ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A huge dose of tasty burnt orange Kool-Aid...)

Reading that....dang Charlie baked a helluva cake before he left.

As long as you're metaphorically speaking.
We'll stay on point;

Charlie didn't even know what kind of cake he was trying to bake.
He was just throwing random ingredients into the mix.
He figured he would then just throw it into the oven, without any idea of cooking temperature or time, and thought he'd just come back a couple of hours later to check on it.

Good job Ketch. Obviously took some time and effort to put that together. Gracias.

Reactions: PaulieD
Loved the 99 Reasons List ... gave me a Longhorn Woody!

About half the reasons on the list follow this kind of logic ...

Player X has All Big 12 talent and athleticism and has shown it at some point in time - high school, practices, Spring Game or on the field in UT games in spurts.

The reason Player X is not already All Big 12 is - was young and needed to develop, was poorly motivated, was not put in a position to succeed by scheme etc. and/or was just horribly coached.

Player X is more mature now, hungry to win and is much better coached, thus Player X will be really good this year.

Not bad logic. Of course it won't play out that way in every case, but if that formula works for even half the guys on the list, we should be looking at a solid 9+ win season.

Charlie didn't even know what kind of cake he was trying to bake.
He was just throwing random ingredients into the mix.
He figured he would then just throw it into the oven, without any idea of cooking temperature or time, and thought he'd just come back a couple of hours later to check on it.
He bought some pretty high end ingredients, but if you don't know how to mix them correctly...

You and I watched different film from last year for LB. Today, there is a large gap between what was written and reality. That position is going to be a white knuckle ride. Orlando will earn every red cent of his contract trying to figure out how to turn a team weakness into a team strength.
just watch

just watch

For the record, I'm not saying the linebackers CAN'T or WON'T turn into a strength. Just that the unit (collectively and individually) was a big weakness last season, and their progress will dictate a LOT about this defense and this team in 2017.

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
Ketch, damn good timing and darn good article!

But for the "10 is the New Floor" club, realize that hope springs anew and every team site in the country is laying out reasons to feel confident and giddy about the upcoming season.

A Healthy Dose of Pessimism is a good thing. Huge chunks of this write up are about potential. Collin Johnson isn't a returning 10 TD receiver, but he could get there. Warren hasn't rushed for a 1000 yards, but he could get there. Tom Herman hasn't won a Big 12 Championship yet, but it looks like he'll amass several. Malik hasn't turned into Derrick Johnson, but... you see where I'm going here.

Lest You Think I'm Nay-saying I want to point out that while Ketch is talking about our potential and not proof; this is the most potential we've had for a fun, break-out season since Garret Gilbert was a sophomore.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking anything short of 10 wins is a let down. Because 8-9 wins would be fantastic and if that happens, heading into 2018, we'll have just as much proof as potential at that point.

(btw, guess who figured out how to use bold and italics to emphasize his points? How cool am I?)

Reactions: rlstep and Kdub472
burntorangekoolaidlake.jpg

Hook ’em.

One of the best TTFTW in a long, long time. Adding the GOT commentary would push it even higher.

After reading all of the 99, I am still nagged by the feeling that this team has not had a winning season the last 3 years. Hoping the 90s list makes the difference. That said, we will improve -- but my take is still 8 wins going into a bowl game.

After sitting through BYU and CAL games on the road, I can't say I am very optimistic about our chances against USC. I'm hoping for a competitive game in which our defense does not leak like a sieve. But I think we're looking at USC 34, UT 24 -- or something to that effect.

Looking forward to the GOT comments -- have already read 4 reviews. Cersei Lannister makes Cruella De Vil look like a clawless, charming pussy cat. RIP House Martell.

Hook 'em!!!

Reactions: longhornms
One of the best TTFTW in a long, long time. Adding the GOT commentary would push it even higher.

After reading all of the 99, I am still nagged by the feeling that this team has not had a winning season the last 3 years. Hoping the 90s list makes the difference. That said, we will improve -- but my take is still 8 wins going into a bowl game.

After sitting through BYU and CAL games on the road, I can't say I am very optimistic about our chances against USC. I'm hoping for a competitive game in which our defense does not leak like a sieve. But I think we're looking at USC 34, UT 24 -- or something to that effect.

Looking forward to the GOT comments -- have already read 4 reviews. Cersei Lannister makes Cruella De Vil look like a clawless, charming pussy cat. RIP House Martell.

Hook 'em!!!
Great article. Tons of thought. I agree with OP though. I don't think every position group can be top in conference based on our 5-7 record last year. If so, the coaching had to be the worst in history. Wait...

Here's the things aboUT Herman, yes he will have us amped for USC, BlowU, TCU, and OK St. Which why I think beating USC and BlowU is very possible.But his track record give us the possibility to lose to some team we have no business losing 2.

Thats like saying Urban meyers track record before Florida was losing to teams he had no reason losing to. He did lose to New Mexico and 6-6 Aggy while at Utah. He had no business losing to either.

Doesn't change anything. He beats good teams. He isn't losing because of random unpreparedness to teams like SMU. Think he was down his entire LB starting corp and his QB.

I expect his depth at Texas will cover for those sorts of issues.

For the record, I'm not saying the linebackers CAN'T or WON'T turn into a strength. Just that the unit (collectively and individually) was a big weakness last season, and their progress will dictate a LOT about this defense and this team in 2017.
we're on the same page.

I love me some Carter. I think he is the most complete RB on the team, as far as what he can do and how he plays.

But he's still unproven. And Porter, in games, has been nothing but underwhelming so far.

Porter had some runs later in the season where he flashed some of his ability. Without doubt, he had many more runs where he was stuffed in his limited opportunities. However, he was a freshmen in a new offense, both to him and to the team. I think D'onta was much better at picking his way through the log jam that not uncommonly represented the line push.

I won't concede any game. The goal is to win them all. 10 - 2 regular season would be great, however. 15 - 0 would blow some minds. I; like CTH, will go into each game expecting to win.

#15. Johnson has to get healthy before he can stay healthy.
#41 Tap the breaks.
#42. Rivals says don't drink on the job.

1-99 overall? Interesting.

I feel like we are going to win 10 games after reading this. Maybe 11 with a bowl win!

The notes about the defense are creepy similar. 2017 had a pretty good defense, i remember thinking if we had a better offense we wouldve won alot more games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT