ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt nailed it

Ha, ha, if Strong was such a great coach, he'd still be coaching at S. Florida.

It's your defense. Your offense put up enough numbers to win. Ha, ha, there's a reason Ash was fired from his HC gig at Rutgers.

Ha, ha, ensures the B12 stays intact. No conference will want Texas or OK after this year.

It's also that there's been a leveling of the field in college FB, unless you're recruiting top 5 talent (eg Ala., Ohio St., Clemson). Texas recruiting has been good but not at that level. Still, with all those 5* and 4* talent on the team ...

At least Iowa St. can carry the B12 banner this year. Seems fitting for these pandemic times.
You’re kidding yourself if you think another conference wouldn’t want Texas or OU.

Let’s say your right Clob. Maybe Texas did want a black coach. You were considering James Franklin along with Charlie Strong. Idk of Franklin would of succeeded here either but he wouldn’t of been as bad as Charlie Strong. So the wanting a black coach weather you agree with it or not is not why Texas is where it is today. The fact is you could of hired Franklin and maybe you wouldn’t of been where you want to be you’d be better than you ended up. So the wanting a black coach even if it’s true. Has nothing to do with why Texas is bad.

and this next part isn’t directed at you necsssrly because I know you were advising against Herman just like I was. But many of the people who argue Charlie wasn’t qualified and only got the job because Texas wanted a black coach. We’re chasing Tom Herman for 2 years who was probably less qualified(the same at best) as Charlie Strong was. That’s why the “racism” card was played by some because in there mind if Charlie wasn’t qualified for Texas there is no way Herman is but it seemed as though the red carpet was rolled out for Herman

So even if Texas wanted a black coach because they wanted to make a “liberal statement you still could of made a better hire than what they made. You could of hired James Franklin, could of made a giant offer to mike Tomin, hell could of hired Herm Edwards who is doing a nice job at ASU. There are any number of guys you could of hired who would of been better than Strong and more qualified so even if they were dead set on getting a black coach that isn’t why they made a bad hire.
There's a lot to unpack here.

I agree that we could have hired a better coach than Charlie and if you look back at the beginnings of my posting career on here, I BEGGED the AD to back the money truck up to Mike Tomlin's house and pay him whatever he wanted. But Tomlin still believed the Steelers had a shot at another title--- so he wasn't leaving.

I also BEGGED for Tony dungee. He's a great man with a great eye for talent and a truly professional touch to everything he does. But he was too enamored with being Obama's phone buddy and going to state dinners at the White House. He wasn't giving that up.

Then McCombs got involved. On a Thursday he announced to the new AD that he was sending his Citation X to Tampa to pick up Jon Gruden on the following Monday morning to do a private meeting with him in San Antonio. Patterson was furious at McCombs and on Friday, Patterson hastily named Charlie the new coach, to spite McCombs and the big money donors. It had been decided BY Patterson before he ever took the job that he would hire at least one black coach for either basketball or football. Once Barnes started to falter, he got the chance to hire two. I agreed with the Shaka hire at the time, but disagreed with the Charlie hire. Both have turned out to be disasters.

Patterson was brought in as a carpet bagger from the north simply because he went to law school here and ties to professional sports teams and had previously been the AD at Arizona State, where he failed miserably there as well.

So why bring him in? A failed NBA GM at Portland and a failed Arizona st athletic director?

Because there was an agenda. Texas, years ago, had admitted students to law school that were NOT qualified and passed over white students that were far more qualified and did it under the guise of "affirmative action".
The school was sued for this and a decade plus later the case finally went to the Supreme Court where it was struck down and Texas was made to look stupid for doing this. They lost in crushing fashion. It was a gut punch to the social justice crew at Texas. They felt as though they had egg on their face and their "cause" lost ground.

So in some fvcked up mind game sort of way, they convinced themselves they had to save face.

Then along came Patterson and their opportunity.

They chose Steve because he believed it was time to hire coaches of color. Not based on merit-- but based on color. And this decision cost them as well.

And now here we are. The choice of the university to hire based on race instead of merit has backfired to the point that it has carried over to the next Staff and the infection has now spread to the players. Patterson made it about race and his legacy carries on.

Don't believe me? Have a look over at Alabama. Alabama is a state mired in terrible race relations. The worst only behind Mississippi. How are things going over at Bama? Are their players worried about a school song that may or may not be mired in a questionable racial past? Are their players looking for some part of Alabama's racist past to hold up to the masses and make a spectacle of? Are they protesting George Wallace standing in the doors of the administration and not allowing a young black girl to come to school there only to have the national guard and president of the United States intervene?

Nope.

Bama is getting busy with the business of winning football games. Because at Bama, we don't let the fat kid come out of the stands and play QB simply because he's a fat kid of color that "never got a chance in life". Bama has a merit based system-- just like we SHOULD have.
But Steve Patterson sacrificed a merit based system for a socially woke system, just so he could stick it to people (big money donors) that he didn't like.

It's not Charlie's fault he sucks as a head coach. It's not Charlie's fault he failed here. It's not Charlie's fault he was chosen. It's Patterson's fault.

Steve Patterson's legacy will live at the University for decades if the ship is not righted soon. That legacy will be one of failure, mired in good intentions gone awry.

In defense of Sam, the radio folk said that he may be having shoulder prob's. He did miss several throws that he made in earlier games. BTW, I'm not a doctor. Hook em.

I’m not saying there is no talent. I’m saying if you list the top 5 players in the conference from the last decade at each skill position, I’m not sure a single Longhorn makes the list. If you list the top 20 offensive linemen, I’m not sure a Longhorn makes the list. The issue is top end talent. Elite talent.

In defense of Sam, the radio folk said that he may be having shoulder prob's. He did miss several throws that he made in earlier games. BTW, I'm not a doctor. Hook em.
I was wondering about that because several of his throws were short and way off

I’m not saying there is no talent. I’m saying if you list the top 5 players in the conference from the last decade at each skill position, I’m not sure a single Longhorn makes the list. If you list the top 20 offensive linemen, I’m not sure a Longhorn makes the list. The issue is top end talent. Elite talent.
y'all need to tap the brakes on some of this. duvernay and maybe humphrey would make the wr list-- duvernay falling only behind lamb, off the top of my head. foreman would make the rb list, even though he always seemed more interested in his stats than winning. sam would be on the qb list-- this is not an nfl list. sam is better than mahomes was in college. and to whomever said sam is overrated because he doesn't have a next level arm... what do i care about the next level? tommie frazier didn't have an nfl arm either, and short of vince and leinart, he's the best college qb i've ever seen.

Sam is something else. He makes you proud how he performs when the chips are down.....a flat out gamer.

So where does he go in the 3rd quarter? Do the coaches get us all "lathered up" with rousing half time speeches that inspire our offense to hit the field screaming..."3 and out....3 and out"? Why cant Sam play in the 3rd quarter?

It is possible that we are so de motivated that we dont win another game this year. We havnt played the best of conference teams yet.

y'all need to tap the brakes on some of this. duvernay and maybe humphrey would make the wr list-- duvernay falling only behind lamb, off the top of my head. foreman would make the rb list, even though he always seemed more interested in his stats than winning. sam would be on the qb list-- this is not an nfl list. sam is better than mahomes was in college. and to whomever said sam is overrated because he doesn't have a next level arm... what do i care about the next level? tommie frazier didn't have an nfl arm either, and short of vince and leinart, he's the best college qb i've ever seen.

Top five conference WRs of the last decade... Duvernay is not on the list. Not based on raw talent and not based on college stats. By no measure does he make the list. Just off the top of my head, DeDe Westbrook, Tylan Wallace, CeeDee Lamb, Marquis Brown and Tyler Locket are all miles ahead of him. Corey Coleman and James Washington. Five Big 12 receivers have won the Biletnikov since 2010. Zero Longhorns. Top RBs Foreman makes the list if you are just basing it on stats, but not sure if you look at stats plus NFL talent. Ehlinger is not better than Mahomes in college. Mahomes led the league in passing twice. And Ehlinger is nowhere near the top 5 of the last decade. Bradford, Murray and Hurts from OU, Mahomes and Mason Rudolph off the top of my head. And again, one o-lineman drafted in a decade.

You need to be realistic about the talent available. As an OU fan, Oklahoma State’s offense has scared me far more year in and year out than Texas. Not because of schemes. Because of talent. There is no reason in the world that should be the case given Texas’ recruiting advantages. Ehlinger is a good college QB. But he doesn’t strike fear in opponents like those other QBs I mentioned. Texas hasn’t had a guy like that since McCoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
Let’s say your right Clob. Maybe Texas did want a black coach. You were considering James Franklin along with Charlie Strong. Idk of Franklin would of succeeded here either but he wouldn’t of been as bad as Charlie Strong. So the wanting a black coach weather you agree with it or not is not why Texas is where it is today. The fact is you could of hired Franklin and maybe you wouldn’t of been where you want to be you’d be better than you ended up. So the wanting a black coach even if it’s true. Has nothing to do with why Texas is bad.

and this next part isn’t directed at you necsssrly because I know you were advising against Herman just like I was. But many of the people who argue Charlie wasn’t qualified and only got the job because Texas wanted a black coach. We’re chasing Tom Herman for 2 years who was probably less qualified(the same at best) as Charlie Strong was. That’s why the “racism” card was played by some because in there mind if Charlie wasn’t qualified for Texas there is no way Herman is but it seemed as though the red carpet was rolled out for Herman

So even if Texas wanted a black coach because they wanted to make a “liberal statement you still could of made a better hire than what they made. You could of hired James Franklin, could of made a giant offer to mike Tomin, hell could of hired Herm Edwards who is doing a nice job at ASU. There are any number of guys you could of hired who would of been better than Strong and more qualified so even if they were dead set on getting a black coach that isn’t why they made a bad hire.

Here is my problem with this.

How many coaches are out there, lets say for arguments sake there are 100 Division 1 coaches out there. How many are black? As of right now there are 13. Already you have cut your field of qualified coaches down by 87%. Now you are looking for the best coach out of 13. You will likely eliminate about 8 or 9 of those and you are left with a field of 3 or 4 none of which have won squat. Now tell me your chances of one of these guys being the right guy to lead this team?

This is the problem I have, Neither Charlie or Herman was a smart hire, just like in the 80's and 90's when we hired David McWilliams and followed that up with John Mackovic.

There are very few guys qualified to coach at the University of Texas simply because of the requirements to be the coach here. Frankly I don't think any of the black coaches out there are qualified, not because they are bad coaches, but because there is so much more to this job than coaching. I will say this again, a football coach who loves coaching would hate being the coach at Texas because it is so much less about coaching and more about the other responsibilities he has to do.
He has to be a CEO and he has to make really really good assistant hires from the get go, there is no do over, he gets 3 or 4 years to produce results or at least trend in the right direction. He must command respect from his players the moment he walks into the room. He must command respect from the boosters the moment he walks into the room.

Do you know how hard it is to find a coach like that? Making a hire about race is never going to get the results you require unless you basically hit the lottery.

I could have made the same argument about Herman and his lack of experience. He was hired because of hype and nothing more.

Here is my problem with this.

How many coaches are out there, lets say for arguments sake there are 100 Division 1 coaches out there. How many are black? As of right now there are 13. Already you have cut your field of qualified coaches down by 87%. Now you are looking for the best coach out of 13. You will likely eliminate about 8 or 9 of those and you are left with a field of 3 or 4 none of which have won squat. Now tell me your chances of one of these guys being the right guy to lead this team?

This is the problem I have, Neither Charlie or Herman was a smart hire, just like in the 80's and 90's when we hired David McWilliams and followed that up with John Mackovic.

There are very few guys qualified to coach at the University of Texas simply because of the requirements to be the coach here. Frankly I don't think any of the black coaches out there are qualified, not because they are bad coaches, but because there is so much more to this job than coaching. I will say this again, a football coach who loves coaching would hate being the coach at Texas because it is so much less about coaching and more about the other responsibilities he has to do.
He has to be a CEO and he has to make really really good assistant hires from the get go, there is no do over, he gets 3 or 4 years to produce results or at least trend in the right direction. He must command respect from his players the moment he walks into the room. He must command respect from the boosters the moment he walks into the room.

Do you know how hard it is to find a coach like that? Making a hire about race is never going to get the results you require unless you basically hit the lottery.

I could have made the same argument about Herman and his lack of experience. He was hired because of hype and nothing more.
I agree that aren’t many options if you wanted to hire a black coach which is a separate issue worth discussion both in the NFL and NCAA, but that’s not the point. The point is if that was your goal there were better roads(more qualified roles to go down. They literately interviewd a better option in James Franklin. Now I mean I don’t know if James Franklin would of got us ultimately. Where we need to be, but I feel pretty confident in saying things wouldn’t of ended up being the dumpster fire it has become. In fact I’d venture a guess that if they had hired Franklin over Strong Franklin would probably still be here.

I hardly doubt Franklin would have been more successful than Herman or Strong as he has the same issues. As I said, Tom doesn't have the skill set or maturity to be the coach at Texas. I don't know Franklin very well, but I know that success at Penn State doesn't necessarily equate to success at Texas, again the skill set required to succeed at Texas is different than the skill set need at a place like Penn State.

Reactions: freeper
I hardly doubt Franklin would have been more successful than Herman or Strong as he has the same issues. As I said, Tom doesn't have the skill set or maturity to be the coach at Texas. I don't know Franklin very well, but I know that success at Penn State doesn't necessarily equate to success at Texas, again the skill set required to succeed at Texas is different than the skill set need at a place like Penn State.
I don’t know if he would of gotten Texas to where we need to be, but we wouldn’t be the total dumpster fire we have been the last 7-8. I mean we are looking at 3-7 right in the face. I mean it’s hard to see us beating anyone else but Kansas and maybe WVU or Baylor. Neither of those are locks

Last edited:
If Texas does bring in Urban Meyer it is going to have to be a short term fix 5-7 years based on his history. Which means it would be smart to have someone with him with an eye on them being the HC of the future. Kellen Moore would be an interesting guy to do that with. At 32 years old already an NFL OC putting up a lot of points. Think he has a bright future as a coach. Just isn’t working under the best tutors with Garrett and now McCarthy.

If Texas does bring in Urban Meyer it is going to have to be a short term fix 5-7 years based on his history. Which means it would be smart to have someone with him with an eye on them being the HC of the future. Kellen Moore would be an interesting guy to do that with. At 32 years old already an NFL OC putting up a lot of points. Think he has a bright future as a coach. Just isn’t working under the best tutors with Garrett and now McCarthy.

I'll take it. In fact, I'd be for bringing in an up and coming coordinator who we can turn the program over to when Urban steps down.

I'll take it. In fact, I'd be for bringing in an up and coming coordinator who we can turn the program over to when Urban steps down.
Yeah that’s what I mean. That’s what Utah and Ohio State did and it’s worked out well. FL didn’t do that and it didn’t really work out that well. There are a number of guys that would fit that mold.

i dont want a guy that puts up freakin points. I want a guy who makes our guys tackle. YAC against us have to be the most of any team in football history.

Ryan, you were banned in 2019. It's not ok to re-register a new username and resume posting.
Yeah that wasn’t the point of this screen name. I joined the premium board awhile back couldn’t get in to my old account so I created a new one to do that. Started my own business a bit ago so I let my membership go for awhile. I figured enough time had passed that we could all put our differences in the past in the past and move on.
Look. I was probably a little strong and stubborn in my takes in the past. I still believe everything I said much of what I said at the time a lot of the board is saying today, but I could of handled myself differently.

That said there were a lot of personal attacks and name calling thrown my way back then too, so we all can get a little carried away. I apologize for the role I played in that. We’re all adults though, we all want the same thing and that is for the Longhorns to get back to the top of college football, so Hook’em and lets move on

ADVERTISEMENT