ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (30,000-foot view of 2019 recruiting ...)

So am I wrong for thinking Drew Mehringer, Warhime, and Tim Beck are dead weight on this staff?

I don’t think it makes sense to base an argument on passer rating when a guy started 6 games, half of which were against cannon fodder.

It’s like taking the rookie who hits a homerun in his first game, and saying he’s on pace to hit 162 over the course of the season. If it’s not meaningless, it’s close.

The same thing is true of using a QB with 6 starts, most of which are against teams that we were absolutely trouncing at that point in program history.

If you think Mock is a top 10 guy based on ability, just say it, but pointing to his QBR is so apples to oranges vs. guys that had to play a full schedule that it just feels dishonest.
Ability absolute plays a performance, as does the horrific numbers posted by most of those being suggested as a replacement.

Reactions: Dog from Duck Hunt
All good; however, the tribute to your mom was stellar. So many of us have similar stories.

Many of the successes I’ve achieved in life begin & end with my mother.

Well done!
giphy.gif

Mock could have been top 5 if not for sitting behind VY, but did not get enough PT to be on the list.
Sims before Applewhite? Child, please...... he should even be behind Gardere.

I see the cultists have properly trolled.

Reactions: cooleyo
Bobby Layne too low. James Brown too high. Duke Carlisle should be on the list and probably Peter Gardere. Mock is not top 15 and probably not top 20.

Little surprised you did not weigh in on the Lefty situation at Shinnecock. Both the act and his "explanation."

Ability absolute plays a performance, as does the horrific numbers posted by most of those being suggested as a replacement.

Be Better

If you're going to use passer rating as your standard, then David Ash's 2012 and 2013 seasons were better than Chance Mock

David Ash 2012: 153.3
Case McCoy 2012: 169.0 (242 less pass attempts than Ash)
David Ash 2013: 156.3
Chance Mock 2003: 148.74 (135 less pass attempts than 2012 Ash)

Do we need to compare supporting casts that both played with? Ash played with Mike Davis, Marquise Goodwin, and Jonathon Gray. Mock had the Big 3 at WR as seniors, sophomore Cedric Benson and sophomore David Thomas at TE.

Mock's "high" passer rating is the result of a very small sample size as a redshirt junior. He was not pressed into action as a true freshman, like Ash or redshirt freshman, otherwise his passer rating would be a lot worse. Against, NMSU, Tulsa, Rice, and Baylor, Mock competed 66.67% of his passes. Against the rest of the opponents, he completed 49.6%.

My hunch is your inclusion of Mock is tied to some sort of personal connection/anecdote/experience with him that you're not disclosing.

Layne is on the list because of his pro football exploits. He was not a better college football player than Brown, who won part of three conference titles, including the last SWC and the first Big 12.

Drop Brown in 1948's Longhorn team and I'll bet you a hundy that team never loses.

Are you honestly putting an athlete from the 90s in the era of the 40s?? That’s your argument? Dude.

Be Better

If you're going to use passer rating as your standard, then David Ash's 2012 and 2013 seasons were better than Chance Mock

David Ash 2012: 153.3
Case McCoy 2012: 169.0 (242 less pass attempts than Ash)
David Ash 2013: 156.3
Chance Mock 2003: 148.74 (135 less pass attempts than 2012 Ash)

Do we need to compare supporting casts that both played with? Ash played with Mike Davis, Marquise Goodwin, and Jonathon Gray. Mock had the Big 3 at WR as seniors, sophomore Cedric Benson and sophomore David Thomas at TE.

Mock's "high" passer rating is the result of a very small sample size as a redshirt junior. He was not pressed into action as a true freshman, like Ash or redshirt freshman, otherwise his passer rating would be a lot worse. Against, NMSU, Tulsa, Rice, and Baylor, Mock competed 66.67% of his passes. Against the rest of the opponents, he completed 49.6%.

My hunch is your inclusion of Mock is tied to some sort of personal connection/anecdote/experience with him that you're not disclosing.
Everyone knows I love Chance. Ash is a decent shout.

Are you honestly putting an athlete from the 90s in the era of the 40s?? That’s your argument? Dude.
Well, that and the fact that from 1970-2000, he was the best quarterback in the modern era of the sport and won multiple championships.

ADVERTISEMENT