ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: 24 Hours Later...

What I know (from people in the program): After the spring practices, Sark knew Card had more upside than Casey. They also knew the OL was leaky. They thought they would have to start Casey for the first part of the season since he was a better scrambler and let Card grow into the job..

What I don’t know, but believe: During fall practice, Sark thought the OL had improved and could pass block enough to protect Card. Obviously, they got it wrong.

What I know (from people in the program): After the spring practices, Sark knew Card had more upside than Casey. They also knew the OL was leaky. They thought they would have to start Casey for the first part of the season since he was a better scrambler and let Card grow into the job..

What I don’t know, but believe: During fall practice, Sark thought the OL had improved and could pass block enough to protect Card. Obviously, they got it wrong.
They seemed to have believed the OL was going to be fine since the spring.

Maybe they were overconfident in how well they'd be able to develop that group.

Reactions: DKinnamon
a. Sark might be doing a lot of things, but making a quarterback change in week three of the season after a 19-point loss against a rival is not playing chess.

b. What you call "angst" is really just discussion. The idea that I wrote in "angst" is what is silly.
Posts that didnt age well for 400 Alex.

Texas fans felt worse because they had expectations and watched a rival physically impose its will for four quarters in a different type of embarrassing way. As horrifically embarrassing as the FSU loss was, the expectations for that program - 6 or 7 wins this season - are so miserably low right now it was oddly easy to stomach. The program has fallen so far so quick the switch flips from anger to apathy quickly.

Anyway, I only pay attention to football played on Sundays now. What's this college stuff you speak of? I'm out on those teams. That's how bad Saturday was.

so what happens if Thompson has a strong performance against Rice? a team comparable to Louisiana? yes they are comparable. does Sark give Thompson the start against an opponent comparable to Arkansas .. Texas Tech? yes he does or he's got to eat the fact he had 6 months of observing both and picked the wrong guy. that's .. embarrassing and not exactly an endorsement of his coaching acumen. and this from a guy was a qb at BYU and the CFL.

if Thompson has a strong game against Rice (who gave the hogtards a better game than we did) then he deserves the start against Tech.

let's see what he can do against a similar foe as Card.

so what happens if Thompson has a strong performance against Rice? a team comparable to Louisiana? yes they are comparable. does Sark give Thompson the start against an opponent comparable to Arkansas .. Texas Tech? yes he does or he's got to eat the fact he had 6 months of observing both and picked the wrong guy. that's .. embarrassing and not exactly an endorsement of his coaching acumen. and this from a guy was a qb at BYU and the CFL.

if Thompson has a strong game against Rice (who gave the hogtards a better game than we did) then he deserves the start against Tech.

let's see what he can do against a similar foe as Card.
What happens, we win. Isnt that the goal?

And as long as he plays well, he should get most of the PT.

Winning is all that matters. Who gets us there isnt really that important.

I think you’re overthinking the QB decision. Card had deer in the headlights and isn’t ready. He reminded me of Jerrod Heards play at Ames in 2015. And we might see more of that in Fort Worth and the Cotton Bowl if Sark continues to run him out there. No mas.
Hudson is a good QB, but he had a defeated attitude when on the sideline. Showed no fight.

Reactions: SR60
What happens, we win. Isnt that the goal?

And as long as he plays well, he should get most of the PT.

Winning is all that matters. Who gets us there isnt really that important.

then why didn't Sark pull Card at the half when the game was still in play? that's what Sark is catching heat for. he favored his guy over winning. and i'm watching a replay of the game now on LHN.

So after Sarks announcement today, we now know that the angst by Ketch and other posters was wasted energy. Sark is playing chess while the chicken littles are playing with their marbles. Sark found out early that Card, while still full of potential, isnt quite ready to jump into the spotlight. Better in Arky than the Cotton bowl.

Funny that all these angst laden posts failed to recognize how Saban has often used two QBs to win big. Maybe silly axioms like two Qbs = zero Qbs are indeed just silly.
Get us a decent OL and then we talk QBs. Okafor was an abject embarrassment.

When a team is up by about 30 in the second half, their D tends to relax (and also play some form of prevent D). Arkie was no different as far as their D letting up some and playing to keep everything in front of the DBs. It happens way more often than not. Let's see how the QBs do against TCU and mainly Okie. With our OL I feel sorry for either QB playing when it matters (not counting when we are 25-30 down going into 4th Q). If either QB shines against Okie we have found our QB for the season, but I am not optimistic, especially with our suckage of an OL.

Get Okafor off the damn field. Hell, Hookfin, Karic, anybody on scholarship should be better than Oak was Saturday. None of the OL shined, but Oak was simply a disaster. It was even worse on a rewatch. Just awful.

If anyone wants to be a masochist like I was and watch that disaster again, focus on #78 when we have the ball. As bad as I have ever seen in DKR, and that goes back several decades and includes some really crappy performances (Tristan Nickelson anyone?). Oak took the golden toilet from him Saturday. Hurt my eyes on the rewatch.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT