ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (About Vernon Broughton...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

As we count down the remaining hours until Cy Ridge defensive end Vernon Broughton announces his college commitment, it's probably important to outline the stakes involved in this recruitment.

To put it in the plainest terms possible, this is more important to Texas than it is to Texas A&M.

Consider that the Longhorns haven't signed a national top 100-level defensive lineman prospect since 2016 when they signed D'Andre Christmas in Charlie Strong's heralded defensive line class and Texas hasn't signed a five-star level player at the position since Brenham defensive tackle Malcom Brown in 2012.

Consider that the Longhorns haven't made a dent in the Greater Houston Area as of yet in the class of 2020, while losing Broughton to the Aggies would see Texas A&M emerge with commitments from three of the top four prospects in the area.

Consider that the defensive line position is easily the most important area of need in the 2020 recruiting class for the Longhorns and Texas doesn’t currently have any defensive linemen commitments.

Consider that Broughton might end up being the only true high-end nationally elite defensive line prospect that the Longhorns have a real shot at in the 2020 recruiting class.

Consider that Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles could use a "W" instead of an "L" in recruiting top-level defensive linemen after coming under scrutiny for failing to do exactly that since he's returned to Texas as a member of Herman's staff.

Landing the top prospects in the Lone Star State is always a critical mission statement for the Texas program, but when you factor in everything that warrants consideration, it's painfully clear that Broughton isn't just a top-five prospect at a key area of need. With all due respect to Zach Evans or Demond Demas or Hudson Card or anyone else in the state you might want to enter into the discussion, an almost open and shut case can be made that Broughton is the most important prospect in the 2020 class for Herman and Co.

Consequently, the weight of his recruitment has been significant in the last few months, as the Longhorns went from clear favorite to on the outside looking with regards to his top two schools to seemingly taking all of the late-momentum in the final week or so of his recruitment. If hard-core observers of Texas football recruiting have felt some nervousness over the developments of the last few months, imagine the internal angst felt by the likes of Herman and Giles. This has to be especially true of Giles, who has had his worthiness as a member of Herman's staff constantly questioned.

Landing a commitment from Broughton won't fill every need in a 2020 defensive line class that could use two or three more prospects just like him, but it sure as hell checks a lot of important boxes.

He's kind of a big deal.

No. 2 - A few more notes on Broughton ...

From Rivals analyst Josh Helmholdt following the Rivals Five-Star Challenge last month: "Broughton is a player who could have ended up higher on this list, but he took surprisingly few repetitions in the one-on-one session, which keeps him near the end of this list. The Houston native had two of the best reps against eventual offensive line MVP Parks. In fact, I would call the two-rep set between the two a draw. Broughton lined up as a defensive end during those battles with Parks, and he has enough explosiveness to play on the edge. However, at 6-foot-6 and 285 pounds now, we could easily see him kicking inside once he gets to college."

From Rivals analyst Mike Farrell after the Rivals 5-Star Challenge: "Vernon Broughton is a great-looking kid and reminded one of our analysts of Myles Garrett."

No. 3 - Big 12 takes the stage on Monday ...

With Big 12 Media Days occurring on Monday and Tuesday this week, @Anwar Richardson will be back from vacation and into the grind of the unofficial start of the 2019 season up in Arlington.

Here's the questions I'd like to see asked of each Big 12 coach at some point on Monday or Tuesday.

Baylor head coach Matt Rhule: "Knowing what you know about what happened under Art Briles with your program, do you support his being named the head coach of the Mount Vernon High School football team?

(Full disclosure: I'd like to see every head coach in the conference be asked this question.)

Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell: "With your team currently projected as the third-best team in the Big 12, what has to go right for the program to play in the Big 12 title game and what absolutely cannot go wrong?"

Kansas head coach Les Miles: "Short of Pooka Williams murdering the woman that led to him signing a domestic violence diversion agreement after his attest of physical battery to a woman in December, what crime would have warranted two games worth of a suspension, since the physical battery of a woman warrants only one?"

Kansas State head coach Chris Klieman: "Given the lack of natural resources the state of Kansas can provide, what are the most important regions and resources that you must take advantage of in order to succeed?"

Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley: "Has Jerry or Stephen Jones ever called you to discuss their head coaching position?

Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy: "Describe in as many words as you want the level of hatred you have for Boone Pickens?"

Texas head coach Tom Herman: "What has to happen with the program this year in order for the season to be a success and would not qualifying for the Big 12 Championship represent unquestioned failure heading after year three?"

Texas Tech head coach Matt Wells: "After auditing the program you inherited, are you dismayed that the man you're replacing is currently an NFL head coach?"

TCU head coach Gary Patterson: "Who do you view as your toughest physical competitor in the Big 12?"

West Virginia head coach Neal Brown: "Can you compare and contrast the quality of living in the states of Alabama and West Virginia?”

No. 4 - My Tom Landry crusade continues ...

Over the last few years, I've made a point to write about what I believe is a need for the Texas football program to better showcase its relationship with one of the most important people in the history of the sport ... former Texas captain, former World War II fighter pilot and former head coach of America's team ... the one and only Tom Landry.

For reasons that simply can't be explained as far as I can tell, the relationship between the most important ex-Longhorn player in the history of the sport hasn't really existed for decades. It's been my view for years that the Longhorns should hold a Landry celebration of sorts at a Texas home game.

A few months ago, I asked Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte about it on Twitter and I followed up over the weekend. Special credit to Del Conte for always being game with an answer, even if not the one I prefer.

No. 5 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

Buy/Sell Vernon Broughton is one of those rare alpha male football players who’s commitment to a team will cause others to follow him.

(Sell) I'm not going to go that far because ultimately guys are going to do what's best for themselves, but his commitment wouldn't hurt with momentum, that's for certain.

Buy or Sell: Oklahoma is quietly recruiting skill positions from the Houston area at a high level and Texas should be more concerned.

(Sell) Quietly? I have contended for a while that Oklahoma's increased presence in Houston is one of the biggest areas of strength that has grown under Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley, as opposed to what it often looked like under Bob Stoops.

Herman replaces Drayton and Giles at the end of this season.

(Sell) Maybe one, but not both.

Buy/Sell Jamal Charles would be a huge improvement as a running backs coach his knowledge and experience would have to be appealing to recruits.

(Sell) How in the world could any of us know such a thing when he's never coached?

B/S In your heart-of-hearts, you believe that the Aggies are NOT paying a dime outside NCAA rules in recruiting athletes, and that they are essentially clean (now) in their recruiting.

[I don't actually think that you will touch this question, but I am putting it up anyway. Rephrase the question in any manner that you wish if you are willing to address the issue.]

(Sell) I don't believe in “clean" college football recruiting. I pretty much view almost everyone in the dirty category and it just varies on the shade of brown for each program. I'm not sure why you think I would not touch this question. Dameyune Craig has one of the more notorious reputations of anyone in the college football game, so let's not live in Naive-town. The problem in 2019 is that pretty much the entire landscape lives in at least the grey areas, which makes determining which of those going beyond the grey and into something else hard to separate from the others.

B/S Negative recruiting is just an excuse for the staff losing out on some recruits. There has only been one rumor substantiated and the widespread rumors of negative recruiting are overblown.

(Buy) I'm so sick of hearing about negative recruiting. You know what they call negative recruiting at the highest levels of the sport? Just recruiting, nothing more and nothing less. It's the talk of losers.

B/S: With the additions of Whittington, Jake Smith, Keaontay Ingram in his second year, and having Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay back, Texas has 10 or more 50+ yard plays this season?

(Sell) Going from zero to double digits in a single season seems more ambitious than I'm willing to go.

B/S You moved Vernon Broughton up to number 4 and got the updated rankings out before the weekend because you knew early in the week he was committing to the good guys ;)

(Sell) Sometimes life just ends up being beautifully wonderful that way.

Buy or sell: It’s December 20 2020, Texas just signed four 5-star players for the 2021 class, won the conference and is one of the final four in the playoffs

(Buy) Assuming Sam stick around, the best Texas team under Tom Herman through the first four seasons will be the 2020 version.

B/S If Sam takes 95% of the snaps this year (missing only limited time due to injury or mop-up duty), he's invited to NY in December

(Buy) Since I haven't used a single gif yet....
giphy.gif

No. 6 - If you don't completely know who Greg Brown, you will after this ...

Holy. Smokes.

No. 7 - Tennis gets its own section this weekend ...

For a moment, I just want to tip my cap to the greatness that has been and continues to be all-time greats Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novac Djokovic, three titans of tennis that have combined for 54 of the last 65 grand slam championships that have been played.

So dominant have they been that there's not a player in the sport under 30 that has a single grand slam title. A case can be made for all three as being the best player that the sport has ever seen and that we've been able to see them at the same time, pushing each other to the brink and back countless times has been an absolute treasure.

On Sunday, Federer and Djokovic gave us a masterpiece, with Djokovic outlasting Federer in the first-ever fifth-set tie-breaker after the match had gone to 12-12 in the final set.

Like so many others, I was rooting for Federer, but it was impossible not to appreciate Djokovic in the finest moment of his career, shaking off two championship points after Federer had broken him at 8-7 and pushed Djokovic into a 40-15 hole in the game that could have decided things, all with the crowd surging behind the fan-favorite from Switzerland.

Once upon a time, Djokovic was the guy that Andy Roddick used to make fun of because all of the excuses that Djokovic would make when he'd lose.

All these years later, he's a damn man of steel, unable to be taken down by the likes of the bird flu ever again.

What are we going to do when these three are gone?

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... I've given up on trying to pick between Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. I really respect them all the same.

... It seems unfair that Federer has lost both of the matches that I would rank as the best I've ever seen (2008 and 2019 Wimbledon Finals), with honorable mention going to the 2012 Australian Open (Djokovic defeated Nadal) and the 2013 French Open (Nadal defeated Djokovic).

... Man, Simona Halep put it on Serena Williams on Saturday in the women's final. I can't remember seeing someone make Serena seem completely helpless as Halep did to her on Saturday.

... While watching the Melvin Gordon contract situation with the Chargers unfold, it's hard not to wonder what the Cowboys will do with Zeke Elliott following the 2020 season when he'll be entering age 26 and will likely have nearly 1,500 carries until his belt? The team made the right decision when DeMarco Murray entered the same era of dollars and carries, but will the team have the guts to ride Elliott for two more seasons and not give him a monster contract?

... What. A. Moment.

... If Sam Presti can find a way to get Chris Paul's contract off his books and get a few draft picks or valuable assets in the process, give him the damn Nobel Peace Prize.

... The Rockets had to make the trade ... had to. This might not end with the Rockets winning a title, but it had to be done.

... Can the NBA season start already?

... Throw a fastball high and tight against cancer, Bob Gibson. If anyone can, it'll be you. In fact, once you're done with it, feel free to throw at its head.

... I'm pretty much out of words for what happened on Friday, but wow.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 thoughts on Deadwood after finishing the show ...

I can't really explain why I missed out on Deadwood during its 2004-06 run on HBO or why it took me 13 years to watch my first episode, but I finished off the show this weekend after being told by so many people that it was must-see TV history.

With all three seasons and the 2019 movie in the bag, I give you my top 10 thoughts on the show.

10. Jane should have had her own show.

9. Bullock dragging Hurst by the ear to jail and completely humiliating him was easily the most fulfilling scene of the entire series. Gerald McRaney has always been a personal favorite because of his role in as Rick Simon in "Simon and Simon" and his role as Hurst might have been the best work I've ever seen from him.

8. Charlie Utter started out as a nothing character for me and became my second-favorite over the course of three seasons. Consider me bitter about what happens in the movie.

7. Farnum's reaction after being named mayor of Deadwood in season one was a personal favorite scene of mine.

6. I was not ready for William Bullock's death. Damn.

5. Any scene with Swearengen and Wu was Hall of Fame television. Same with Swearengen and the head in a box.

4. I enjoyed the hell out of Bullock beating the crap out of Farnum in season three, but I have to admit to finding a soft spot for Farnum pretty shortly thereafter.

3. I know that Swearengen is the character that represented the straw that stirred the drink on Deadwood, but I found myself connected to Seth Bullock's character quite a bit. As someone that has some "control" issues, it was fascinating watching a character with principles and yet sometimes so unable to control himself when motivated by them. A man of few words, I was glued to any scene Bullock was in.

2. The fight between Bullock and Swearengen in the season two-opener has to rank as one of the best hand-to-hand combat scenes in the history of television. That it ended with Swearengen about to murder Bullock with a knife as Bullock's wife and son appeared into town on a coach was all kinds of Deadwood in a nutshell.

1. The ending of season three completely caught me off-guard. Knowing that the show lasted only three seasons, I assumed that the end of season three would have more fireworks than a Fourth of July, as it tied all of the pieces of the puzzle together, but clearly that's not what happened and I can't help but wonder if social media would have saved Deadwood had the show been around a decade later when such an outrage would have been multiplied by a million. Of course, with a little more time having passed since Saturday when I watched the final episode, I can't help but wonder if a random, wide-open finish to the show wasn't somehow appropriate. Hurst getting everything he wanted feels like what real life would have actually produced. There's no real room for romanticism in Deadwood.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

Forty-six days and change until the season opener, folks. We're almost there.

Tennis will have a drought like none before in 3-4 years. If you want to go to the US Open 2025 will likely be a cheap ticket.

Connors and Mcenroe played into the Agassi/Sampras era, Agassi/Sampras played into the Federer era and Agassi into all of these guys, but who the hell is next? Tsitsipas and Thiem are the only ones so far but they need to do more.

I loved any scene with Swearengin and/or Jane. 2 awesome characters.

I’m telling myself you wouldn’t have been so emphatic in Section 1 if you weren’t optimistic.....

Reactions: BGTexasExe
To put it in the plainest terms possible, this is more important to Texas than it is to Texas A&M.

Consider that the Longhorns haven't signed a national top 100-level defensive lineman prospect since 2016 when they signed D'Andre Christmas

Performance, not recruiting grades, are what matters. UT has had the Big 12's most valuable defensive linemen the past two years, with 3* recruits. Our DL did extremely well against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. They got results. And that's all that matters. Let's just keep that going.

Last edited:

Over the last few years, I've made a point to write about what I believe is a need for the Texas football program to better showcase its relationship with one of the most important people in the history of the sport ... former Texas captain, former World War II fighter pilot and former head coach of America's team ... the one and only Tom Landry.

Bomber pilot, flew 30 B 17 missions not a fighter pilot. And frankly, being a bomber pilot flying daylight missions into Germany in World War II, more dangerous than flying fighters (IMHO). Shot down and crash landed in Belgium once.

Geoff,

FYI, McRaney was playing George Hearst, the real-life father of the famous publishing giant William Randolph Hearst. He wasn’t a fictional character called “Hurst.” Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. Glad you enjoyed the show’s greatness.

diehard horn said:
Buy/Sell Jamal Charles would be a huge improvement as a running backs coach his knowledge and experience would have to be appealing to recruits.
(Sell) How in the world could any of us know such a thing when he's never coached?

I would feel playing in the NFL for 10 year and at Texas for 3 years Jamal would have more than learned something about being a running back. There are a lot of young men who remember the name Jamal Charles but those who know Jamal most of those have never heard of Stan. Apparently Ketch thinks Stan can recruit just like Shaka can coach. Loyalty is a good thing until it hurts your team. I hope for the sake of the Horns Stan proves me wrong but If you can’t sell a stud to come to Texas your in the wrong business.

Ok, fine. I’ll finally watch Deadwood now.

P.s. if anyone on OB has not scene the series The Selection you are missing out big time. Premise:Citizens trying to get thru a special military training (roughly 11 days) from SEALs, Rangers and Green Berets. It’s no joke and not embellished for tv. Everyone, participants and viewers, will come away with a huge amount of respect and appreciation for our special forces and what it takes just to get thru basic training. I’ve seen documentaries of Seal training and have friends who have been thru Marine and Ranger school but this is still worthwhile.

Performance, not recruiting grades, are what matters. UT has had the Big 12's most valuable defensive linemen the past two years, with 3* recruits. Our DL did extremely well against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. They got results. And that's all that matters. Let' just keep that going.
It's been so long since you've had a guy like Malcom Brown that you've forgotten just how much better they can be.

Geoff,

FYI, McRaney was playing George Hearst, the real-life father of the famous publishing giant William Randolph Hearst. He wasn’t a fictional character called “Hurst.” Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. Glad you enjoyed the show’s greatness.
Yup, amazing the number of real-life inspired characters were in the show.

Djokavic will probably pass both Nadal and Federer, in the coming years.

He's 4 away from Federer, and is 6 years younger.
He's 2 away from Nadal, 1 year younger, and isn't just a 1 tournament player.

He's on his way to not only passing them... but possibly making their historic runs look minuscule to the amount of Grand Slams he will put up in his career.

I'm curious why you'd object to them raised in any format

You didn't ask me but....

I'm 100% ok with the question to Miles, but seems like Riley should get one too if that RB has been gone for beating up a girl. Why does OU always get a pass on the women beating?

However, I don't get asking Rhule about Briles' HS gig. Rhule didn't have anything to do with that hire, he wasn't on Briles' staff, doesn't have any connection to Briles and as far as we know isn't doing any of the crap Briles was doing. And why ask him about a high school job? Seems like a shot at Baylor that just lands on Rhule.

@Ketchum Dorbah is top 100
And Giles was lead recruiter. You should have included him in your opening paragraphs.

This will be Giles second top 100
This year if he commits and it will be his top two on the board!

As it turns out, I have about 500 other responsibilities this week.

I'm curious why you'd object to them raised in any format.

I don't object to them being raised at all. I'm just more interested in seeing you ask them of the coaches in a space that isn't hid behind a paywall where they actually have to respond.

If it mattered to you then you'd make sure those questions were asked this week. Putting them in your ten thoughts knowing nobody at the media days will ask those questions or even see them is just creating the illusion of doing something while pretty much doing nothing.

I have a hunch the real reason you won't make a point to ask those questions is because it'd jeopardize your business and access to the conference and program.

Baylor head coach Matt Rhule: "Knowing what you know about what happened under Art Briles with your program, do you support his being named the head coach of the Mount Vernon High School football team?

(Full disclosure: I'd like to see every head coach in the conference be asked this question.)

I am absolutely floored by this revelation!!

source.gif

Reactions: losthorn
ADVERTISEMENT