ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Addressing Tom Herman and Ohio State ...)

Did you actually watch Chris warren play? I wouldn’t say he tore it up. He had one long run against air and a few decent runs through huge holes against 3rd stringers. He might make the practice squad but I saw nothing to get excited about. Any 3rd string rb could have made those plays. Literally. Richard is much better than him.
I didn't, but his name is hot buzz at Oakland camp.

I can't speak for the experience in Columbus, but in terms of overall hostile fans, we'd have to put Tech up there, right?

The worst was when I was there in '08 (Gideon drop/Crabtree catch). They WON the damn game and my group had a miserable time getting through the parking lot. Lot of different drunk Tech fans getting in our faces, shouting, some shoving, and just all around jackassery.

I would maybe attribute at least part of that to it being a high profile night game (lot of day drinking), but it hasn't been super pleasant for Longhorns in my other trips there.
Tech fans aren't even in the discussion. Seriously.

Did you actually watch Chris warren play? I wouldn’t say he tore it up. He had one long run against air and a few decent runs through huge holes against 3rd stringers. He might make the practice squad but I saw nothing to get excited about. Any 3rd string rb could have made those plays. Literally. Richard is much better than him.
I didn't, but his name is hot buzz at Oakland camp.

I will just be dumbfounded if he makes the team. Didn’t impress me at all. Stat n line didn’t tell the story imo.

BUY or SELL: With Maryland in chaos and USC starting a true freshman QB, Texas gets through non-conference 3-0 and sets itself up for the breakout we've all been impatiently waiting for?

(Sell) I'm still not ready to give that kind of benefit of the doubt. It has not been earned.
I think we show up against USC, they lost a lot more than we did in the offseason and we damn near had their number at their place last year. With the above having been said, I'm starting to see Week 2 against Tulsa as the trap game of those 3.
... Chris Warren is tearing it up in Oakland as an undrafted rookie free agent and I have to admit to being shocked by it all. Good for him.
It's becoming increasingly clear to me that CW3 was primarily focused on avoiding injuries last year. I have never seen a big guy run so tentatively - even Henry Melton is shaking his head somewhere.

- Crazy that "who" told the information matters more to Ohio State fans/media members more what occurred and the cover-up.

- Maryland is a basketball school. Doubt they think twice about firing a football coach.

- If Shane is tied with Sam at the end of training camp, Sam starts IMO

- If Chris Warren III makes an NFL roster but couldn't crack a Texas lineup, it's a bad look.

- Love the baseball kid
Bad look for Chris because he had a shit attitude and pouted because his lousy coach got fired? I agree wholeheartedly.

Holy shit.

That is an OSU scandal itself. Can there be much question how outspoken OSU "fans" are reacting with profligate, wild finger-pointing and defamation, desperately attempting to divert attention from the rot at the core of the OSU football program? Football is enormous distraction, even obsession; but it is not a license to abandon any sense of decency or basic humanity.

Man, one of my closest friends is an OSU grad and we starting planning the trip when it came on the schedule around 2000. By the time of the game his fiancé was a professor and gave us her faculty tickets. I wore my #20 Earl Campbell Jersey and when Limas caught the TD I was pelted with beer from the FREAKIN FACULTY!!!! Unbelievable!!

lol, that’s really sorry!

At the time of the 2005 OSU game, I worked with a few guys who were B10 alums...one from Mich, one from Mich St and one from Ohio St. I remember thinking it was weird when they were so surprised I was actually going to the game. The MSU guy was like "no visiting fans ever go to OSU games".

And when I told them I was planning to wear an orange Longhorn shirt to the game, all 3 of them were like "dude, you don't understand, that's crazy". I kept telling them I had been to a bunch of Tx / OU games and wasn't worried at all. Holy crap were they right. 1st event I've ever been in my life where I was scared for my safety. People screaming "F$ck you" and getting in our faces for literally no reason other than us being there.

I would gladly pay for all 3 of my kids to attend OU before I would ever step foot in that sh!thole stadium or be around those sh!thole, meth-head fans ever again. I will always root for Michigan b/c they have to deal with those scumbags as a rival...

I think how often I have been certain to be cordial to visiting fans at UT games and seen many others do likewise. What a shameful, scathing indictment of a school; with that environment, no wonder the hysterical, counter attacking defense of Meyer has been so intense and vitriolic. OSU would do well to shut it down and try again in ten years [fat chance].

Just to be clear...I'm not a fan of Ohio State, but their administration has done the right thing on two occasions in the past. I'm hoping they will do so again...we will soon see...

Hayes needed to retire and did something just crazy. With Tressel, there was a danger of NCAA sanctions they wanted to avoid. The Meyer scandal is a case of gross win at all costs cover-up of personal issues within the staff, indicative of ethical rot internally; but not sanctionable. So this is a test of the administration's character to see if they have backbone and minimal ethical standards they will enforce. I still fear that with such high stakes for the winning football program, ethics will lose...again. Otherwise, with the threat of a huge suit for wrongful termination, the school will buy out Meyer at a fearsome cost, and he will ride off to another site to continue the act he showed at Florida and now OSU. Sadly, there are other schools that likely would take on his toxic quality in order to win.

No hyperbole but almost 15 years later it still trips me out that it really was "touch and go" for a sec of how we got out of Columbus that night. A few haymakers, some street wrestling, and overall street smarts got our crew back to the hotel after the game. Said I'd NEVER go to Columbus ever again, and I haven't. What @Ketchum describes that he and SA experienced is real, straight...no chaser.
Truly a sick environment; makes scandals such as the present one only too understandable.

I was in my mid 20’s at the OSU game. Before the game we hit up some bars and the trash talk wasn’t that bad but it was there. But walking to the stadium it was absolutely ridiculous at how much vulgar language the students used. I asked one guy why they were so damn rude. I said we paid to fly up here to experience yall’s game day traditions and see The Shoe, I mean it’s not like we are Michigan. Once we made it outside the stadium we were welcomed in by the alumni and offered food and beer to hangout. They were good people. Before the game started I bought a OSU Nike T-shirt just to have as a souvenir. And thank God I did because when we left the game my brother and his friend wanted to go out partying and I was not in the mood. So I started walking down the road by myself and their fans started rioting and picking fights. I put that red Ohio State T-shirt on and it’s probably the only thing that saved me from being pummeled by some drunk frat dudes.
That school should be ashamed; have you ever seen any indication that the administration makes any attempt to curb the insanity and lawlessness?

Let me also be perfectly clear that I don't care who has given Brett McMurphy the goods on the situation. His source matters 1,000 times less than properly addressing the enabling of abuse that Meyer signed off of

Actually his source matters exactly zilch.

BUY or SELL: @MFarrell participated in the biggest burning of bridges on OB ever yesterday?

(Buy) It reminds me of a scene from The Big Lebowski. Mike wasn't wrong that college coaches as a whole are completely untrustworthy, but his bedside manner and misuse of proper context made any point he was trying to make wide of the mark.

Cliffs needed as I missed what happened.

BUY or SELL: With Maryland in chaos and USC starting a true freshman QB, Texas gets through non-conference 3-0 and sets itself up for the breakout we've all been impatiently waiting for?

(Sell) I'm still not ready to give that kind of benefit of the doubt. It has not been earned.

There's a very real possibility SC rolls out a better starting QB as a true frosh than the sophomore we roll out.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
I'm actually proud of the fact that the Hermans did something to help Courtney out. And as for that shit hole, yeah I was there also in 2005. I had a great gig whereby I took another employee (an OSU grad) and two clients - one of whom was also a UT alum and another college football fanatic who turned out to be the current Texas AG who gets so much grief on here. First, we were packed like sardines. Second, the moment Limas Sweed scored, a kid in front of us who stood up to cheer (I mean like 12 or 13) had a beer dumped on his head. We get ready to leave and my OSU friend says, "Look, let's be very careful even though school's not in session (don't know if true), we burn shit when we win!" So my drunk fellow UT alum immediately goes running off in front of us yelling at the top of his lungs "Hook'em!!!" and we all try to catch up to make sure he doesn't get killed. Well an OSU fan walking past us sticks out his arm and elbows Ken Paxton to the ground and as we try to make sure nothing else further ensues there, we lose the drunk friend. We find him (after dodging several beers and fights) about 10 minutes later at an OSU tailgate where he's taken over and holding court. He greets us like nothing is up and is offering us beers from the tailgaters as I see they are quickly thinking of murdering us all. Fortunately for us we miraculously hail a cab and make it back to our hotel without further incident. To hear the stories afterward at the airport waiting for our flight was just amazing... scum of the Earth.
Truly pathetic. Talk about a "toxic" environment. Thuggery in the name of fandom is still just thuggery.

BUY or SELL: The competition between Sam and Shane is way closer than most fans realize?

(Buy) There could be a new quarterback on the field in the second quarter of the opener if Ehlinger doesn't play well. Of course, if he plays well, this could be his job until 2021. Separation is only truly going to occur in games, not practice.

Agree

Truly pathetic. Talk about a "toxic" environment. Thuggery in the name of fandom is still just thuggery.
Yeah, my friend Kip who was the other UT alum who crashed the tailgate party lives a charmed life and was truly lucky to not be murdered before we got there. On a funny other note, we strolled the campus and the stadium the night before as 3 of us had never been. Well as we're passing the hotel on campus next to the stadium, the OSU team starts trotting out to go through what I assume was their pre-game walk thru. Kip goes to the front of the stairs and starts high fiving the players as they come out until a couple of them notice he's wearing a UT shirt at which point some of the bigger boys start giving him shit. He just yells as he strolls away, "Good luck. You're going to need it. Hook'em!" I swear he must have two guardian angels working overtime.

Reactions: PaulieD
ADVERTISEMENT