ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A weekend UT football could have done without...)

It's myopic to believe that if Ingram catches that ball, it means Texas wins that game.

I hope you're not walking around carrying that on your mind for months.

If Ingram catches the ball and Orlando does not blitz on 3d-17. it is very likely that Texas would have won that game. Mistakes like that cost games, but that is how close we were to beating the LSU team that had five first rounders.

Reactions: Marshall07
If Ingram catches the ball and Orlando does not blitz on 3d-17. it is very likely that Texas would have won that game. Mistakes like that cost games, but that is how close we were to beating the LSU team that had five first rounders.
Very likely, huh?

And quite honestly, Trent Dilfer, whatever he wants to claim about being misquoted, comes off like an idiot trying to make ANY statement as such.

Welcome to the way the world actually exists. That thing that's bothering you...

It's called the truth.

Like most of us, you have a hard time finding any fault with yourself. But this column did not have to be written the way it was. I think it likely that you hurt Texas' chances of landing some ot the blue chips who are considering SEC schools. I don't believe that is an appropriate use of this site, nor what we all pay our subscriptions for.

Last edited:
Anyways, my eyes tell me Tua has a big-time arm that can make big-time NFL throws.

I don't need anyone else to tell me anything, but I appreciate Trent Dilfer having my back.

LOL

Ok Bohls, I mean Ketchum.

When momentum is already down and every kid who is in your Top 100 subscribes here, that’s what you write?

I’m not naive to think everything is fine, but damn man, we are dead already!

Every kid subscribes? LOL

Reactions: Rickstacopy
Well, couldn't we say that about any quarterback playing in that shitty 2018 offense?
The NFL analysts look at every tiny detail about a player. They are the true experts in evaluating talent and they all viewed Burrow as an exceptional talent that fit the NFL model for a great quarterback. He may struggle because of the talent around him, however.

It's myopic to believe that if Ingram catches that ball, it means Texas wins that game.

I hope you're not walking around carrying that on your mind for months.

That was in response to the specific post. I was giving examples of things that "could have" gone our way one direction. But, they didn't. Many things could have happened last season, as in any season, that would have changed it around for better or worse.

I don't think you can single out Sam's "we're back" declaration as something he should forever regret, though it may have been ill-advised.

And quite honestly, Trent Dilfer, whatever he wants to claim about being misquoted, comes off like an idiot trying to make ANY statement as such.
I've got some issues with Tua that I think are concerning, but 6-0 quarterbacks don't go in the top 5 without rockets for arms.

It's the least worrisome thing for me about him. I've seen him make enough laser throws to feel good about that part of his tool set.

Like most of us, you have a hard time finding any fault with yourself. But this column did not have to be written the way it was. I think it likely that you hurt Texas' chances of landing some ot the blue chips who are considering SEC schools. I don't believe that is an appropriate use of this site, nor what we all pay our subscriptions for.
You think it'll be my column that ends up doing the most damage?

I'm not sure that there's any use in my continuing with you in this. Nothing I can say is going to change your mind. Thanks for bringing the clarity I needed into the equation.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
The NFL analysts look at every tiny detail about a player. They are the true experts in evaluating talent and they all viewed Burrow as an exceptional talent that fit the NFL model for a great quarterback. He may struggle because of the talent around him, however.
It's the damn Bengals, man.

That was in response to the specific post. I was giving examples of things that "could have" gone our way one direction. But, they didn't. Many things could have happened last season, as in any season, that would have changed it around for better or worse.

I don't think you can single out Sam's "we're back" declaration as something he should forever regret, though it may have been ill-advised.
Just for the record, I've never singled Sam moment out like that.

Well, couldn't we say that about any quarterback playing in that shitty 2018 offense?
Sure.

The question then would be what would the margin be on results from those other QB's who played in that offense with that group of players?

He's not elite physically. He doesn't have an elite arm. He doesn't have elite speed. He MIGHT be elite mentally. I think he's probably an A+ teammate and leader.

We'll see. I like to see good guys succeed an he seems to be a very good human being.

This is what I got out of Ketch's ten thoughts: Why am I even bothering donating money and having season tickets if our program is going to be stuck in the land of mediocrity due to the overwhelming dominance of the SEC. I'm not disagreeing at all with Ketch or being sarcastic. Big decisions by the people that run ESPN, NCAA and all the conferences combined with horrible decisions made by our BOR, President and ADs have produced this fate. Our next NC, if there ever is one, will be by pure luck. Draft shows we just don't have the players to compete and might not be able to compete for the 5 stars from here on out.

I've got some issues with Tua that I think are concerning, but 6-0 quarterbacks don't go in the top 5 without rockets for arms.

It's the least worrisome thing for me about him. I've seen him make enough laser throws to feel good about that part of his tool set.

You should really back off that narrative because it's a bad one. You've now used two descriptions of Tua's arm strength that literally nobody else has.

That was the most draft coverage I've watched in years. Was it because I was stuck at home with no sports to watch? Maybe, but I really enjoyed watching the players, coaches, GMs, and families reacting from their homes.

Reactions: eyes_of_texasb21
Sure.

The question then would be what would the margin be on results from those other QB's who played in that offense with that group of players?

He's not elite physically. He doesn't have an elite arm. He doesn't have elite speed. He MIGHT be elite mentally. I think he's probably an A+ teammate and leader.

We'll see. I like to see good guys succeed an he seems to be a very good human being.
Like I said, I'm not sold on him, either.

Reactions: drizzew
This is what I got out of Ketch's ten thoughts: Why am I even bothering donating money and having season tickets if our program is going to be stuck in the land of mediocrity due to the overwhelming dominance of the SEC. I'm not disagreeing at all with Ketch or being sarcastic. Big decisions by the people that run ESPN, NCAA and all the conferences combined with horrible decisions made by our BOR, President and ADs have produced this fate. Our next NC, if there ever is one, will be by pure luck. Draft shows we just don't have the players to compete and might not be able to compete for the 5 stars from here on out.
I don't think it's that gloom and doom, but there is a real urgency in the moment that something has to start happening to change the momentum of things very soon.

There's a cumulative impact that you have to stop if you're Texas.

That was the most draft coverage I've watched in years. Was it because I was stuck at home with no sports to watch? Maybe, but I really enjoyed watching the players, coaches, GMs, and families reacting from their homes.
+1

They will want to find a way to take some of what was forced on them and use it in the future when it isn't forced on them.

Reactions: ToadHallGangster
@RLong68 you're telling me that you've never watched him in a game and been impressed with his arm?

LSU and Alabama are NFL factories and that makes an enormous difference.

The way to change the factories is quite simple. Beat them, we had our chance in 2019 with LSU. What if Texas would have won the game? Well we have LSU on our schedule next year, BEAT THEM, The NFL draft gods will follow trust me

Reactions: wfoot and bbussell1
from his NFL.com scouting report... the first one I looked at.

94428407_244079546950889_9166960561999577088_n.jpg

So does Ryan Tannehill.

@RLong68 you're telling me that you've never watched him in a game and been impressed with his arm?

I think he throws a nice deep ball because A) he usually has all the time in the world
B) he's accurate C) his peeps are usually wide open.

I think Baker Mayfield has more arm talent than him and I never in the world would have taken him that high in the draft. I might be wrong on all the guys mentioned, but I just don't see it. He may be good, but Tua not winning you anything. I could see Burrow not panning out either, and that's tough to say because he was so good this year.

Ketch - I wonder if there is a potential recruiting advantage for the Horns around financial strength of the program/athletic department?

Maybe not against the very top programs, but against some second tier programs?

I just saw Anwar's note about Kansas AD. Self & Miles taking pay cuts which spurred the thought. Now as a recruit, I might not be too concerned that Les Miles is Making $3.2M vs. $3.5M (just made up those numbers). But I could be concerned that if Les Miles is taking a pay cut, that might mean that they are cutting back in other areas that will more directly effect me and my development/success in their program.

ADVERTISEMENT