ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Come on, Tom, impress us...)

@SkullSplitter I think one of the things we all need to come to grips with, and this includes me, is the level of hire that Texas football in 2020 is capable of making.

I worry Herman is either thin on the kind of interpersonal skills it requires to go out and make top hires, or he has his guys and isn’t too well liked outside of that circle. I haven’t ever heard that but it always seemed like Mack was “good friends” with every D1 coach out there. That had to have helped in hiring assistants.
This was the thought I was having. Herman has never been described as Mr. Congeniality and he’s not winning and on the warm seat. Maybe the guys not in his cell phone just don’t like him or believe in him nor want to work for him?

@SkullSplitter I think one of the things we all need to come to grips with, and this includes me, is the level of hire that Texas football in 2020 is capable of making.
I cannot emphasize enough how much I agree with this statement.

The truth is, there isn't a single other program in this country – Not. A. Single. Damn. School. – other than the By-God-University-of-Texas that has the combination of unparalleled financial resources, fan support, donor support, regional recruiting, academic standing, and kick-ass location to put all other programs to shame. Notre Dame is a distant second, and all others fall far away.

Thus one of the greatest mysteries in football history is why we have never truly awoken to the reality of our own promise. Over and over and over, we keep making excuses for poor hires and poor practices. We hardly ever seem to truly grasp that we could ascend above all others if we just once – just once! – decided to make full use of all of those resources at the same time. Our potential is extraordinary.

So there is no excuse why we shouldn't be hiring the best of the best. All the time.

We are the University of Texas at Austin. When will we truly start acting like it?

The truth is, there isn't a single other program in this country – Not. A. Single. Damn. School. – other than the By-God-University-of-Texas that has the combination of unparalleled financial resources, fan support, donor support, regional recruiting, academic standing, and kick-ass location to put all other programs to shame. Notre Dame is a distant second, and all others fall far away.

Thus one of the greatest mysteries in football history is why we have never truly awoken to the reality of our own promise. Over and over and over, we keep making excuses for poor hires and poor practices. We hardly ever seem to truly grasp that we could ascend above all others if we just once – just once! – decided to make full use of all of those resources at the same time. Our potential is extraordinary.

So there is no excuse why we shouldn't be hiring the best of the best. All the time.

We are the University of Texas at Austin. When will we truly start acting like it?
Say that!

Reactions: SkullSplitter

Losing so much this decade has taken its toll. It's going to take winning before Texas can hire the best of the best just because it wants to.

Reactions: J Tull
What I'm choosing to put my belief in is a quarterback in Joe Burrow that is not only having one of the best seasons any player has ever known in NCAA history, but it's helped create a team that I believe will go down as one of the best the sport has ever known.

Write it in ink.

LSU 44 Clemson 31

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

What I'm choosing to put my belief in is a quarterback in Joe Burrow that is not only having one of the best seasons any player has ever known in NCAA history, but it's helped create a team that I believe will go down as one of the best the sport has ever known.

Write it in ink.

LSU 44 Clemson 31

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!
I'm not always the dumb asshole. Sometimes I'm just the asshole!

Losing so much this decade has taken its toll. It's going to take winning before Texas can hire the best of the best just because it wants to.
Yes, that's fair. I was thinking more big-picture than right-now, but even right now this team has the financial resources to aim higher than we seem to be doing.

The biggest obstacle we face is that Herman's seat is warming up, and potential coordinators are wary of that. It's remarkable how often head coaches go down in flames after waiting just one season too long to make necessary changes.

As opposed to every top-tier coach in the game today, now including Coach O, all of whom replaced at least one if not both coordinators within their first two seasons.

I don’t know. I think it’s more about the people in charge, not Texas. Let’s say Texas fired Herman in December and got Saban. Saban wouldn’t be able to hire whoever he wanted when he came because Texas has been losing so long?

I don’t know. I think it’s more about the people in charge, not Texas. Let’s say Texas fired Herman in December and got Saban. Saban wouldn’t be able to hire whoever he wanted when he came because Texas has been losing so long?
Yeah, but it takes a monster anomaly to create that.

Who are the guys besides Saban that qualify as that kind of Mack-daddy.

Yeah, but it takes a monster anomaly to create that.

Who are the guys besides Saban that qualify as that kind of Mack-daddy.
I hear you, but I’m just saying I think it has more to do with the coach than the school. I think there’s probably a decent list of guys that could take this job and have some immediate sway with almost anyone. You could probably pick a number of guys just out of the top 15. Obviously, if it’s someone like Chris Klieman, no. JMO. Tom hasn’t accomplished much and isn’t known as the most liked guy.

I hear you, but I’m just saying I think it has more to do with the coach than the school. I think there’s probably a decent list of guys that could take this job and have some immediate sway with almost anyone. You could probably pick a number of guys just out of the top 15. Obviously, if it’s someone like Chris Klieman, no. JMO. Tom hasn’t accomplished much and isn’t known as the most liked guy.
I'd love to see your list if you have a moment to consider it.

The bottom line is that Tom ain't on the list, whatever the number is.

I'd love to see your list if you have a moment to consider it.

The bottom line is that Tom ain't on the list, whatever the number is.
Sure. I’ll play.

Absolute swagger:
Saban
Meyer
Dabo
Carroll
Significant sway:
Riley
Stoops
Ed O.
Smart
Sway:
Fisher (gulp)
Kelly
Day
Mullen
Peterson
More swag than Herman:
Ferentz
Chryst
Harbaugh

I’d say the top three categories would get serious consideration from the upper echelon of assistant coaches if they were taking over at Texas. The bottom category likely does better than Herman at a minimum, likely much better.

Sure. I’ll play.

Absolute swagger:
Saban
Meyer
Dabo
Carroll
Significant sway:
Riley
Stoops
Ed O.
Smart
Sway:
Fisher (gulp)
Kelly
Day
Mullen
Peterson
More swag than Herman:
Ferentz
Chryst
Harbaugh

I’d say the top three categories would get serious consideration from the upper echelon of assistant coaches if they were taking over at Texas. The bottom category likely does better than Herman at a minimum, likely much better.
well done

Reactions: McGuapo
ADVERTISEMENT