ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A wild ride down memory lane)

Originally posted by Flash1978:
If Melo joins Kobe on the Lakers, I pity the other players on the team. They may never get to shoot.
Kobe may never get to shoot. A team with Carmelo Anthony on it will never win the big one. Basketball is a team game not a "look at me I'm so great" game.

Or as my then 2 year old daughter used to call them when a song of theirs would come on the radio: the chicks with dicks!

What a memorable month and kudos to you all. I know vindication is a sweet and a big relief. Proud of the work you all did. Funny how dramatically different the site is today versus a month ago. The tone has turned into recruiting instead of bashing the MODS. The attacks from other sites seems to have lessened. Victory to you all.

I really like Hill, seems very explosive and would help lessen the sting of losing Alaka.

As for the Dixie Chicks, I was wondering where the "The Long Way Around" would rank for you?

That was a painful ride down memory lane and brought back all the frustration that was associated with it for me. But as I read it I realized how big it was for the OB staff and I can respect wanting to document it once more. Still felt like hearing a 9/11 joke a month after at times. But thanks?!?!

Couldn't agree more on Lone Survivor. I can't remember a movie that's taken that much out of me. Having Marcus in the movie was a nice touch too. Especially when he rolled his eyes at the Rules of Engagement.

Thanks Ketch

I think in part we lost Alaka in part due to our recent terrible D-line recruiting---LB`s want to play behind a strong D-line.

Thought part of anger/resentment vs Dixie Chicks---was that they enjoyed doing this overseas where they happened to be touring. Many people in both parties have always felt it was for worse to be critical of your country on foreign soil.

I also remember many entertainment groups against the 1st Gulf War...

It was bad enough o live through that once. I wasn't going to read it, but the self-injurious side of me took over. After last night's mess in recruiting, I went from feeling crappy to feeling REALLY crappy.

Yeah, maybe Charlie will end up being a great recruiter, but as far as consistently beating aggy in recruiting, that horse has let the barn. Ags are loaded on O, have a very young D that is slowly improving, and is now recruiting stud D players. The wishful thinking of Hornz fans as to the ags' demise now that JFF has left is simply BS. Ags will continue to recruit well; Texas needs to stop worrying about head to heads and simply get the best players it can. They'll win some and lose some to the ags, but as long as Sumlin is coach and they remain in the SEC while Texas remains in the Big XII, ags aren't going anywhere but up. They'll soon be competing for SEC West championships, as we will do in the Big XII. Look, Florida has three prime timers, and all three recruit just fine. Texas now has two (and a half, if you count Baylor), and the Hornz will be fine, too.

But it is obvious that another mediocre year will hurt, and I don't see 9 wins on the schedule. Charlie has to do a great job recruiting for 2015 and hope he gets a few surprises before signing day this year. I am cautiously optimistic... VERY cautiously.

As for Barnes, let's talk in early March. Taylor will hit a wall (all frosh do), and we'll see where that leads. Kudos to the team for what it's done thus far, and I just forked over 200 bucks for two tix for Saturday, so I hope we beat Kansas. But to think that this team, under RB, can go deep into the big dance.... well, here's hoping.

Hook 'em!!!

Originally posted by cdunagan051:
"Her" will shoot up on your list once you see it.
How high do you think it goes? It's on my to-do-list for this wee. It's next.

Originally posted by Gus McCrea:
My God...lol...might read over the course of 12 poops.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yeah, I wrote a small chapter of a book this week. I didn't mean for it to turn out into a novel.
innocent0006.r191677.gif

Originally posted by GHornderson:
I really like Hill, seems very explosive and would help lessen the sting of losing Alaka.

As for the Dixie Chicks, I was wondering where the "The Long Way Around" would rank for you?
I'd say it was in the next five in the 16-20 range.

Originally posted by BRHornz:
It was bad enough o live through that once. I wasn't going to read it, but the self-injurious side of me took over. After last night's mess in recruiting, I went from feeling crappy to feeling REALLY crappy.

Yeah, maybe Charlie will end up being a great recruiter, but as far as consistently beating aggy in recruiting, that horse has let the barn. Ags are loaded on O, have a very young D that is slowly improving, and is now recruiting stud D players. The wishful thinking of Hornz fans as to the ags' demise now that JFF has left is simply BS. Ags will continue to recruit well; Texas needs to stop worrying about head to heads and simply get the best players it can. They'll win some and lose some to the ags, but as long as Sumlin is coach and they remain in the SEC while Texas remains in the Big XII, ags aren't going anywhere but up. They'll soon be competing for SEC West championships, as we will do in the Big XII. Look, Florida has three prime timers, and all three recruit just fine. Texas now has two (and a half, if you count Baylor), and the Hornz will be fine, too.

