ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A moment of great opportunity...)

2 Things:
1) It could be $10M for 10, but $8M could also be the number as it would be the highest number for a coach. Also, he may not want a 10 year commitment. We need to go with what he wants. He might just want a 5 year deal. Given his history, that would be more consistent.

2) Given our financial challenges from Covid happening during the South Endzone project and that we have a big buyout to pay, how much would season ticket holders be willing to help out? I would be willing to go an extra $500 year in donations. How about you? Stated differently, would you be willing to pay an extra $500 to start enjoying football on a regular basis?
1.Saban makes 9.3 this year.

2. That's a question CDC better know.

Thanks Ketch... any idea where the rumor that suggested the Nov 30 buyout is $20M vs. the Dec 1 buyout is $15M originated? People just making shit up?

If there's no magical reduction, I guess CDC is waiting to get his ducks in a row before ripping that band-aid off... I sure hope the planets align... we need Urban.
I think the thought was that Texas would owe three years of salary which was close to 20.

Then the USA Today put out the report that on 12/1 the buyout is $15,400,000, but that didn't mean that it dropped on that date, which is where the confusion came from.

I think the thought was that Texas would owe three years of salary which was close to 20.

Then the USA Today put out the report that on 12/1 the buyout is $15,400,000, but that didn't mean that it dropped on that date, which is where the confusion came from.

Thank You... you've earned your keep for today! ;-)

10. Eusebio
9. George Best
8. Zinedine Zidane
7. Franz Beckenbauer
6. Cristiano Ronaldo
5. Ronaldo
4. Johan Cruyff
3. Pele
2. Lionel Messi
1. Diego Maradona
No way. Maradona's brilliance was short-lived. Messi has been a god for over a decade. Obviously, since I have an Argentine wife and Argentine kids, I'm pro-anything Argentina. But Maradona's Maradona's greatness is heavily exaggerated. There is no question at one point, he was a football god. But, his top-end form was very short-lived. In 17 years with the National team, he played in 3 Copas & 4 WCs, making just 2 finals.

1979 Copa America
* 1 goal scored by Maradona against Bolivia. Shut out in the other 3 games.
* Argentina finished 3rd in group stage & were knocked out

1982 World Cup
* 2 goals scored, both against Hungary. Shut out in the other 4 games.
* Argentina was knocked out in the 2nd round, finishing last in their group with 0 points.

1983 Copa America
* Maradona was passed over

1986 World Cup
* 4 legitimate goals scored by Maradona. Shut out in 4 games, including the WC Final vs West Germany.
* Argentina won the WC

1987 Copa America
* 3 goals scored by Maradona against Peru & Ecuador in the first 2 games, then shut out the rest of the tournament
* Argentina won their group, then was knocked out by Uruguay in the next round.

1989 Copa America
* 0 goals scored by Maradona. He was shut out in all 7 games
* Argentina won their group, then was knocked out the next round.

1990 World Cup
* 0 goals scored by Maradona. He was shut out in all 7 games.
* Argentina finished runner-up to West Germany

1991 Copa America
* Maradona was suspended for drugs

1993 Copa America

1994 World Cup
* 1 goal scored by Maradona
* Maradona was suspended during the tournament for drugs

Maradona had exactly one good tournament in his entire career with the Argentine National Team. He played in 36 major tournament games for Argentina, scoring in just 8 of them, and getting shut out in 28. That means the great Maradona was shut out in 78% of the games he played for the Argentine national team. Only twice in 7 tournaments did he score more than 2 goals.

In the 1990 World Cup, Argentina was runner up scoring just 5 goals in 7 matches, including a loss to Camaroon. In 3 of 7 games, they scored zero goals, and needing penalty kicks to beat Italy, Romania, & Yugoslavia. Against Yugoslavia, Maradona missed a PK, almost costing Argentina the game. They were 2-3-2 with the great Diego Maradona scoring zero goals the entire tournament. And yet, they made it to the championship game.

There is no doubt Maradona is an incredible player. But, ONE good tournament in his entire career does not make him better than Messi, who has outclassed him on every single stage. He may not have a World Cup or Copa trophy, but he's done more to help his teams get in position to win than any Argentine before. In the 2015 Copa, he had 4 goals in the run up to the Final vs Chile. That game when to PKs. Messi made his, Higuain & Benega missed theirs. They lost. In the 2016 Copa, he had 5 goals & 4 assists in 6 games. In the Final, he played a beautiful pass to Higuain, who flat out whiffed from 7' out. Higuain then blew an incredible one-on-one breakaway vs Bravo. If Higuain doesn't screw up either golden opportunity, Argentina are Champions in regulation. It's not like Messi doesn't show up. 5 goals/assists in the 2014 World Cup, 4 goals/assists in the 2015 Copa, 9 goals/assists in the 2016 Copa. They make the Final of each tournament.

The other thing that bears mentioning is that Maradona's brilliance in 1986 fundamentally altered Argentine soccer for the worse. After that tournament, an emphasis was put on youth coaches pushing their best athletes into scoring positions. As such, the lesser players went into defense, center mid, etc. Watch any of the games from the 1986 WC. Argentina had an outstanding defense and played the ball forward well. Then, go watch all of the teams Messi has played on. All of the talent is up front. They are consistently poor in the defensive half.......not to mention Messi has had 9 National Team coaches in his 16 year career, which is absurd.

No way. Maradona's brilliance was short-lived. Messi has been a god for over a decade. Obviously, since I have an Argentine wife and Argentine kids, I'm pro-anything Argentina. But Maradona's Maradona's greatness is heavily exaggerated. There is no question at one point, he was a football god. But, his top-end form was very short-lived. In 17 years with the National team, he played in 3 Copas & 4 WCs, making just 2 finals.

1979 Copa America

1982 World Cup
* Argentina was knocked out in the 2nd round, finishing last in their group with 0 points.

1983 Copa America

1986 World Cup
* 4 legitimate goals scored by Maradona. Shut out in 4 games, including the WC Final vs West Germany.
* Argentina won the WC

1987 Copa America
* 3 goals scored by Maradona against Peru & Ecuador in the first 2 games, then shut out the rest of the tournament

1989 Copa America

1990 World Cup

1991 Copa America

1993 Copa America

1994 World Cup

Maradona had exactly one good tournament in his entire career with the Argentine National Team. He played in 36 major tournament games for Argentina, scoring in just 8 of them, and getting shut out in 28. That means the great Maradona was shut out in 78% of the games he played for the Argentine national team. Only twice in 7 tournaments did he score more than 2 goals.

In the 1990 World Cup, Argentina was runner up scoring just 5 goals in 7 matches, including a loss to Camaroon. In 3 of 7 games, they scored zero goals, and needing penalty kicks to beat Italy, Romania, & Yugoslavia. Against Yugoslavia, Maradona missed a PK, almost costing Argentina the game. They were 2-3-2 with the great Diego Maradona scoring zero goals the entire tournament. And yet, they made it to the championship game.

There is no doubt Maradona is an incredible player. But, ONE good tournament in his entire career does not make him better than Messi, who has outclassed him on every single stage. He may not have a World Cup or Copa trophy, but he's done more to help his teams get in position to win than any Argentine before. In the 2015 Copa, he had 4 goals in the run up to the Final vs Chile. That game when to PKs. Messi made his, Higuain & Benega missed theirs. They lost. In the 2016 Copa, he had 5 goals & 4 assists in 6 games. In the Final, he played a beautiful pass to Higuain, who flat out whiffed from 7' out. Higuain then blew an incredible one-on-one breakaway vs Bravo. If Higuain doesn't screw up either golden opportunity, Argentina are Champions in regulation. It's not like Messi doesn't show up. 5 goals/assists in the 2014 World Cup, 4 goals/assists in the 2015 Copa, 9 goals/assists in the 2016 Copa. They make the Final of each tournament.

The other thing that bears mentioning is that Maradona's brilliance in 1986 fundamentally altered Argentine soccer for the worse. After that tournament, an emphasis was put on youth coaches pushing their best athletes into scoring positions. As such, the lesser players went into defense, center mid, etc. Watch any of the games from the 1986 WC. Argentina had an outstanding defense and played the ball forward well. Then, go watch all of the teams Messi has played on. All of the talent is up front. They are consistently poor in the defensive half.......not to mention Messi has had 9 National Team coaches in his 16 year career, which is absurd.
so, let's see your top 10!

1979 Copa America

1982 World Cup

1983 Copa America

1986 World Cup
* Argentina won the WC

1987 Copa America

1989 Copa America

1990 World Cup

1991 Copa America

1993 Copa America

1994 World Cup

I can't believe you wrote that much on a Longhorn Football message board. Dude, YOU are committed!

Reactions: Rickstacopy
so, let's see your top 10!
1. Lionel Messi
2. Pelé
3. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. Maradona
5. Zidane
6. Johan Cruyff
7. Ronaldo
8. Alfredo di Stéfano
9. Ronaldinho
10. really not sure who I'd put here

1. Lionel Messi
2. Pelé
3. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. Maradona
5. Zidane
6. Johan Cruyff
7. Ronaldo
8. Alfredo di Stéfano
9. Ronaldinho
10. really not sure who I'd put here
and your answer to the question I've been dealing with... his lack of international success with country?

I can't believe you wrote that much on a Longhorn Football message board. Dude, YOU are committed!
I have pretty close to a photographic memory for data. So, my brain is full of the most random (and often, worthless) details. Most of what I type, while long-ish, doesn't actually take much time, because it flows from memory.

Didn’t read through the whole thread, but how does a 10 year contract make sense — either for Meyer or for The University — for a guy who’s wife doesn’t want him to coach anymore, who has a health question mark, and who has never coached at any one place that long in the past before getting burned out and/or looking for greener pastures?

Didn’t read through the whole thread, but how does a 10 year contract make sense — either for Meyer or for The University — for a guy who’s wife doesn’t want him to coach anymore, who has a health question mark, and who has never coached at any one place that long in the past before getting burned out and/or looking for greener pastures?

Agree that you did not read through the thread. 10 years is not an expectation from anyone as far as his tenure as a coach, just the longer the contract the less likely it can be used as a cudgel on the recruiting trail.

The new bar was set with Jimbo's contract. I'm not sure anyone would expect him to go the full 10, but it keeps questions about the end from occurring almost as soon as he starts.

I see Ketch still buys the Herman narrative of “CDC didn’t do enough soon enough” for the eyes. Then whiffs on the comp piece and plays morality card.

Meyer will not commit to a ten year contract. He will command more than Jimbo annually with a shorter term.

Thom Herman has an overall record of 30-18? That is pretty much a mediocre record or maybe just a little bit better to say the least. Sorry but at the University of Texas we don't reward people with big fat multi million dollar contracts for mediocrity. We just don't. That is not in our orangebloods DNA. That is why even Mack Brown was eventually given the ole heave ho. We pay UT head coaches to put their sports teams in position to win Big 12 championships and to make the college playoffs. As unfair as it may be, and it is to be clear, somewhat unfair, those are the expectations that we have at UT. Like it as not unfortunately that is just the way it is and has been for a long time now.
Simply put big time college football is just like the NFL in the sense that it is very much a results oriented, "what have you done for me lately", "you are only as good as your last performance" type of league especially when it come to the University of Texas. As far as I am concerned and the way I look at it from my perspective, is that Tom Herman is the Jason Garrett of big 12 and college football. The bottom line...... Tom Herman is who his record says he is.
The chances of things getting any better anytime the next few years is highly unlikely to happen. I just hope that CDC decides to not to pull a Jerry Jones and keep a coach around endlessly and needlessly who never seems to be able to transcend his already mediocre coaching record. To be honest with you I don't exactly relish the idea of having to live the next couple of years in Football purgatory like I did for about the last four or five seasons of Jason's Garrett's tenure as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. It really sucked. I don't want to go through that again.

Last edited:
I see Ketch still buys the Herman narrative of “CDC didn’t do enough soon enough” for the eyes. Then whiffs on the comp piece and plays morality card.
I see you apparently still live in a fantasy world where CDC acted in a timely manner and needs not to assume any responsibility.

I find international play to be wanting.
The knockout stages of WC and the Euros are the most passionate events I have ever attended. It is also when the best national teams find just enough chemistry. They will never play like the well oiled club machines of Pep and your boy Klopp, but the talent is on full display and unlike club the effort is 110%.

Won’t the conference have something to say about it?

That will also be the final college game for several players on both sides. Unless Covid is the reason, I can’t see it just being cancelled because they don’t feel up to it.
Call it the Cosmi principle.

ADVERTISEMENT