ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Charlie Strong is Norman Dale)

I have zero complaints about Charlie Strong thus far...none, nada. He's doing everything right to this point in my book and I'm loving the hardline, yard dog crusade he's on. Exactly what Texas needed, PERIOD.

Geoff,

Herb made the right call. That was a NASTY liver shot and every bit as legit as any conventional KO to the head. Ask Oscar De La Hoya's liver after Hopkins put him down. Fans are too caught up in highlight reel KOs. McMann dropped her hands to grab her side and was NOT defending herself and was about to get pounded out. Excellent stoppage in my book. The most underrated tool in combat sports is the body shot. Beautiful, precision execution by Rousey.

As for McDonald, he can stand in line a while longer after his last few stinkers. Impressive win over Maia but I'm not ready to throw him back in to title contention just yet. I like your idea of him taking the loser of the Condit/Woodley fight and then maybe putting him in with the surging Saffiedine. THEN he can jump back in for the title shot.

UFC 171 in Dallas is going to be quite the welterweight division dream. 6 of the top 12 fighters facing off. Got my tickets...can't wait.

Originally posted by Bigmonkey:
Just watched the entire five minutes of Fallon and Timberlake ... that's five minutes of my life I'm never going to get back. Thanks a lot. Timberlake is talented, but that clip just shows you don't have to have talent to be a rapper.

I thought the kid wearing the Pizza Hut tablecloth as a shirt was going to jump on Justin when they went into the crowd. Now that would have been worth five minutes.
You realize that anything you do for five minute represents five minutes of our life you'll never get back. I've never really understood that particular expression.

For instance, i'll never get the 45 seconds I spent replying to this post.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by HornScott10:
Ketch,
I agree with a lot of your opinions on where 12 Years stands as the best movie as the acting and story is so powerful, but I actually think Cuaron deserves best director. The technological requirements of shooting a scene for Gravity are unmatched and the undertaking and overall scope of the vision needed to produce a movie like Gravity should be rewarded I think.

The technology involved basically is the worst possible scenario of animation and the worst possible scenario of a live-action shoot. There were different technologies that were involved that we created. What they all have in common is that they had to be pre-programmed. [Editor's note: It was a maddening, circular scenario: They knew that at the end of the actors' shoot, they'd have, basically, the voices of Bullock and Clooney as well as their faces ? which would be lit appropriately for the scene ? as the basic structural and timing elements around which they'd then animate. So they needed to conjure the finished product before the shoot in order to get the actors to do what would work.[/I]] So when we went to the shooting stage, everything was set in stone, meaning that we could not do adjustments, and meaning that the actors, there was very little room for actors to do changes, because the scene had to be exactly that length of time ? the timing was written in stone. The positions were written in stone. It was like, At that exact moment, [Sandra], you reach out with your hand like that. [/I]Everything was so millimetric. It was a testament to Sandra and George how they went through with all these technical, psychological limitations around them, how they make it seem effortless. Everything was very uncomfortable for the actors. [/I]
I don't completely disagree. What he did with Gravity was pretty ground-breaking.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate being a Cowboys fan right now and how little optimism I own for the future? Yes? Well, get ready to hear it a lot in the coming years as his ineptitude reaches two decades running.
AMEN, I'm so sick of jerrah and his snot nosed kids, just can't jump off the ship...

I'm sorry, but who gives a sh*t about Collins and his 10 day contract? Am I suddenly supposed to care because he prefers penis instead of vagina?

The guy isn't even a JAG.

Originally posted by Kirby4286:
I'm sorry, but who gives a sh*t about Collins and his 10 day contract? Am I suddenly supposed to care because he prefers penis instead of vagina?

You don't have to care, but it is a notable moment, as tolerance and acceptance of other humans becomes more of a universal call, regardless of sexual orientation, religion or any other difference between everyday people. That actually is something that should be celebrated.

We live in a world where walls don't get broken down unless someone breaks them down. His bravery will have a positive impact, whether you care if he likes penis instead of vagina or not.

Some of these reactions baffle me, but I suppose they shouldn't.

It's a bit of a downtime for me TV-wise. I think my only TV shows I'm consistently watching right now are:

True Detective
Under the Gunn

Other than sports, I think that's it for now until some of my other shows return from hiatus.

Imagine if it went the other way - that you could, in fact, get those five minutes of your life back. I think a fair amount of time I'd end up doing the same thing. I probably would have watched that video again ... maybe I'd get the song references the second time through.

On the Cowboys ... I feel your pain. I had been a Dallas Cowboys fan since I was about seven years old. I remember watching Super Bowl X against the Steelers, the victory in Super Bowl XII, the pain of the Dwight Clark catch, the firing of Landry and the hope and turnaround under Jimmy Johnson. I remember Barry Switzer and the parade of coaches that have followed, and the ongoing hope-and-inevitable-crash that comes with Tony Romo. This year I officially divorced the Cowboys, filing my papers and sending official notice to Jerrah and the team. When one party continues to do stupid, destructive things, when over and over again they promise to change and then refuse to do so, eventually you have to just end it. Cut off the relationship. Accept that it's just not going to get better, no matter how many times they promise or how many new draftees they pick up.

So I took up with the Broncos this year, jumped on that bandwagon with everyone else. I divorced the Cowboys about two weeks before they played the Broncos, and I'll admit that I was pretty happy when Tony Romo Romo'ed the end of that game. I knew it was going to happen that way, just like you know your alcoholic ex-wife will have one too many at her 20th HS reunion and end up passed out in the bathroom, only to wake up the next morning, apologizing and saying it will never happen again. Sure, honey, but in the meantime I'm going to leave you here.

I admit I'm still curious about my old flame, wondering how they'll mess up the draft this year, what awful contracts they'll give to free agents, how many stupid mistakes Romo will make. I feel like that stalker ex on Facebook, reading draft day stuff about the vaunted 'War Room.'

It's hard, changing like that, but in the end I know it's for the best. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking that their football team is doomed, that meddlesome owners will only make stupid decisions, knowing that you'll always blow a lead in the fourth quarter or throw a critical interception in a two minute drill.

Above all, I don't want my kids to be haunted by the Jerrah Jones skeletor face. Seriously, that's some scary stuff there.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by Kirby4286:

You don't have to care, but it is a notable moment, as tolerance and acceptance of other humans becomes more of a universal call, regardless of sexual orientation, religion or any other difference between everyday people. That actually is something that should be celebrated.

We live in a world where walls don't get broken down unless someone breaks them down. His bravery will have a positive impact, whether you care if he likes penis instead of vagina or not.

Some of these reactions baffle me, but I suppose they shouldn't.
Homosexuality is celebrated in today's culture. It doesn't take bravery to do something that you know you'll be lauded for. No one even knew who Jason Collins was prior to his coming out, and now he's treated like a hero.

I'd like to say that I'm surprised at your reaction, but the truth is, it was very predictable. But to each their own, I guess. I have no ill will toward the man, I just think the celebration is a little over the top.

ADVERTISEMENT