ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Williams on Longhorn Extra regarding Tourney

westx

Dec 6, 2009
Interesting comments: I don't know if he is right on this but, here is what he said.

- Said that he isn't questioning Barnes's coaching, but, thinks Holmes has been playing out of position all season. He believes that he should play the 4 position because it would create many match up problems for opposing teams. He says that he imagines people around him want him playing the 3 so that he can prove his ability to the NBA.

-He aslo goes on to be very complimentary about this team. He really likes Texas chances.

Disagree about Holmes. Yes he is out of position, but with our depth in the front court it's completely necessary to get the best players on the court.

It does seem as though for most of the season Holmes has bee playing as a perimeter shooter as if he is trying to impress NBA scouts. The problem of course is that until last week he has not been good beyond the arc and we missed his inside presence.

Originally posted by westx:
Interesting comments: I don't know if he is right on this but, here is what he said.

- Said that he isn't questioning Barnes's coaching, but, thinks Holmes has been playing out of position all season. He believes that he should play the 4 position because it would create many match up problems for opposing teams. He says that he imagines people around him want him playing the 3 so that he can prove his ability to the NBA.

-He aslo goes on to be very complimentary about this team. He really likes Texas chances.
I agree with him, and I said that before the season started. There is nothing that Conner brought to the table, that made him a must have on the court. Holmes perimeter game hasn't been a plus for the team, so I can't undertand why we didn't play him at the 4 more often. He would have caused match-up problems, as Williams acknowledged. Against Butler, we could start Ridley, Holmes, Yancy, Holland, and Taylor. We barely use our size to our advantage, so why not. We also need to give Turner, more minutes.
This post was edited on 3/18 2:08 PM by blh111

Originally posted by blh111:

I agree with him, and I said that before the season started. There is nothing that Conner brought to the table, that made him a must have on the court. Holmes perimeter game hasn't been a plus for the team, so I can't undertand why we didn't play him at the 4 more often. He would have caused match-up problems, as Williams acknowledged. Against Butler, we could start Ridley, Holmes, Yancy, Holland, and Taylor. We barely use our size to our advantage, so why not. We also need to give Turner, more minutes.
Do you think Barnes will try it? I didn't know to pay attention to this during the season to see the frequency and effectiveness of Holmes playing the 4, if at all. I am very intrigued and hope to see it. Maybe it would help against the 3 point shooting teams by allowing more minutes for our 3 point shooting Yancy.

Texas usually has good talent but it almost seems like they have not played together enough and are not a team. maybe it is one and done. maybe it's because everyone wants to pad their stats to get drafted.

Originally posted by blh111:

Do you think Barnes will try it? I didn't know to pay attention to this during the season to see the frequency and effectiveness of Holmes playing the 4, if at all. I am very intrigued and hope to see it. Maybe it would help against the 3 point shooting teams by allowing more minutes for our 3 point shooting Yancy.
I like Barnes, but he is a stubborn individual, so I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT