ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A moment of great opportunity...)

I don’t know....want Urban, but not confident he will coach again any time soon. Hope I’m wrong. I also don’t think there has been near as much of dialog with Urban as has been reported, at least prior to this weekend. At least that’s what I’ve heard from people who would know. I hope that has now changed.

Herman is responsible for the Eyes cluster, not CDC. CDC had to go clean it up. Why in the world would he have to go tell the players to stand for the Eyes? That is Herman’s job. Does anyone think the Eyes issue would have been blown up the same way under Mack? No way. He knew his teams (and fans) much better.

Reactions: HornPitt
* 100 million X 10 years. That's the number I've heard mentioned to me this weekend with regards to a contract Meyer would desire. Is that crazy? Well, if Jimbo Fisher can get $75 million over the same time period, a superior coach with the most leverage any coach has ever had can probably get 100. Also, that might be 100 million, plus bonuses. Meyer ain't coming here on a lay-away plan.

All right, Meyer wants a 10-year deal. He's going to need it, so 10 years, $100 million, give it to him. Get him here.

Please tell me that in giving Meyer a 10-year deal, Texas isn't going to dilute that deal with the stupendously stupid move of telling Meyer, "Come in, get everything in place, get recruiting rolling, and after three years you can name your replacement and step aside."

Meyer won't be assuming anything resembling the job he took at Ohio State. When he accepted the job in 2011, Ohio State had won five straight Big 10 championships, had played in the national championship game twice in that five-year span, and it had gone 12-1 the year before Meyer took over.

Meyer took the keys to an Enzo Ferrari, and regarding any problems he had at Florida, he was an Ohio boy coming home. Meyer used his name and abilities and kept the accelerator floored.

But he has a program to build at Texas, and a need to recruit at an elite level and do so quickly. And the negative recruiting by all the name programs that have gained a foothold in Texas recruiting is going to be relentless and brutal.

Every coach that recruits Texas is going to be telling recruits as well as their parents that they have a connection to Ohio State, and that Meyer covered up for a coach he knew was physically abusing his wife, and that it was a lot worse than ever got out on the news. And they're going to show recruits and their parents the game clip where Herbstreit comments that Meyer doesn't look well on the sidelines, and they're going to lie and say they hear on good word that Meyer's health is not good, that Texas is paying him a boatload of money to simply come in and reboot the program, and that he's not staying at Texas any more than three years, four at the most. If his health holds out that long, they'll say.

And there are going to be recruits that Texas wants, that Texas needs, who are going to listen to that, if for no other reason than they're going to get bombarded with it.

And if Meyer only stays at Texas three or four years, there are going to be a lot of pissed off people. Pissed off at Meyer. Pissed off at Texas.

And, sorry, to borrow from Tom Herman, it will be really hard for the replacement to fix that.

So if Meyer is asking for a 10-year deal, he's all in for that, right? Because if he's not, it could beautiful in the short term and ugly in the long run.

Don’t agree. The TV contact requires a set number of games. If they don’t make the quota it will cost all of the schools money.
I'm just saying that the motivation for everyone staying focused on this front has slipped IMO.

All right, Meyer wants a 10-year deal. He's going to need it, so 10 years, $100 million, give it to him. Get him here.

Please tell me that in giving Meyer a 10-year deal, Texas isn't going to dilute that deal with the stupendously stupid move of telling Meyer, "Come in, get everything in place, get recruiting rolling, and after three years you can name your replacement and step aside."

Meyer won't be assuming anything resembling the job he took at Ohio State. When he accepted the job in 2011, Ohio State had won five straight Big 10 championships, had played in the national championship game twice in that five-year span, and it had gone 12-1 the year before Meyer took over.

Meyer took the keys to an Enzo Ferrari, and regarding any problems he had at Florida, he was an Ohio boy coming home. Meyer used his name and abilities and kept the accelerator floored.

But he has a program to build at Texas, and a need to recruit at an elite level and do so quickly. And the negative recruiting by all the name programs that have gained a foothold in Texas recruiting is going to be relentless and brutal.

Every coach that recruits Texas is going to be telling recruits as well as their parents that they have a connection to Ohio State, and that Meyer covered up for a coach he knew was physically abusing his wife, and that it was a lot worse than ever got out on the news. And they're going to show recruits and their parents the game clip where Herbstreit comments that Meyer doesn't look well on the sidelines, and they're going to lie and say they hear on good word that Meyer's health is not good, that Texas is paying him a boatload of money to simply come in and reboot the program, and that he's not staying at Texas any more than three years, four at the most. If his health holds out that long, they'll say.

And there are going to be recruits that Texas wants, that Texas needs, who are going to listen to that, if for no other reason than they're going to get bombarded with it.

And if Meyer only stays at Texas three or four years, there are going to be a lot of pissed off people. Pissed off at Meyer. Pissed off at Texas.

And, sorry, to borrow from Tom Herman, it will be really hard for the replacement to fix that.

So if Meyer is asking for a 10-year deal, he's all in for that, right? Because if he's not, it could beautiful in the short term and ugly in the long run.
He took a 7-5 Florida team to a natty his 2nd year.

Reactions: EastTexasLonghorn
I don’t know....want Urban, but not confident he will coach again any time soon. Hope I’m wrong.
When you hear him talk on FOX, you can tell that a coach is literally WHO HE IS. It’s in the dudes DNA. I think he wants to coach again soon but it obviously has to be a family decision. He would turn this program around so fast.

When you hear him talk on FOX, you can tell that a coach is literally WHO HE IS. It’s in the dudes DNA. I think he wants to coach again soon but it obviously has to be a family decision. He would turn this program around so fast.

He is an alpha you know the thought of bringing a blue blood back to blue blood status gets him hard.

@Ketchum assuming the numbers are what you’re hearing and we’re talking 100 mil on Urban alone can you imagine what the assistant’s contracts and total staff numbers are going to look like?!

ADVERTISEMENT