ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A few more things about the quarterbacks...)

That OU defense has low key turned the corner already. They were top 15 in the country in SP+ last year in only Grinch's second year. But ironically as the defense has gotten better, I think the offense even with rattler back will be a big step back from what they are used to in Riley's first few years there. The O-line was just meh last year and they loose their two best players. That will be a big advantage for Texas (with the full knowledge I'm talking about an advantage 5 months out)
Both teams would appear to have serious advantages in the DL vs OL match-up.

Reactions: seantran6
Great list. Hard to argue on you Al Pacino list. But I might move his role is Serpico up to 4. A very underrated movie. Agree w you his role in GF 2 is the GOAT.
I considered his performance in Dog Day Afternoon for the No.2 spot. His top 6-7 is just loaded.

I guess I can't be president of the Casey fan club, so maybe I'll take the CEO or GC role. While I thought Casey was going to separate himself after the first drive, the remainder of the game showed that the race is closer than I would have thought after the Alamo Bowl. However, I disagree with the B/S on which one you go with. 10 years ago (or maybe even more), the conventional wisdom was, when you have two players about even on performance, you go with the young guy. Now, with the graduate transfer rules and transfer portal, you always have to consider what's best for the team in light of a key position guy potentially leaving. If, after Fall camp, Casey and Card are still neck-and-neck, you play Casey, since he could transfer and play immediately anywhere else as a graduate transfer. That touchdown pass of Card's was a thing of beauty, but he appeared similarly inconsistent and even skipped a pass later in the game. If, during the year, Card starts coming on in practice and looks to be surpassing Casey, give him some meaningful game reps and, if he really starts separating himself, maybe he ends the year at QB1. That also gives Charles Wright some time with Sark and hopefully Maalik Murphy is an early enrollee to get some depth if Casey were to leave after the year.
at the end of the day, I think you play the guy you think gives you the best chance at winning a championship in 2022.

@Ketchum
You don't think the defense was already turning a corner at the end of last year? A lot of people were calling for Ash to be retained because we all saw development over the course of the year. Not saying our new D Coord didn't have them organized, but let's not go shining his shoes just yet....
I think this defenses lacked a serious pass rush all year in 2020 and now is missing the best one they had.

I really wish they would start the season playing both QB's in a rotation. I find the notion that there can only be one playing to start things out kind of archaic thinking back to when the QB was the player calling plays. Then let the % of playing time and battle work itself out when the lights are on and naturally one of the two takes over by Game 3-4 or so
I think that scares everyone involved, including the coaches.

Reactions: seantran6 and srl
My question about the quarterbacks is which receivers will be working with which quarterback during the summer workouts. If one recalls, Vince got everyone together in the summer before the championship to work on improving the passing game. However, he was the clear team leader. Neither of these guys is that yet. So, who follows each QB? And, if it's split, is that potentially divisive?
I think Casey is the guy that will lead in that way in the off-season, but that might not mean his consistency issues go away.

Tony Montana is the most gangster character ever.
tumblr_mt31ry0Fyc1sorxdao1_500.gif

It's almost like you read my mind with your description of the quarterback situation. I went into yesterday hoping that Casey would take the bull by the horns, especially since he seemed to be the guy with all of the intangibles (confidence, swagger, leadership, etc.) I came away thinking that he looked somewhat mediocre at the most important aspects of playing the position; standing in the pocket, making good reads and delivering accurate passes. Card certainly seems better at all of those things, but he doesn't appear to be quite ready to take the reigns. At this point, I think Sark needs to be looking at the transfer portal to hopefully pull in a player who will bring credible competition at the position. This would serve two purposes: 1) Provide a true 3rd option at the QB position during summer camp. 2) Provide a potential backup/starter in the event Casey does end up transferring. I think Card is likely the QB of the future, but that future may have to begin in 2022. Sark can't afford to go into the 21 season with Card as the only viable QB on the roster.
I'm not sure they have enough open spots to take a quarterback transfer.

Not sure why but after reading all that the first thing that comes to mind is, “Texas isn’t winning the Big 12 this year.”

I guess I shouldn’t expect them to anyway, but so much more development left for the Longhorns and the Big 12 will have some tough teams to overcome.

Yeah I think Sark was trying testing Casey to see how he would respond to the adversity to throwing a pick six and Hudson making plays.
Keep in mind that all of that followed directly after the pick-six.

Not sure why but after reading all that the first thing that comes to mind is, “Texas isn’t winning the Big 12 this year.”

I guess I shouldn’t expect them to anyway, but so much more development left for the Longhorns and the Big 12 will have some tough teams to overcome.
It'll be one hell of. coaching job if they can pull it off.

at the end of the day, I think you play the guy you think gives you the best chance at winning a championship in 2022.
Card has the highest ceiling but Thompson has 2 years of football maturity over him. It’s also like one guy has a 5 minute head start in a 10 mile race but the faster guy will catch up eventually by mile marker 5...

Reactions: seantran6 and srl
I think Casey is the guy that will lead in that way in the off-season, but that might not mean his consistency issues go away.
Nor will his weak arm go away. Here's hoping that Card gets a helluva lot of reps with all receivers & backs this summer. I'd feel a lot better.

I'm not sure they have enough open spots to take a quarterback transfer.
If that's the case then I think the likely scenario is that the team goes into the season with Card as the starter and Charles Wright as the backup. I think the chances that Casey loses the qb battle and hangs in as the backup are slim to none.

It looks like Jeff George's son Jayden just put his name in the transfer portal at Alabama. He was a 2018 preferred walk-on at Bama. Any chance that Sark tries to get him to walk-on here? He threw for 3000 yards, 41 TDs and won a state championship in his senior year in Indiana.

Reactions: HkmTxsLnghrns
Card has the highest ceiling but Thompson has 2 years of football maturity over him. It’s also like one guy has a 5 minute head start in a 10 mile race but the faster guy will catch up eventually by mile marker 5...
I think Casey has a ton of upside and moxy. Card pushing him to reach his highest level is how great players are formed. VY and Colt both had to go through it.

Nor will his weak arm go away. Here's hoping that Card gets a helluva lot of reps with all receivers & backs this summer. I'd feel a lot better.
I wouldn't say his arm is weak at all.

If that's the case then I think the likely scenario is that the team goes into the season with Card as the starter and Charles Wright as the backup. I think the chances that Casey loses the qb battle and hangs in as the backup are slim to none.

It looks like Jeff George's son Jayden just put his name in the transfer portal at Alabama. He was a 2018 preferred walk-on at Bama. Any chance that Sark tries to get him to walk-on here? He threw for 3000 yards, 41 TDs and won a state championship in his senior year in Indiana.
Anything is possible, I guess.

I loved Dajon Harrison's film. Hope he can put it together and contribute this fall.

I wouldn't say his arm is weak at all.
The interception by Jamison, the near interception later by Jamison and the same throw and near interception in the Colorado game indicate to me that he has difficulty throwing accurately all the way across the field. He puts too much air under the ball for a reason. I wouldn't mind being wrong if it means we win.

Long term, Card is the guy, especially with a better O-line and receivers. With what we have now, Casey's mobility and ability to make off schedule plays may give us the best chance for 2021. However, Card gives the best chance to win in 2022 with a better O-line, receivers and year 3 Bijan.

Pacino’s character in Heat was one of my all time favorites. Hell that movie is one of my all time favorites.
This, Vincent Hanna is his best character and they gave him some great lines that he absolutely nails in the movie. Heat is the greatest crime (cops and robbers) movie of all time. Hell Christopher Nolan and others have continued to talk about how Heat influenced how they make their movies today.

Reactions: Golfer301980
This, Vincent Hanna is his best character and they gave him some great lines that he absolutely nails in the movie. Heat is the greatest crime (cops and robbers) movie of all time. Hell Christopher Nolan and others have continued to talk about how Heat influenced how they make their movies today.

Great cast...top to bottom. Val Kilmer and Ashley Judd are a fantastic pairing in that movie - never would thought that given their respective bodies of work. Even Jon Voight's very limited role is great.

Great content tonight @Ketchum !

Austin FC made my weekend (plus baseball taking 2-3 from OSU). Am I a bad person for switching my avatar from Liverpool to Austin? Liverpool will always have a place in my heart, but I am all in with the hometown team. So happy to finally have a pro franchise of our own to cheer for in Austin. Not regretting that season ticket purchase.

Coach K's hire wasnt as talked about as it should have been. Getting him is like getting venables. What hurt Sark at USC(on the field) was his defensive hires, he knocked it out the park this go around! As long as coach K is here we will be a top 3 defense in the big 12 every year book it.

@Ketchum

A few things...

Texas was recruiting Worthy 48 hours after Sark was hired.

If we had Garrett Wilson and Jaylon Waddle currently at WR, we would take Xavier in a heartbeat. He was top 50 National Player.

Yeah, it’s nice that he brings speed that we lack, but don’t make it sound like Sark pulled some kind of trigger because he’s disappointed in the current core of WR’s. Overall, the position is weak, but we have a few dawgs with experience or that have more than flashed. They were after Worthy because he’s an exceptional talent.

Likewise, the overall talent at LB’er is very good (Overshown, Gbenda, Tillman, Hullaby, Ford, Cooks, Blackwell, Brockermeyer, etc.), we just lack experience. The Klein kid brings some experience.

You can be experienced at a position, but lack ideal numbers (see WR). You can be talented at a position, but lack experience (see LB’er).

Transfers are about adding experience.

ADVERTISEMENT