But it is obvious that another mediocre year will hurt, and I don't see 9 wins on the schedule. Charlie has to do a great job recruiting for 2015 and hope he gets a few surprises before signing day this year. I am cautiously optimistic... VERY cautiously.

As for Barnes, let's talk in early March. Taylor will hit a wall (all frosh do), and we'll see where that leads. Kudos to the team for what it's done thus far, and I just forked over 200 bucks for two tix for Saturday, so I hope we beat Kansas. But to think that this team, under RB, can go deep into the big dance.... well, here's hoping.

Hook 'em!!!
hA98BA726

The right wing crucified the Dixie Chicks the same way they cry about the left crucifying Phil Robertson. Classic case of hypocrisy.

Take this in the jest which it is meant, but you just used two get out of jail free cards out of that ten and I don't need to tell you which two. You've earned at least two though, so we're good. Single worst music selection you've ever made, by a mile. You deserve the beating you're getting. ; )

Otherwise, on Her, you'll be debating it for number two. Phoenix does a great job carrying a film in which he's in every scene, basically responding to a voice, as if he's on the phone for almost an entire movie. Found it really interesting once I really started pondering all the elements of the movie. That's all I'll say since you haven't seen it.

For the Natalie Maines haters out there... is there anything else other than those comments about Bush that drives your hate? You realize she's one of us, right? She's a West Texas girl living in Austin. Not like she was born in Connecticut.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by LongAus:
That blurb from Chip regarding that Friday was hard to read, I can't imagine what he felt like that night.
Same. I know how I felt and I imagine it was 10 times worse for him. I don't think I'll ever see a reaction anything like the one we saw that night.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by robtex81:
Some people on this board need to enhance their calm about this recruiting class. Many are sounding like texags. We are Texas; we'll be back. I do not want to emulate aggy in any way nor do I envy them. Finally. we all have a right to our opinion. Mine is: I am ashamed Maines is from Texas.
a. Totally agree about the recruiting point.

b. I hope you ashamed-ness doesn't center on a single overplayed, originally misquoted comment from a decade ago. That would be quite an ashamed grudge.
Amen on part b, amen. Get over "it" already. She's a talented musician. Great piece in Texas Monthly last year on the group's demise. Outstanding read.

Great call with Travelin Solder. You ever had the pleasure of getting to see Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis perform it together? That is music.

Great call with Travelin Solder. You ever had the pleasure of getting to see Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis perform it together? That is music.

Originally posted by atex720:
Love those two performing together.

Natalie Maines killed her own career. Sucks for her but that is life. I too am embarrassed that someone is from Texas, and that someone is certainly not George Bush.

Nice words on Lamarcus. Obviously playing with Lilliard helps stretch defenses but I think having Lopez at the 5 has made the biggest impact. Also great to DJ Augustine getting a second chance in Chicago.

Originally posted by Oilfield:
Natalie Maines killed her own career. Sucks for her but that is life. I too am embarrassed that someone is from Texas, and that someone is certainly not George Bush.
th

Originally posted by Baron King:
Nice words on Lamarcus. Obviously playing with Lilliard helps stretch defenses but I think having Lopez at the 5 has made the biggest impact. Also great to DJ Augustine getting a second chance in Chicago.
I wish I had picked up Augustin on waivers in fantasy. He's filled in nicely after being left professionally for dead to a degree.

For the Natalie Maines haters out there... is there anything else other than those comments about Bush that drives your hate? You realize she's one of us, right? She's a West Texas girl living in Austin. Not like she was born in Connecticut.
wink.r191677.gif
I thought it was more about what she said about America and not being proud to be an American. Like Hanoi Jane and Michelle saying she had never been proud to be an American.

I could care less what she said about Bush - everybody takes shots at him.

I would save your time and money, unless you love movies about sad sack 40 year old boys.

Originally posted by Sacred Crow:

Originally posted by Texas8412:

Good stuff. Two points:
It's just football.
The Dixie chicks can go to hell.
I tried to formulate a response that didn't include the accusation that you are probably an uneducated, ignorant hick who has no concept of the genius of our constitution. I wasn't successful. So, I'll just tell you to "have a nice day".
I'm going to save that response-brilliant. Saw the Chicks at the Spoke around 1990 and have been a fan ever since. The same guys on here who are criticizing Natalie for voicing a political opinion are the same ones who say "Obama is not my president." Funny how that works. Ketch- great summary. I missed that Vegas had Strong as 2-1 from the start- they are always smarter than me!!

Originally posted by cashthompson:

I would save your time and money, unless you love movies about sad sack 40 year old boys.
Damn, didn't touch the soft spot in your soul, huh?

Speaking of the aftermath of that week or two time period, what's the status of the Bellmont information ministers like Nick Voinis? Staying? Leaving? Hadn't seen anybody address Bellmont personnel moves in a while, but I could have missed something. Great writeup this week.

ADVERTISEMENT