ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas vs K st gettin they brawl on

clob94

Aug 25, 2014

Two things, one dude grabs a chair and is about to go WWE on another dude. And the blonde chick screaming at the top of her lungs, right there in the middle of the fray, yelling "staaaaaawwwwwpppp. Staaaaawwwwwppp"

Pretty sure both teams are going to have severe suspensions handed down.

Is Bill Self in trouble? Caught up in the Adidas scandal, has stripper poles at midnight madness, and now loses control of the team? And most importantly, not going to win the conference for the 2nd straight year?

Is Bill Self in trouble? Caught up in the Adidas scandal, has stripper poles at midnight madness, and now loses control of the team? And most importantly, not going to win the conference for the 2nd straight year?

Why would he be in trouble? It's not like he took a perennial tournament team to a perennial NIT bubble team like SS.

I always crack up at the announcers reactions. Sometimes I wonder if they were in a bubble growing up.

yeah yeah I know these fools shouldn’t be throwing down but it’s not like fights and pushing never happens. Watch hockey for crying out loud!

Now this is really bad.
When you have fans and pro players going at it that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

The funniest may be the time when Van Gundy was hanging like a monkey on a player when the Knicks and Heat got into it in 1998.
gal-hated-mourning2-jpg.jpg

This thread reminded of a game back in 1972 between tOSU and MN. Only the Malice at the Palace was worse. This was well before YouTube and the video that you can see is at ground level and a little bit grainy. But I read about it in the news and a read a follow up article in SI.

MN had a coach named Bill Musselman who came in and recruited some jc players and th there were a core of 7 players, 6 of them inner city black kids. They would come out in warm ups and dunk and do Globetrotters type stuff and all of it to rock music. Now you have to know this was when dunking was outlawed in college ball and back then real fans hated Globetrotters stuff.

So this MN team comes into the game and they're already at a feverish pitch and because the game was played in MN the fans were at a feverish pitch as well. When tOSU came out before the game they were booed and the fans were throwing all sorts of stuff at them. Keep in mind the game hadn't even started yet. And at stake was first place in the Big 10.

The game was played without incident and the zebras had control of the game. But with 30 seconds left the buckeyes were ahead by 6 and the game was over. The tOSU center was going on for a layup and was flagrantly fouled. The center was almost unconscious and then a player was going to help him up but instead he kneed him in the balls and the fight was on. As the center was down a MN player came from behind and started kicking him in the head and neck causing him cornea damage which he still has today. Then the MN players started chasing the tOSU players all over the court they caught another player by tackling him. A MN player named Dave Winfield, remember him, jumped on the kid and punched him 5x with his right hand so hard he made his own hand bleed. Not surprisingly that kid suffered a concussion. Finally security came in and restored peace. The two MN players who started it were ejected. Amazingly Dave Winfield was not suspended and that game was the reason I never liked him. Two MN players were suspended for the season. Bill Musselman was one of the most ruthless coaches in bb history. He had a saying in the locker room saying defeat was worse than death because you have to live with defeat. Seriously he actually said that. Whoa. He created this attitude on his team and refused to accept any responsibility for what happened afterwards. The majority of the MN players have never expressed any remorse for what happened. One last thing. Where it resembles the Malice is the MN fans came out on the court and joined in the fight. And like the Malice the game was ended with 30 seconds to go. Sadly this was a case of black players going after white players. Black players from tOSU said they were out there on the court trying to break up the fight and they said the MN players never touched them. The assailants were black and the victims were white. Just one of those sad things that happened. But it doesn't excuse the behavior of the MN players it was ugly and cowardly violence.

One final thought the MN players who stated it Clyde Turner and Corky Taylor started a healing process with the tOSU victim Luke Witte. And with the healing the 3 of them made peace with each other and became friends at the end.

And I still think Dave Winfield is an as*hole

Last edited:
That video is incredible! That kick in the nuts was such a cheap shot, and the other guy stomping on the head of the player laying on the ground is downright criminal - this video makes KU/KSU look like WWE.

That video is incredible! That kick in the nuts was such a cheap shot, and the other guy stomping on the head of the player laying on the ground is downright criminal - this video makes KU/KSU look like WWE.

You're right about comparing this game to tOSU/MN. I've had time to think about it maybe it was worse than the Malice. Really that fight was more about the fans against the players. If you go back and look at film Larry Brown got his players off the court. This war between players most of who were out of control and a coach who did nothing to stop it.

Let me ask you a question since you we're a former player. On my reply I talked about how the MN coach said defeat is worse than death because you have live with defeat.

I respect that a player you have to do or say whatever it takes to win and you don't complain about what the other team does. But isn't this extreme? I would like to hear from you in this.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT