ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A moment of great opportunity...)

How can you have any level of certainty that he’s coming or not coming? None of us know shit

to foreclose the possibility with no information just seems weird
Some people just have to be “that guy.” They can’t help it.

The $10MM X 10YR deal will probably add additional incentives, I would suggest:
$.5MM for in-season beat down of OU or $1.5MM for Conference Championship (1 or the other, not both, CCG assuming CFP)
+$3MM for a National Championship
Meaning a possible $15MM Total for a Natty.
Might be a little pricey, but we've only won 4. If he wins us 4 more in the next 10 years, or even 6, wouldn't it be worth it?

Chances Urban has had Ash on speed dial/text the past few weeks getting the lay of the land? You would think Ash would be going to bat to get Urban here otherwise he is likely gone.

Reactions: Cattledog100
That was a planned squib kick.
Because she didn't have the leg to kick it very far. I wonder how many women soccer players could put it out of the endzone. I wouldn't think very many. Could be wrong of course.

Why isn't a national championship winning head coach an option?
Perhaps you didn't think this through... there are only 6 active coaches with rings... Nick, Dabo, Ed O, Mack, Jimbo and Les... We know Nick and Dabo aren't coming through that door and I don't think we want Ed, Mack (no offense Mack), Jimbo or Les... right?

So who, other than Chizick or Meyer who are enjoying life after football, would you like to hire?

All right, Meyer wants a 10-year deal. He's going to need it, so 10 years, $100 million, give it to him. Get him here.

Please tell me that in giving Meyer a 10-year deal, Texas isn't going to dilute that deal with the stupendously stupid move of telling Meyer, "Come in, get everything in place, get recruiting rolling, and after three years you can name your replacement and step aside."

Meyer won't be assuming anything resembling the job he took at Ohio State. When he accepted the job in 2011, Ohio State had won five straight Big 10 championships, had played in the national championship game twice in that five-year span, and it had gone 12-1 the year before Meyer took over.

Meyer took the keys to an Enzo Ferrari, and regarding any problems he had at Florida, he was an Ohio boy coming home. Meyer used his name and abilities and kept the accelerator floored.

But he has a program to build at Texas, and a need to recruit at an elite level and do so quickly. And the negative recruiting by all the name programs that have gained a foothold in Texas recruiting is going to be relentless and brutal.

Every coach that recruits Texas is going to be telling recruits as well as their parents that they have a connection to Ohio State, and that Meyer covered up for a coach he knew was physically abusing his wife, and that it was a lot worse than ever got out on the news. And they're going to show recruits and their parents the game clip where Herbstreit comments that Meyer doesn't look well on the sidelines, and they're going to lie and say they hear on good word that Meyer's health is not good, that Texas is paying him a boatload of money to simply come in and reboot the program, and that he's not staying at Texas any more than three years, four at the most. If his health holds out that long, they'll say.

And there are going to be recruits that Texas wants, that Texas needs, who are going to listen to that, if for no other reason than they're going to get bombarded with it.

And if Meyer only stays at Texas three or four years, there are going to be a lot of pissed off people. Pissed off at Meyer. Pissed off at Texas.

And, sorry, to borrow from Tom Herman, it will be really hard for the replacement to fix that.

So if Meyer is asking for a 10-year deal, he's all in for that, right? Because if he's not, it could beautiful in the short term and ugly in the long run.

Man... sounds like we should probably just cancel Texas football altogether... I'm going to need a new hobby.

Lol no way it’s a 10 year deal. 5-7 max, 11 or 12 per year.
LOL at your LOL... IF he comes, I don't care if it's for 5-7 or until death do we part... we need this guy since Nick nor Dabo are walking through that door.

Which is where CDC lacks. I get it he is great at what he does, and that is raising money and being a peoples AD. Being a blue blood AD means you make the call without thinking optics. I get he wants to get Urban, but to me (and Im in a Minority) but making a move right now would tell Urban how serious we are about getting back to the top. Not just putting the check, but as an AD you are making the call, “we are no longer putting up with mediocrity”.

Tom coming out tomorrow hurts recruiting more than it helps.
Glad you're not in charge... CDC is literally hours away from saving the University $5M in buyout money. Just because you would do things differently doesn't mean you know what to do.

So in summary, it looks like the money terms being discussed for Urban is:

1). $10 mil/yr for 10 yrs, or
2). $12 mil/yr for 5 yrs

Among the two, I would think Urban's family would like the 5yr deal better. Its more money in a shorter time, where they can say comfortably "ok, u got 5 yrs, and then ur done forever" sort of family agreement. Not sure, if they would like the thought of Urban coaching another 10yrs if its true about his prior health issues.

I don’t think anything saves Herman, but the fact that there isn’t a viable option after Urban is a major problem. You don’t get Urban you are going to commit 5-6 years and $30m plus to another hope and prayer hire. There isn’t even a CTH type guy to go get right now

Respectfully disagree, there are several people id rather see on the sidelines more than Herman at this point. He is as toxic as you can get. I’d rather see Mario Cristobal, Hugh Freeze, Matt Campbell, Kate Upton or even Sally Struthers. Just about anybody but TH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT