ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A moment of great opportunity...)

@Ketchum If UM comes to Texas, who on the current staff stays? Ash is from the UM coaching tree and has done a credible job down the stretch.

There is no way, ever, that Messi ranks over Pelé in greatest footballers of all time.
Simply put, when it comes down to it, Messi has been a let down in World Cups, and Pelé led his team to 3 World Cups and 1 runner up in 4 appearances.
If you’re to be considered the second best of ALL TIME, World Cups will always carry a huge weight on where you rank for best of all time. And if you’re going to be the second best of all time, you figure out a way to lead your country’s team to greater things. He has not done that. One final (loss), a couple of quarterfinals and a first round loss. He’s a fantastic player - no doubt, Top 5 all time for sure, but he’s also played for a club team that has played a style absolutely perfect for his skills. It’ll be interesting to see how he does in a highly physical and fast paced league next year.

Side note; that tweeted video of a Maradona is good, but since you didn’t really get into deeply following the until 5 or so years ago, I highly recommend you head to HBO and watch “Diego Maradona”.
It’s truly crazy what he endured in life and even on the field at Napoli where other teams did all they could to get him off the field via fouls / injury.

This is why you make bigtime hires when you're a bigtime program. It's one thing to take a chance on an up and comer. Its another to keep doing it.

When you have a chance to make a bigtime move you take it. Worrying about optics doesn't count in sports. Just ask Jerry Jones how that worked out when he caved to the pressure and passed on Randy Moss.

Texas needs to win now. Everyone around them is kicking their asses one way or another. Texas football doesn't even matter in its own state, forget nationally. That can easily change pretty much overnight
Why in the world would ask Jerry about anything having to do with football? When it comes to winning football, he is the ultimate Village Idiot.

I’ve been on this board since the early 2000’s and the house of cards you’re building up here is epic and WWE worthy.

I’m not saying you’re the cause, but you’re the kindling. I understand it; posters click F5 and frantically read post after post, waiting for confirmation the messiah is coming to save the program, but it’s all a tease—a real estate agent looking for houses in Austin, a suggestion that no mention of Texas on a Fox pre/post game is meaningful, etc...it’s all a farce.

We haven’t even fired our current coach yet at a cost of over $15 million during a global pandemic where we just let go of a number of full-time athletic staff. That, in itself, is a monumental problem, much less spending another $80 to $100 million for one of the greatest coaches of all time.

I love Texas, I’m a second generation alum, but the expectations here are not realistic, IMO. And Ketch is just fueling the fire. Granted, I might too if I owned the site, but let me be the voice of reason and practicality—UM to Texas isn’t happening. Just trying to add some practicality to this nonsense, as some of us have been around here long enough to remember histoey

What are you basing this on? Gut feeling? Known source?

Ketchum said:
Cristobal is an upgrade...
(Buy) He'd immediately make Texas a threat for a top-five recruiting class in 2022. He's Tim Brewster in the form of a head coach.

That is awesome

Lol no way it’s a 10 year deal. 5-7 max, 11 or 12 per year.

All right, Meyer wants a 10-year deal. He's going to need it, so 10 years, $100 million, give it to him. Get him here.

Please tell me that in giving Meyer a 10-year deal, Texas isn't going to dilute that deal with the stupendously stupid move of telling Meyer, "Come in, get everything in place, get recruiting rolling, and after three years you can name your replacement and step aside."

Meyer won't be assuming anything resembling the job he took at Ohio State. When he accepted the job in 2011, Ohio State had won five straight Big 10 championships, had played in the national championship game twice in that five-year span, and it had gone 12-1 the year before Meyer took over.

Meyer took the keys to an Enzo Ferrari, and regarding any problems he had at Florida, he was an Ohio boy coming home. Meyer used his name and abilities and kept the accelerator floored.

But he has a program to build at Texas, and a need to recruit at an elite level and do so quickly. And the negative recruiting by all the name programs that have gained a foothold in Texas recruiting is going to be relentless and brutal.

Every coach that recruits Texas is going to be telling recruits as well as their parents that they have a connection to Ohio State, and that Meyer covered up for a coach he knew was physically abusing his wife, and that it was a lot worse than ever got out on the news. And they're going to show recruits and their parents the game clip where Herbstreit comments that Meyer doesn't look well on the sidelines, and they're going to lie and say they hear on good word that Meyer's health is not good, that Texas is paying him a boatload of money to simply come in and reboot the program, and that he's not staying at Texas any more than three years, four at the most. If his health holds out that long, they'll say.

And there are going to be recruits that Texas wants, that Texas needs, who are going to listen to that, if for no other reason than they're going to get bombarded with it.

And if Meyer only stays at Texas three or four years, there are going to be a lot of pissed off people. Pissed off at Meyer. Pissed off at Texas.

