ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A wild ride down memory lane)

Ketch, I hope your Genesis list stops at "A Trick of the Tail." :)

Seriously, the Gabiel-era Genesis was transcendant. Collins-era Genesis was excellent but not transcendant. imo, it's like comparing Seth Joyner with Lawrence Taylor. One was an excellent linebacker and the other was the g.o.a.t. at lb.

sir, go back and listen to Genesis' early material. A good start would be Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, followed by Wind & Wuthering and Trespass. Then get back to me about your top 2 list :)

Genesis' later work is really really good. It's pop. Early Genesis is totally different music.

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (A wild ride down memory lan

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by Nasty D:

What is the definition of "turned around'? It took Mack until his 6th season to achieve a spot in a major bowl. It wasn't until his 7th season that he one the conference. 10 wins? Conference Championship? BCS? MNC?

Strong will have at least 4 unless he goes Mike Leach on someone.

Next year could be decent if he gets some luck but he will need a lot of luck with our QB situation.
I could see this place going Notre Dame on Strong if he's not in a BCS bowl at the end of three. This place is still fairly volcanic.
Ketch,

Is Strong set up to fell?

It feels like this thing could go sideways in a hurry, especially the way Patterson placated the BMDs....

What is the definition of "turned around'? It took Mack until his 6th season to achieve a spot in a major bowl. It wasn't until his 7th season that he one the conference. 10 wins? Conference Championship? BCS? MNC?

Next year could be decent if he gets some luck but he will need a lot of luck with our QB situation.
I could see this place going Notre Dame on Strong if he's not in a BCS bowl at the end of three. This place is still fairly volcanic.

Ketch,

It feels like this thing could go sideways in a hurry, especially the way Patterson placated the BMDs....
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not "Ketch," but I do not think CS is set up to fail, it is just the situation as Ketch laid-out. There is so much that happened behind the scenes, so many that feel burned or not heard, such a tight spot or window for CS in the way of recruiting this year, so much talent being pulled farther away-including our neigbors in the SEC, so much more "competition in the Big 12" and there just seems to be a deflating of the prowess of our Texas that these things have transpired to put CS between a rock and a hard place. I will say this, if CS can turn this around and get Texas to a BCS game by year three, then he deserves a raise before year four and will have exceeded all expectations. And, will have made Patterson, for Texas, a tenured status.

Originally posted by Jack87:

Ketch,

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not "Ketch," but I do not think CS is set up to fail, it is just the situation as Ketch laid-out. There is so much that happened behind the scenes, so many that feel burned or not heard, such a tight spot or window for CS in the way of recruiting this year, so much talent being pulled farther away-including our neigbors in the SEC, so much more "competition in the Big 12" and there just seems to be a deflating of the prowess of our Texas that these things have transpired to put CS between a rock and a hard place. I will say this, if CS can turn this around and get Texas to a BCS game by year three, then he deserves a raise before year four and will have exceeded all expectations. And, will have made Patterson, for Texas, a tenured status.
agree for the most part.

Originally posted by coolhandfish:

Ketch,

Have you seen Out of the Furnace with Woody Harrelson and Christian Bale. Would be in my top movies for the year and there are some Oscar type performances in there. I know that it hasn't gotten the accolades, but it was a damn good movie.
Haven't seen it. Is it in theaters or DVD or in-between?
In between at the moment. WH is awesome in it as well as Casey Affleck.

Originally posted by SkullSplitter:

1.) Barnes has had a strong season thus far, but I've seen far too many late-season flops from this guy to get too excited. This game vs. Kansas will be one of the most important of his career. The North Carolina win has lost a lot of luster, and Kansas State is decidedly second-tier. But the Jayhawks are clearly the class of this conference, in addition to being one of the most-improved teams in the country over the past month.

With every passing week, Kansas looks more like a Final Four team. So if Barnes wants to impress those who want to sack him, he'd best show up big on Saturday.

2.) I know Seattle is the better team. But Peyton has had an unbelievable season, and this is his chance to enshrine his legacy. The weather could be a big factor, and it may force the QB's to step up. Russell's one of the best young QB's in the league, but he's not ready for a shoot-out with the best on a neutral field with all that pressure. If Peyton brings his A-game, even the Legion of Boom will struggle against him. I've got the Broncos in a close one.
The Barnes "late-season collapse" is more myth than reality. If you look at it from a reasonable perspective, and the real definition of "late-season collapse" outside of '09-10 season there really hasn't been another one. People make it sound like an annual event and the truth is it isn't. Here's the breakdown going back to '01-'02 season.

'01-'02 - Had a tough month from late Jan - Late Feb going 4-6 in conference but won 5 of last 7 in making it to Sweet 16.
'02-'03 - 12-3 over final 15 games. FF. 'nuff said
'03-'04 - 13-5 over final 18 games. Sweet 16 after losing TJ.
'04-'05 - Struggled after January with young team. 6-8 in last 14. Not coincidentally those final 14 were w/o Tucker after having already lost Aldridge who was starting to play well as a young frosh.
'05-'06 - 22-5 after back to back blowouts against Duke & TN. Elilte 8. 'nuff said.
'06-'07 - Most poorly referenced season by the bashers who think because we had Durant we should have gone to the Final Four. Truth is we were horribly young. As it is, we went 12-5 over the last 17. SC was simply a bad matchup for us.
'07-'08. Hilarious in that the bashers who want to criticize Barnes for not making the final four with Durant don't even bother to acknowledge this season WITHOUT Durant. 18-4 over our last 22 games. Elite 8. 'nuff said.
'08-'09 - 8-8 over last 16. You could argue this perhaps as a collapse but the reality is the team just never found a remotely close replaced for Augustin. But that's fine.
'09-'10 - DEFINITELY the most real collapse. No spinning. 17-0 start. 7-10 finish including first round tourney loss.
'10-'11 - Like Durant's season, one that gets twisted incorrectly into a collapse. That team was a marginal at best top 25 team coming in and that was likely based on nothing more than reputation since we didn't have much actual production returning. As it is, we went 16-5 over our final 21 games only to get hosed by a numerically-challenged ref keeping us out of the Sweet 16. But not a collapse.
Next 2 seasons I don't even bother counting since we were sh*t from the first game. Hard to "collapse" when you never make it off the ground.

As for Manning, I respect what he's done, but let's not pretend he somehow has been consistent greatness in big games in his career, either college or pro. Maybe he does get it done, but banking on that because "he's Peyton Manning" is pretty misguided. Truth is he will be facing a D the likes of which he hasn't remotely faced. I'll be positively shocked if it's a "shootout."

Ketch,

Did you see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Ben Stiller was awesome....

Ketch,

Have you seen Out of the Furnace with Woody Harrelson and Christian Bale. Would be in my top movies for the year and there are some Oscar type performances in there. I know that it hasn't gotten the accolades, but it was a damn good movie.
Haven't seen it. Is it in theaters or DVD or in-between?
In between at the moment. WH is awesome in it as well as Casey Affleck.
is that the MMA/fight movie?

Originally posted by PJH14:
Ketch,

No, it's gonna have to wait.

Thanks for the concise timeline and reflections from the staff.

Screw the haters, I preach your gospel and my friends know when Chip reports on a Texas story, it's like a notarized letter from the Angel Gabriel.

I'm into album No.3 for Genesis in the early 70s. I'm not sure I was completely prepared for this.

You almost have to do them as different bands. The music through T of the T was prog. After that, very very good to great pop rock. Hope you're enjoying the early stuff.

Originally posted by Big Ernie McCracken:

FYI, I'm going Genesis this week.
Lamb Lies Down on Broadway better be in your top 3.
wink.r191677.gif
I'm going in with an open mind.
Old school Genesis kills 80s Genesis.

All the more reason Strong should have hired more of a lights-out recruiting coaching staff on offense. Recruiting to a large degree defines the momentum of a program. Even if you are struggling on the field you can always point to the future and give yourself a bigger window. If Charlie is in year 3 and has 10 wins but no conf championship and aggy and the sec are still out-recruiting Texas, Charlie is in trouble. If he has top 5 classes his 3 year window becomes a 5 year window barring a meltdown.

Originally posted by dgill58:
You almost have to do them as different bands. The music through T of the T was prog. After that, very very good to great pop rock. Hope you're enjoying the early stuff.
I didn't realize how avant garde the sound would be in the beginning, compared to the sound i know them more for.

I know if you listening to this in 1971, you were smoking some pot... no doubt.

Originally posted by PJH14:
Ketch,

No, it's gonna have to wait.
You need to see it, it's the top movie this year in my book....

Ketch, if you're into trippy early 1970s prog rock, you also can't go wrong with Gentle Giant or King Crimson. :)

Originally posted by dgill58:
Ketch, if you're into trippy early 1970s prog rock, you also can't go wrong with Gentle Giant or King Crimson. :)
img_VVzpOW.jpg

Originally posted by Universal Horn:
Ketch:

Looking forward to your Genesis list, but don't forget Porcupine Tree!!!!!
I'll keep y'all updated.
wink.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT