston has much better accuracy if he can make the proper reads and stay within the game.

wadster if you could draft either and they came out the same year, who would you take.......Winston or Manziel? both have major character issues

Originally posted by Yankees03:
wadster if you could draft either and they came out the same year, who would you take.......Winston or Manziel? both have major character issues
I know it wasn't addressed to me, but the answer is Winston. Hands down. And its not close.

Yes both have significant red flags off the field. But Winston at least has an arm and a game and some pocket poise that could translate to the next level. Not to mention the size. And Winston won on the biggest stages, you know in a title game. Johnny never met a title game.

And the NFL draftnix agree along with pretty much everyone else. Many had as low as a 6th round grade on Johnny. None will have Winston that low. I don't think he is a 100% clear savior of a team. But he at least has a shot at becoming a franchise QB. Something Jamarcus Russell and Johnny Manziel didn't really have.
I wouldn't sell the farm for Winston ie like Andrew Luck. But it looks like he will go #1 overall to TB. Tenn says they are passing on a QB. So the question becomes how far does Mariotta fall. I have seen rumors he might even slip to the Texans. That would be a surprise. Someone will jump up and take him.

I agree as well jsto, but im not sure id take him hands down. In my personal opinion both will be busts in the NFL. Great great college guys, but they have shown they lack the maturity to basically just shut up and play football. As for Russell, what a waste of $ and draft pick on him.

Originally posted by Yankees03:
I agree as well jsto, but im not sure id take him hands down. In my personal opinion both will be busts in the NFL. Great great college guys, but they have shown they lack the maturity to basically just shut up and play football. As for Russell, what a waste of $ and draft pick on him.
Russell certainly was a waste of a pick. But as far as a waste of $, it actually would be a good example of the trickle down effect. Al Davis' $ trickled down from Jamarcus to many a DJ and purple drank dealer. So I think in the end, they probably spent that cash better than Al would have. So there's the silver lining.

And I stand by it, I'd take Winston hands down over Manziel. Manziels mobile magic and small frame, combined with weak arm and lack of maturity or ability to read a full field have a slim chance of working in NFL. At least Winston has a big arm and some pocket composure and ran an offense that wasn't based on half field reads and then scramble if those two guys aren't open. Like Winston actually has the ability to take a snap from center, among many other strengths when compared to Johnny. Hands down you take Winston over him. And yes, they could both easily be busts in the NFL.

But Winston would be hard pressed to duplicate JFFs year 1 flop followed by a rehab stint. I mean Winston could post better stats in one soso quarter of play in one game compared to what Johnny did for the entire year.

Originally posted by jsto60:
I'd take Winston all day every day over Russell. Russell never showed poise or accuracy in college. He merely had a big arm to go along with his gut and his love of purple drank.

Not sure Winson is a sure fire guy that will pan out. But he doesn't have bust written all over him like Russell did. That guy won the lotto though by impressing Al Davis. You simply need speed or arm strength and that does the trick for the Raaaaaaidahs.
I agree. I think Winston is a pretty good qb. Crappy person but good qb.

Originally posted by jsto60:

Russell certainly was a waste of a pick. But as far as a waste of $, it actually would be a good example of the trickle down effect. Al Davis' $ trickled down from Jamarcus to many a DJ and purple drank dealer. So I think in the end, they probably spent that cash better than Al would have. So there's the silver lining.
Lol, this is actually a pretty damn interesting way to put a silver lining on Russell blowing all those millions. At least he put the money back into the economy.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

what jsto 60 said above......I'd be leery of drafting Winston in the 1st rd but he certainly won't last to rd #2.....some team will take a chance..............

ESPN's Todd McShay says he gave Florida State QB Jameis Winston the second-highest grade he's assigned to a quarterback since 2000.
Behind only Andrew Luck. We also found it interesting that MMQB's Andy Benoit "heard from multiple coaches" in Indianapolis that Winston's football IQ "is on a Peyton Manning level." All of this may sound like hyperbole, but it's reinforcement about Winston's pro prospects. Assuming his off-field incidents are behind him, Winston projects as a plus NFL starter. Feb 23 - 2:32 PM

After attending the Combine, CBS Sports' Dane Brugler "couldn't find one person I trust" inside the league who believes the Bucs will pass on Florida State QB Jameis Winston at No. 1 overall.
In other words, the consensus opinion is Winston will be the Bucs' pick. In terms of on-field skills, Winston checks virtually every box NFL teams seek in a pro-ready pocket passer. He is naturally accurate with a strong arm and can make anticipation throws. Oregon's Marcus Mariota is a better spreadsheet athlete, but Winston is the better quarterback at this stage. Feb 22 - 7:23 PM

ADVERTISEMENT