And, sorry, to borrow from Tom Herman, it will be really hard for the replacement to fix that.

So if Meyer is asking for a 10-year deal, he's all in for that, right? Because if he's not, it could beautiful in the short term and ugly in the long run.
The 10 year deal is perfect. Can’t be recruited against, gives Urban comfort of his own timeline. He isn’t leaving without becoming the first coach to win a title at 3 different schools.

Reactions: Austinbat1
I’ve been on this board since the early 2000’s and the house of cards you’re building up here is epic and WWE worthy.

I’m not saying you’re the cause, but you’re the kindling. I understand it; posters click F5 and frantically read post after post, waiting for confirmation the messiah is coming to save the program, but it’s all a tease—a real estate agent looking for houses in Austin, a suggestion that no mention of Texas on a Fox pre/post game is meaningful, etc...it’s all a farce.

We haven’t even fired our current coach yet at a cost of over $15 million during a global pandemic where we just let go of a number of full-time athletic staff. That, in itself, is a monumental problem, much less spending another $80 to $100 million for one of the greatest coaches of all time.

I love Texas, I’m a second generation alum, but the expectations here are not realistic, IMO. And Ketch is just fueling the fire. Granted, I might too if I owned the site, but let me be the voice of reason and practicality—UM to Texas isn’t happening. Just trying to add some practicality to this nonsense, as some of us have been around here long enough to remember histoey
You have no clue what’s happening.......gtfo

Reactions: UT Bondman
MInimal IMO. If it was going to be done, it would have been done in the last 48 hours.
Which is where CDC lacks. I get it he is great at what he does, and that is raising money and being a peoples AD. Being a blue blood AD means you make the call without thinking optics. I get he wants to get Urban, but to me (and Im in a Minority) but making a move right now would tell Urban how serious we are about getting back to the top. Not just putting the check, but as an AD you are making the call, “we are no longer putting up with mediocrity”.

Tom coming out tomorrow hurts recruiting more than it helps.

Well he must be talking to the same people. I don’t subscribe to any TOS
seh6p.gif

Which is where CDC lacks. I get it he is great at what he does, and that is raising money and being a peoples AD. Being a blue blood AD means you make the call without thinking optics. I get he wants to get Urban, but to me (and Im in a Minority) but making a move right now would tell Urban how serious we are about getting back to the top. Not just putting the check, but as an AD you are making the call, “we are no longer putting up with mediocrity”.

Tom coming out tomorrow hurts recruiting more than it helps.
We don’t know if Urban has been offered and is in the process of talking it over with his family. There will be a lot of moving parts for Urban should we land him, and until Friday, the thought of this happening was on the periphery, but not real. Now it’s real, and if Urban wants more than 48 hours to get his ducks aligned, get a physical (which I’m willing to bet Shelley will demand), cool. If he wants 10 years and $100 mil or 5 years and $60 mil, cool. Whatever it takes. Point is, we really don’t know where things stand. But it’s fun to speculate.

Reactions: donoseven
We don’t know if Urban has been offered and is in the process of talking it over with his family. There will be a lot of moving parts for Urban should we land him, and until Friday, the thought of this happening was on the periphery, but not real. Now it’s real, and if Urban wants more than 48 hours to get his ducks aligned, get a physical (which I’m willing to bet Shelley will demand), cool. If he wants 10 years and $100 mil or 5 years and $60 mil, cool. Whatever it takes. Point is, we really don’t know where things stand. But it’s fun to speculate.
Again, nothing to do with Urban in itself. Big time programs make big time moves and dont give 2 fks about timelines.

We may get Urban and we may get him on a 10-year deal, but to see him coaching more than 3 years or so here would be a shocker given his current history.

$100m vs perhaps $60m to $70m over the same period of time? You're only talking about a delta of maybe $3m per year for the alleged Urban price versus what we know it is likely to cost for second tier talent. What is it worth financially to start winning again? Having grown up in DFW as a Cowboys fan and watching two solid decades of mediocrity has meant that I hardly ever take my kid to Cowboys games and don't waste many Sundays watching them play. I'm not the only one. You can only hold onto a fan base for so long with promise, and a decade of mostly disappointing results is testing the limits before a lot of Texas fans tune out. What would it do for sales if Texas hires a throw it at the wall and see if it sticks coach after first the Charlie era and then the Herman era?

Lol no way it’s a 10 year deal. 5-7 max, 11 or 12 per year.
He wouldn't actually coach ten years, it would just allow him to get the guaranteed money he is looking for without the optics of paying him 11 or 12 per year.

Great write up ketch, appreciate it as always. I’ve got my popcorn and cocktail ready for the next week or 2. Have a great night looking forward to the podcasts this week

ADVERTISEMENT