ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A weekend UT football could have done without...)

That’s where I’m at, wouldn’t it make sense to start practicing earlier since the heat is supposed to help keep it away. Then as fall starts we can see where Covid19 is heading before making a decision. If they wait until fall there’s a chance of no games being played.
I think the summer heat is just viewed as too dangerous.

And we all said the same thing about Mayfield and here is what he looked like in 2019 ...

Baker Mayfield #6 QB

TDS: 22

INT: 21

RTG: 78.8
I'm not sure I said the same things about Mayfield.

And we all said the same thing about Mayfield and here is what he looked like in 2019 ...

Baker Mayfield #6 QB

TDS: 22

INT: 21

RTG: 78.8

I want to make this point ...

I'm not saying that I think Burrows or Tua aren't good QBs with a reasonable chance of having successful NFL careers. What I am saying is that no position on the field benefits more on draft day from having great players all around them than the QB position. Virtually no QB (just ask Tom Brady) looks good when they are running for their lives or throwing to receivers that aren't open.

Reactions: boernefan
Your column about development of talent was in bad taste because it will only remind recruits as to what happened in the past and possibly have a second thought. I believe Herb will develop players, and I hope we get Blake`s kids.

Texas has some major decisions to make in the coming years. They are going to have decide if they want to be a Vanderbilt or do they really care about football.

In what way, shape, or form would Texas football be comparable to Vanderbilt football? That's a little bit of a stretch even for you.

Reactions: HuffTex
I hold out hope if this coaching staff does their job because the previous staff took the LSU team with all the NFL team down to the wire. I know LSU improved but they were also very lucky to escape a rash of injuries that the Horns didn't. The unknow of what this season holds is going to be very telling to this staff and Team

I agree that we were right there with LSU and could have won the game with a break or two (especially 3rd and 17). But injuries especially to Sam cost us easily 2 - 3 wins as we all know. That would have been a game changer. The Horns have to win the Big 12 or play in the championship game and win to change things recruiting wise. I think this happens with the new coaching staff and our Senior All-American Quarterback.

Reactions: EG-man
If Ingram catches the ball and Orlando does not blitz on 3d-17. it is very likely that Texas would have won that game. Mistakes like that cost games, but that is how close we were to beating the LSU team that had five first rounders.

Only someone being intentionally unreasonable would deny that the LSU game was most definitely a winnable game.

I want to make this point ...

I'm not saying that I think Burrows or Tua aren't good QBs with a reasonable chance of having successful NFL careers. What I am saying is that no position on the field benefits more on draft day from having great players all around them than the QB position. Virtually no QB (just ask Tom Brady) looks good when they are running for their lives or throwing to receivers that aren't open.
That's fair to say the least.

Your column about development of talent was in bad taste because it will only remind recruits as to what happened in the past and possibly have a second thought. I believe Herb will develop players, and I hope we get Blake`s kids.
My column?

but who is saying what you suggested someone was saying?
It said it on the title of the Greg Brown video, and Dustin has said it numerous times. I mean, I guess it is subjective, and though I love Greg Brown's dunking, I don't consider it Zion-level...caveat...whose is?

It said it on the title of the Greg Brown video, and Dustin has said it numerous times. I mean, I guess it is subjective, and though I love Greg Brown's dunking, I don't consider it Zion-level...caveat...whose is?
It's a kissing cousin of that level.

Reactions: HuffTex
Teddy Riley's Top 10

10. Blackstreet's "Before I Let You Go"
9. Guy's "Teddy's Jam"
8. SWV's "Right Here"
7. Bobby Brown's "Every Little Step"
6. Hi-Five's "I Like The Way"
5. Wreckx-N-Effect's "Rump Shaker"
4. Keith Sweat's "I Want Her"
3. Blackstreet's "No Diggity"
2. Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative"
1. Michael Jackson's “Remember the Time”

Babyface's Top 10

10. Babyface's "When Can I see You Again"
9. Whitney Houston's "I'm Your Baby Tonight"
8. Karyn White's "Superwoman"
7. Bobby Brown's "Rock Witcha"
6. Mary J. Blige's "Not Gon' Cry"
5. Toni Braxton's “Love Shoulda Brought You Home”
4. The Whispers' "Rock Steady"
3. Tevin Campbell's "Can We Talk"
2. Bobby Brown's "Don't Be Cruel"
1. Boyz II Men's "End of the Road"

This is a tough call. "Remember The Time" is my favorite Michael Jackson song of all-time, while End of the Road is the mountaintop of mid90s R&B. Choosing between the best of Bobby Brown isn't easy. It's almost impossible to compare the two. If I want to bop in the car, I'm going with Riley, but if I'm in a slow-jam mood, give me Face.

Pound for pound when looking at each song in each Top 10, I think I have to give the edge to ... Riley

Botton line - If I could only listen to one of those lists for the rest of my life and the other list could never be listened to again, I'd take Riley's list on the desert island.
you nailed it
hqdefault.jpg

I'm not sure I said the same things about Mayfield.

I for sure don't remember what you said about Mayfield, but a whole ton of people said the same about him and he did go #1 in the draft with everybody sucking his you know what. And he is finding out that it is a wee dab harder to look like a super star QB playing in the NFL for the Browns than playing for OU surrounded by vastly superior talent to most of the defenses he faced. And Burrows and Tua stand a good chance of having the same experience.

Reactions: EG-man
I for sure don't remember what you said about Mayfield, but a whole ton of people said the same about him and he did go #1 in the draft with everybody sucking his you know what. And he is finding out that it is a wee dab harder to look like a super star QB playing in the NFL for the Browns than playing for OU surrounded by vastly superior talent to most of the defenses he faced. And Burrows and Tua stand a good chance of having the same experience.
I mean... yeah... the NFL is hard.

Not that many people were into the Teddy Riley/Baby face debate. Lesson learned.

@Ketchum I appreciate the * rating draft results. So, when everybody goes crazy about Bama and LSU (this year) and OSU and Clemson drafting so many players, its not about development....at all! Someone needs to highlight that 5* recruits go high in the draft no matter where they played college ball. It's just that the $EC and the other two recruiting juggernauts are recruiting more 5* and high 4* players. For example: Texas had 3 players drafted in the first 5 rounds. None of which were 5*s. Let's see how we do "%-wise" when Bijan and Ja Tavion Sanders are up for the draft. Another example, if Bama has a bunch of 5* and high 4* in the draft then of course they're gonna have high draft numbers. But I get the point that we need to develop well until we can recruit more 5*.

@Ketchum I appreciate the * rating draft results. So, when everybody goes crazy about Bama and LSU (this year) and OSU and Clemson drafting so many players, its not about development....at all! Someone needs to highlight that 5* recruits go high in the draft no matter where they played college ball. It's just that the $EC and the other two recruiting juggernauts are recruiting more 5* and high 4* players. For example: Texas had 3 players drafted in the first 5 rounds. None of which were 5*s. Let's see how we do "%-wise" when Bijan and Ja Tavion Sanders are up for the draft. Another example, if Bama has a bunch of 5* and high 4* in the draft then of course they're gonna have high draft numbers. But I get the point that we need to develop well until we can recruit more 5*.
Both Duvernay and Brandon Jones were borderline five stars.

Both Duvernay and Brandon Jones were borderline five stars.
Borderline? Didn't see "borderline" in your chart. ;) But even if we split hairs on that, I think my premise is still valid. Bama, etc. get more credit for draft numbers then they are due. They just recruit well and win with more 5*s....Not sure about much development. So, why should recruits give them credit for draft numbers? It's a myth imho.

But the chicken and egg (recruiting/draft pics/winning) situation still exists for Texas.

Reactions: boernefan
Borderline? Didn't see "borderline" in your chart. ;) But even if we split hairs on that, I think my premise is still valid. Bama, etc. get more credit for draft numbers then they are due. They just recruit well and win with more 5*s....Not sure about much development. So, why should recruits give them credit for draft numbers? It's a myth imho.

But the chicken and egg (recruiting/draft pics/winning) situation still exists for Texas.
The 6.0 tier of four stares performs at incredibly higher levels than the mid and low four stars.

Sometimes it's a 2:1 outperformance.

Those two tiers are the tiers that matter in college football the most.

It's why I'm dismissive of any recruiting class that doesn't have enough of those inside a shiny national ranking.

The 6.0 tier of four stares performs at incredibly higher levels than the mid and low four stars.

Sometimes it's a 2:1 outperformance.

Those two tiers are the tiers that matter in college football the most.

It's why I'm dismissive of any recruiting class that doesn't have enough of those inside a shiny national ranking.
Agreed. So the premise is still intact, just a matter of degrees.

ADVERTISEMENT