ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Cleo McDowell, Frank Erwin & more...)

It is Winston Churchill on a warship during WW2. I think he was the greatest man of the 20th century. My late wife bought me that picture a year before she passed away, so it has deep significance for me, both as an admirer of a great person but also the last gift she gave me.
who do you think is No.2?

It is Winston Churchill on a warship during WW2. I think he was the greatest man of the 20th century. My late wife bought me that picture a year before she passed away, so it has deep significance for me, both as an admirer of a great person but also the last gift she gave me.

Churchill mesmerizes me. Such a complex man, and genius orator of the English language. He basically willed the UK to victory through the ashes of defeat.

I can watch “The Darkest Hour“ on a continuous loop and get the same feeling of euphoria-ready-to-run-through-a-Norman-castle-wall at the end every time. Gary Oldman did a masterful job in the role.

Awesome gift from your wife.

Reactions: GilmerHorn
Churchill mesmerizes me. Such a complex man, and genius orator of the English language. He basically willed the UK to victory through the ashes of defeat.

I can watch “The Darkest Hour“ on a continuous loop and get the same feeling of euphoria-ready-to-run-through-a-Norman-castle-wall at the end every time. Gary Oldman did a masterful job in the role.

Awesome gift from your wife.
I like to listen to Churchill’s speeches on YouTube. He was a very complex man. He was at one time the highest paid journalist in the world. He was half American. His mother was from New York.

Reactions: Type O
Great possible Top 10 list! Talk about subjective!

Other candidates off the top of my head..

Gandhi
Nelson Mandela
Mother Teresa (if you change it to persons🙂)
FDR
MLK (timely😏)

Eltife is what the system needs. Things ran pretty good when Erwin ran the show. A man of thought and action is a good thing.

I was having a conversation with a well-connected Texas-Ex this weekend about the changes in the football program when the subject of Board of Regents chairman Kevin Eltife came up.

"That's not his job," the Houston resident griped. "He's not supposed to hire football coaches. He's the chair for the entire Texas system."

"Well, I think he's kind of a hero to a lot of people," I replied. "He's getting a lot of credit for there being excitement in the program."

"Who does he think he is, Frank Erwin?" he shot back.

"I think he'd find that to be a compliment," I joked. "It's not an accident that everyone at the press conference made a point to call him 'boss' in front of everyone else. Frank would have loved that, right?"

"Who is going to be the defensive coordinator," he finally asked after taking my comment in for a few seconds.

You’re wrong about Kevin. He was not there to be the boss. Your “well connected Texas-Ex” should know why he was involved.

Einstein.
Orwell.

Einstein is a good one.

Was thinking about Jobs or Gates, but their contributions bridge the 20th to the 21st century, and not sure if all of it is really positive (he says as he types on his iPhone🤭).

You’re wrong about Kevin. He was not there to be the boss. Your “well connected Texas-Ex” should know why he was involved.
I don't think it's a bad thing at all, but he's hardly been a wallflower. He's literally been front and center of every photo and event.

They literally held up the first zoom meeting on the day he was hired so that they could make sure he was on it.

Reactions: Type O
When Harry Met Sally. Dude.

giphy.gif
Winner

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
Here's the thing about When Harry Met Sally vs. the Hanks/Ryan duo of movies...

You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle are actually touching moving that makes you yearn for the couple to get together in the end. WHMS doesn't do that.

Also, while the orgasm scene in WHMS is all-time great, I'll take the pound for pound scene stealing greatness of Parker Posey, a sprinkle of Dave Chappelle, late 90s email and a great nanny bit every day of the week and twice on Sundays if we're talking about committing two hours to the cause.
Nice effort. Not convincing, but you clearly tried.

It was a good list but I’ll add some also Rand:
Addicted to love.
Grosse Pointe Blank.
The mirror has two faces.
Tin Cup.
So I married an axe murderer.
Don Juan Demarco.
Fools rush in.
Beautiful Girls.
Only You.

I think When Harry Met Sally is kind of dated and not Meg's best.

You CLEARLY haven't learned not to **** with Mr. Zero.

Btw,
Harry Burns : Please, Jess, Marie. Do me a favor, for your own good, put your name in your books right now before they get mixed up and you won't know whose is whose. 'Cause someday, believe it or not, you'll go 15 rounds over who's gonna get this coffee table. This stupid wagon wheel ROY ROGERS GARAGE SALE COFFEE TABLE!

Jess : I thought you liked it!

Harry Burns : I WAS BEING NICE!

Reactions: txsfight
Here's the thing about When Harry Met Sally vs. the Hanks/Ryan duo of movies...

You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle are actually touching moving that makes you yearn for the couple to get together in the end. WHMS doesn't do that.

Also, while the orgasm scene in WHMS is all-time great, I'll take the pound for pound scene stealing greatness of Parker Posey, a sprinkle of Dave Chappelle, late 90s email and a great nanny bit every day of the week and twice on Sundays if we're talking about committing two hours to the cause.
When Harry met Sally is a must watch, if only for one all-time line: Harry and Jess are at the Giants game in between doing the wave. Jess tells Harry that his wife's affair wasn't the problem, it was only a symptom of a deeper problem. Harry responds: "well, that symptom is f'ng my wife!"

I don't think it's a bad thing at all, but he's hardly been a wallflower. He's literally been front and center of every photo and event.

They literally held up the first zoom meeting on the day he was hired so that they could make sure he was on it.
Personally it isn’t a bad thing, Kevin is a good guy. But the exact reason why he was in the position of all the stuff you just said was for the people that were irritated by Herman.

Personally it isn’t a bad thing, Kevin is a good guy. But the exact reason why he was in the position of all the stuff you just said was for the people that were irritated by Herman.
Indeed. He's where folks want him to be. Same with Hartzell. None of this happened by accident.

You’ve Got Mail.

Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Dave Chappelle, Dabney Coleman, John Roberts, Greg Kinnear, Parker Posey, Jean Stapleton, Steve Zahn.

Good comic relief woven into story.

You’ve Got Mail.

Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Dave Chappelle, Dabney Coleman, John Roberts, Greg Kinnear, Parker Posey, Jean Stapleton, Steve Zahn.

Good comic relief woven into story.
The cast is a monster and no one puts in a bad shift.

Reactions: rlstep
ADVERTISEMENT